How do you Syn homemade food

Latte

Silver Member
I used to cook and bake a lot but illness meant I couldnt stand for long. Now I am a bit better I want to get back into the kitchen again but I have no idea how to syn recipes?

Do I individually try and syn all the ingrediants and miss out the free food ie eggs or is there a way to enter all the ingrediants and portion sizing on the SW website and get a syn value.

EG
Hobnobs

8oz sr flour
8oz sugar
8oz plain porridge oats (HEB?)
8oz margarine
1tbsp golden syrup
1tbsp hot water
1/2 tsp bic soda

I think you would need to syn individual items contained in the recipie and miss out the free food like eggs as you said x

I believe that is the right way.

Maybe you could have a look at 'The slimming world cake lady' on facebook.
she has lots of sw friendly baking recipies and has the syns all worked out. and the baking looks lush! x

Do I individually try and syn all the ingrediants and miss out the free food ie eggs or is there a way to enter all the ingrediants and portion sizing on the SW website and get a syn value.

You just add up all the syns for everything that isn't free. So in the recipe above:

8oz sr flour = 36 syns
8oz sugar = 40 syns
8oz plain porridge oats (HEB?) = 40 syns
8oz margarine = 64 syns
1tbsp golden syrup = 2 syns
1tbsp hot water = FREE
1/2 tsp bic soda = negligible (a quarter of a syn)

So the whole recipe costs a total of about 182 syns, then divided into how many Hob Nobs you make out of it to work out how many syns per Hob Nob. (So if it made 20 Hob Nobs they'd be 9 syns each, if it made 10 they'd be 18 syns each etc).

That's a pretty 'expensive' recipe, you can reduce syns by using low-fat marg, substituting sugars for sweeteners etc. There's loads of recipes on here for SW-friendly substitutes for things like cakes and biscuits.

Great thanks.
I posted in a hurry and should have said I never use real sugar only splenda
Recipe makes about 60 I think from memory.
I need to check out SW recipes but I don't use Facebook or have an account so will have a mooch and see what else is out there.
I have so many recipe books it would be nice to start using them again.

I believe you can see her page without being a member of facebook!

making 60 biscuits would work out at 3syns each, thats not too bad. and you cant beat homemade biscuits.

I know what you mean though i miss baking, still do it every now and then for friends and family, but its not the same. lol. x

urghhhh! *drools*

those biscuits sound ohh so tempting as i sit drinking my black coffee :cry::cry:

i used to bake heaps mostly with son as he craves touchy feely stuff ..but i was the one who did most of the eating!

so have compromised that once a week they get cake on a sunday for tea after a roast sunday lunch.. i try to get rid of that cake as fast as poss a jumbo piece each much to the delight of my kids but to the moans of my hubs lol
me im good and have none and tbh now i dont miss it at all im happy with low syn jelly and fuit

Back