How has losing weight helped your health?

TRICKYTREE

Hi lovelies
Since I have lost 2 stone and into my 3rd I have noticed the following...
Not feeling so hot!
Ankles don't click in the morning!
Feet and back don't hurt (we do a lot of paranormal vigils where we stand in a location for 60 mins plus)
Knees don't hurt!
Hubby has said my 'nose noises' at night have gone (think that means snoring)
Skin has improved
I generally feel so much better....how has losing weight helped you?
Julie xx
:coffee:

well the doctor sent me for tests 5 months ago as he thought I might be pre-diabetic .................... the day that he said this I joined Slimming World. The appointment came through for 3 weeks later and when I went I had already lost 10lb's and had been exercising every day - the tests came back as perfectly fine.

Other than that, thankfully I didn't have back pain or knee pain etc but I didn't fancy walking the dog each day (but I did do it) as I felt uncomfortable trudging around - now I sprint around (poor dog - he is old) - and I used to get out of breath going up to the top bathroom at home (we are in a 3 storey house) to get the washing for the washing machine on the ground floor.

Feeling REALLY great.

Good Thread.

My back pain has gone from almost crippling to just a constant niggle :D I did fracture several vertabra in my back when I was younger so I will always have pain, but I was blaming everything from sitting at the computer too long and needing a new mattress. I never associated it with my weight until I had lost some.

I also no longer need paramedics on stand by with oxygen masks when I walk up more that 4 flights of stairs - and my spots have largely cleared up :D

I was never what you would call fat, but the 2 stone I dropped in the last 13 weeks since joining SW (about 15% of my starting weight) sure brought the "bounce" back to me.
I feel more fit and energetic, do not feel bloated and while it could be the theater change, I also seem to be breathing better.
The only drawback is feeling the cold like never before plus I feel the face looks older due to a little sag that was not there before.
No complaint here...

I am walking faster according to my husband who i went walking the dog with earlier this week, I do like to walk but was more of a plodder but now i am seriously powerwalking and finding it doesnt take me half an hour to walk to work because i did it in 17 minutes this week and the wind was against me!!!

Also its easier getting up the stairs, i can touch my toes easier so its easier putting my socks on !!! its little things like this that i am noticing lately ... i love it!!

Normal bllod pressure, fitter, happier (since re-starting exercise on a regular basis), feel more confident not only in my body but also shopping, not feel guilty if I have a naughty treat as I know I can move on and deal with it :)

I wouldn't say i was in bad health anyway as i'm only 23 and not really got masses to lose...however, i have always had weak shoulders that sometimes ache at night, even when i was really slim i had this problem but since exercising and strengthening them the pain has stopped!

My mood and perspective on life is 100% better now which is fantastic, i felt a bit of depression creeping up on me a couple of months ago.

I no longer have to take insulin, I can now walk (and do) for miles and never get tired. I feel much lighter on my feet.

BP is reduced and every trip to the docs is getting gasps from medical staff at the improvements.

Only a matter of time before I take up running and at the ripe old age of 46 playing footy again:)

Steve

Hi lovelies
Since I have lost 2 stone and into my 3rd I have noticed the following...
Not feeling so hot!
Ankles don't click in the morning!
Feet and back don't hurt (we do a lot of paranormal vigils where we stand in a location for 60 mins plus)
Knees don't hurt!
Hubby has said my 'nose noises' at night have gone (think that means snoring)
Skin has improved
I generally feel so much better....how has losing weight helped you?
Julie xx
:coffee:

Okay I have to ask, paranormal vigils?? Do tell!

For me, because I'm pregnant the biggest health benefit to doing SW is not having any heartburn at all! When I was eating badly it was horrible. I also have a fairly tidy bump so no back aches or any general discomfort. I'm also experincing an energy surge!

I am, as of this week just 'Overweight' and not 'Obese', it feels good :) am hoping my BP reflects it too!
I also have been playing in the snow, sledging and walking everywhere with my daughter, rather than just looking out the window at it!

Bee x

Yes, I have to admit, going from officially obese to overweight seemed to lift not only a weight off the shoulders, a millstone from around the neck and a lot of "real weight" but the feelgood factor from that simple fact meant more to me than the club 10 award.

Obese is an ugly and harsh word, over-weight is a more encouraging almost sympathetic word. If that makes sense lol.

Steve

Regarding the paranormal vigils, me and Paul, my hubby go to various locations in England with a paranormal company that arrange evening/overnight events. They are professionally run and it is all done seriously. We do hourly vigils with mediums in the dark etc. My favourite, which is where I live in Nottingham, is the Galleries of Justice, which is a court/prison, transportation building dating back hundreds of years...Whether you believe in the afterlife/paranormal or not being in these locations and feeling/smelling/seeing various things is an amazing experience. I used to get back-ache and feet ache but since losing weight I no longer feel this...which is good 'cause we can be standing for many hours...xx

I believe my health has to be much better now than when I was size 24 - I am size 12 now.

HOWEVER - I have had health problems from loosing weight also. My periods have stopped now for over a year, and I got gallstones which is apparently common after huge or rapid weight loss - I did ww so it wasn't hugely fast though! My doc has put both these things down to weightloss. I really do worry about my fertility.

I def have less aches and pains, and generally feel better in myself. But I do honestly believe that I have to be sooooo much healthier now than before, I honestly believe if I had carried on as I was I would have ended up seriously ill.

I also believe my 'mental health' has seriously improved - I look after myself now instead of hating myself, it feels good to have control in my life and I am just so much happier.

I believe my health has to be much better now than when I was size 24 - I am size 12 now.

HOWEVER - I have had health problems from loosing weight also. My periods have stopped now for over a year, and I got gallstones which is apparently common after huge or rapid weight loss - I did ww so it wasn't hugely fast though! My doc has put both these things down to weightloss. I really do worry about my fertility.

I def have less aches and pains, and generally feel better in myself. But I do honestly believe that I have to be sooooo much healthier now than before, I honestly believe if I had carried on as I was I would have ended up seriously ill.

I also believe my 'mental health' has seriously improved - I look after myself now instead of hating myself, it feels good to have control in my life and I am just so much happier.

My goodness you are amazing....on the mental health, what a horrid word 'mental' is isn't it??? Anyway, I recently came of citalopram for anxiety and I must say I do feel better and more confident now I have lost weight....I say this is a present from me TO me
...and yes I am in control so when things happen around me that make me anxious, I look at the fact I have lost weight and feel proud of myself, it just helps me think rationally.....well sometimes.....and I don't turn to food....xx

"For your own health, and how others perceive you, loose some weight".

I got told this as an overweight 17year old by a relative. I ignored it.

By December 1st 2008 (when I joined Slimming World) - i was a chronic over eater weighing in at 27st8.5, I could barely keep up with anyone when walking, and be out of breath after 5minutes. Climbing up stairs was just that - a climb (which when you live in a first floor flat isn't good). My knees and hips ached everytime i stood up if i had been sat for more then a few minutes, and i had no self-confidence or motivation.

Now, just over 2yrs later and significantly lighter - a few weekends ago - i walked over 14miles in one day - pretty much for the hell of it (i'd been thinking of looking around the next town on for a few weeks and just went for it - 4.5miles there, 6 or so back to town for more shopping, and then just the general meander around town) - and i wasn't out of breath - though my legs ached from the excercise - i wanted to keep going. (followed the next day by doing 7miles). People now struggle to keep up with me, and stairs don't bother me either. My mood has improved no end - I was once told by someone i work with "I can't remember much about the old Ian but i do know he was a lot grumpier", and i have confidence and energy that I never knew I had.

It just took me 19yrs (i'm now 36) to realise what that relative meant.

The last time I lost a lot of weight (freshman year of college) I just had a lot more energy. I wasn't terribly overweight to begin with, but it was little things like being able to see a flatter tummy in the shower that made me the happiest.

Back