How Do You Feel About Exercise?

You're a mere baby at 30 .... I'll be 45 <gulp!>

EXCUSE ME SAGITTARIANS RULE ............ KAREN.

WE WILL HAVE TO HAVE A PARTY ON UR 40TH, WHAT FLAVOUR PACK U GONNA HAVE ....LOL I WILL BRING MY CHICKEN

lol. i'll have a tetra shake me thinks. im sure my blender will be broken by then so easier to have a ready-shake!

i wont mind any birthdays after 30. its just saying goodbye to my 20s when i should have been slim and carefree....

oh, and saggies suck! well...the male ones do anyways lol

I love exercise as long as it doesn't seem like exercise. :rolleyes: . I hate going to the gym it is just so so boring I spend all my time clock watching. Ditto keep fit type classes.
I will walk miles and miles. We go hiking up in the Derbyshire Peak District. I love it.
I cycle every day. I cycle 70 miles plus a week!!. It sounds a lot but it's not. Really it's not. I keep a horse at a farm 2.5 miles-ish from home. It takes 10 mins to get there. So two trips a day is 10 miles and takes just 40 mins.
Then of course I ride .. anything from 30 mins to 3 hours pretty much everyday.
Then all the mucking out, lugging water, hay and straw about.
I walk my dogs everyday for about 30-40 mins too.
I use my stepper most days for about 30 mins while I am watching tv.

The great bit is none of it feels like I am exercising.

I had 4 bikes stolen earlier this year. 2 have been recovered by the police. The insurance company have just settled the claim for the other two. So Jan 3rd two nice new shiny bikes will be arriving.

If anyone is near enough to Nottingham the bike I have been using is up for grabs. Ladies raleigh vogue. 28" wheels. 7 gears. Mud guards. I don't want anything for it as I got it from freecycle. Will be available once my new bike is here.

yeh well ive just started the cambridge diet and usually i go to the gym about 3 times a week. I dont want to cut it out totally so im just going to see how it goes and see how i feel.

I want to spend more time there in the evenings either by just using the toning tables or chillin out in the sauna as it will keep my mind occupied!!

I think the problem is that title exercise!!

Haven't you noticed that exercise often evokes thoughts about hard work, sweat, skinny people and that pain in your chest when you haven't done it for a while?

I recently decided to stop calling it exercise and to start calling it movement. When I move my body benefits!

The other thing is why does exercise have to equal the gym :confused:? Why can't it equal walking or salsa dancing or a fun bike ride or just walking up and down the stairs. I sometimes think that we have been sold that exercise means a hard time (no pain no gain).

In 2005 I started training for the 60K Breakthrough Breast Cancer Walk and did it over two days. Last year I did the Hydro Active Women's 5k Run, I walked about a 1/4 of it. I spent so much time thinking that it was going to be hard that when I got to the day went to start with the walkers, but ended up with the joggers, the pace was so slow and there were women of all shapes and sizes doing it.

If we can change our view of it then we can do it, I like what someone said earlier (I think it was Russiandoll) if you can view what you are doing from your point of view and not from others and if you can actually allow yourself to enjoy what you do, you will have a fab time and your body will benefit.

I'm going to do the Hydro Active run again this year and hopefully run all of it, if I don't run all of it, so what, I took part and raised money for my favourite charity.:D

Little by little bit by bit exercise makes a big difference to how you feel and to your energy levels!

Go for it!!!

I can quite honestly say that I don't think anything about anyone at the gym. I mean, I notice other people but that's about it, unless they're on the machine I want to use, or they're someone I want to talk to. I suppose it's because of this that I've never really felt self conscious at the gym, because I expect most people are the same way.

I switched gyms twice when I was 17st+ and the only time I felt self conscious was when they took my photo (me in my South Park t-shirt and horrible tracky bottoms, hair scraped back, red face, no makeup).

The gym is really the only place I exercise (except running occasionally, when it's been long enough since I last did it to forget how much I hate running). When it comes to incidental exercise I'm really lazy. I drive everywhere! I used to cycle everywhere but the same winter that I came off my bike on a patch of ice, I also passed my driving test, and that was the nail in the coffin, sadly. On the other hand, if I'm out at a club or a disco I will dance at every available opportunity, so I'm not a total couch potato! ;)

I think the problem is that title exercise!!

Haven't you noticed that exercise often evokes thoughts about hard work, sweat, skinny people and that pain in your chest when you haven't done it for a while?

I recently decided to stop calling it exercise and to start calling it movement. When I move my body benefits!

The other thing is why does exercise have to equal the gym :confused:? Why can't it equal walking or salsa dancing or a fun bike ride or just walking up and down the stairs. I sometimes think that we have been sold that exercise means a hard time (no pain no gain).

In 2005 I started training for the 60K Breakthrough Breast Cancer Walk and I did it and walked 60K over two days. Last year I did the Hydro Active Women's 5k Run, I walked about a 1/4 of it. I spent so much time thinking that it was going to be hard that when I got to the day I was really nervous so went to start with the walkers but got my courage up and started with the joggers, the pace was so slow and there were women of all shapes and sizes doing it. It was a fab experience, if you can just get started maybe with a walk around the block and progress from there. If you want to start with the gym go ahead just start small and see where you go from there!

If we can change our view of it then we can do it, I like what someone said earlier (I think it was Russiandoll) if you can view what you are doing from your point of view and not from others and if you can actually allow yourself to enjoy what you do, you will have a fab time and your body will benefit.

I'm going to do the Hydro Active run again this year and hopefully run all of it, if I don't run all of it, so what, I took part and raised money for my favourite charity.:D

Little by little bit by bit exercise makes a big difference to how you feel and to your energy levels!

Go for it!!!

I think you are right Fifiqueen. For me anyway. I hate "exercise" but actually do loads. 70+ miles on my bike a week for example. I do find it has to be something to be enjoyed or it won't continue. So no point in doing something you feel you "have" to do.
Yesterday I cycled into the city and it took me 20 mins. Quicker than the bus, cheaper and less hassle!!

But would you at your heaviest even contemplate joining a gym, exercise class or perhaps going for a run? I know that I wanted to go running, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

I've joined gyms *ahem* several times now over the last 8 years, and each time I've given up after a few months. Not because it wasn't showing results, not because I felt self concious amongst all the athletic and toned peeps, but because it was BORING. That I think is the killer, keeping up the motivation.

About 2 years ago, I thought b*gger it, I spend all my time either driving or sitting down, and bought a mountain bike. Fortunately it's true what they say about never forgetting how to ride (it must have been getting on for 20 years) Getting it the 1.5 miles home was a nightmare (I had a sore rear end for a couple of days afterwards!), but I persevered, and decided to aim for riding the 6 miles a day to work and back.

Last year I sold my car, and just used the bike to get around, and public transport when needed. (online shopping helped with the food!)

I felt enormously fitter, and because I was cycling for a reason, and not just for the sake of exercising, found it no problem at all keeping it up.

In fact my mini holiday last year consisted of touring round east anglia, 200 miles in 4 days. Something I could NEVER have seen myself doing a year earlier.

My only problem (which is why I'm now also dieting using CD to try and retrain into eating a balanced diet once I'm down to something reasonable), was I always felt that because i was exercising I could eat as much as I wanted. So the weight never came off. I thought nothing of coming home at night and ordering a 12 inch takeout pizza for example.

Um, so not really sure what the point of that ramble was. Oh yes, diet and exercise is good! One or the other never really worked for me, even if I did feel good with all the cycling!

Also, there is no need to join a gym or go cycling or running. Walking is a perfectly health way to keep fit, and if walking on your own doesn't sound like fun, there are, for example, loads of local walking clubs affiliated with the ramblers association (The Ramblers Association - Home).

E.

When you're ready to get your own bike Karen, I'd recommend an S.U.B (sports utility bike). Mine is a Raleigh S.U.B which means it's a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike ... so it has all the gears & gubbins but has mudguards and a rack on the back for panniers / basket etc. (Nothing worse than a wet muddy a*se when riding a mountain bike with no mudguards!)

It also has semi-slick tyres ... chunky mountain bike tyres are hard work on tarmac! Semi-slicks are chunky at the edges for off-roading and less so in the middle for riding on the roads.

Just some tips :)

Sounds like a great bike, do they come in re-inforced steel .....lol

Hi CC
At my heaviest there was no way, physically, that I would have been able to run (I could barely walk!) but I did join a gym when I weighed 20st and found it very difficult but beneficial.

The gym I went to had a very sensible approach to exercise and devised me a programe of cross training (cardio & weights) and eased me into it very gently.

I did 3 minutes on a cardio machine (rowing, cycling, walking), on low settings so I was getting warm but not being thrashed, then I did 3 weights machines followed by another 3 minutes on another cardio machine. I did this until I'd worked my way around the circuit.

After a month or so, the programme would be changed with longer sessions on the cardio machines on higher settings and fewer weights machines between them: ultimately, the aim was to do one cardio to one weights machine. The good thing about a programme like that was that it was so flexible and never got boring (I can't bear the thought of half an hour pounding a treadmill).

Half the problem with exercise (in my opinion) is that people think that the overweight need to be worked HARD from the outset. It's almost like we're being 'taught a lesson' but all it does is put people off exercising altogether. People who are very overweight and haven't exercised for years (if ever) should be eased into it ... and I really believe that they key isn't just cardio, cardio, cardio but a good combination of fat burning AND muscle toning (weights) - it's the muscle that burns the fat after all so the more toned it is, the more energy it'll demand. I completely agree with you! I remember reading somewhere that 1 lb of muscle burns an extra 50 calories, just by sitting there (well, it doesn't just sit there, hence the extra calories, but I'm not going to go all 'anatomy and physiology' geek on you!). Plus, it takes up less room, so if you weigh, say, 12 stone and have a high proportion of muscle, you'll be a smaller dress size than someone who weighs 12 stone and has a higher proportion of body fat. I think sometimes we all get a bit caught up in the numbers (i include myself here, big time), and forget that no one can 'see' how much you weigh, but they can see what size you are! Also, I think women are terrified of ending up looking like a body builder. Without following a special diet and weight training heavily, this is just impossible.

I know that my sister went to a 'gung-ho' gym where they didn't even let her go near a weights machine for a month - they just thrashed her on cardio equipment until she almost felt sick ... she lasted three months:I'm not surprised, and this is unforgivable!!! But don't get me started on certain fitness trainers!!! Some are fantastic, others, sadly, are not! I went to my gym for two years before moving away.

At the moment, I'm not exercising as much as I should be. However, I'm a member of the gym at Uni and will be returning to regular workouts when I start SSing seriously again in January.

When I AM exercising regularly, I like it .... when I'm being lazy, I can't stand the thought of exercising - it's true to say that lethargy breeds lethargy! :)

I'd also like to do more walking: very brisk walking burns almost as much energy as jogging and is kinder to your joints.

Sorry, got a bit carried away in the middle there, but this is a subject I am passionate about! I think that if people are given the correct information, they can do marvellous things for themselves!

Back