How many calories to beging with?

faye cheshire

Silver Member
Hi Guys, Having read other posts it seems that 2000 cals is a good place to start but I am not sure. Overall I want to lose 3 1/2 stones, so it's probably best to take it higher to start with as I don't want to come to a stand still later on.

Does that sound about right ?

Thanks for reading this and a big thanks to any replies

Fayex:)

hi faye, I think it is different for everyone. ...I got my figure from my fitness pal.... put in my start weight, activity levels and how much I wanted to lose per week and it gave me a figure. ... I've stuck to that more or less and have lost every week x

Hi Faye

I hope your day is going well. If you haven't already decided how many calories a day you're going to start with, one way to calculate it is to work out how many pounds you weigh now and how many pounds you'll weigh at your target weight. Then multiply the pounds you weigh now by 10 to get your starting calorie amount, and multiply your goal weight by 12 to get your maintenance calories. Once you've got settled into eating your initial calorie amount start reduce your calories very steadily (maybe 5% per fortnight or month) until you're at the maintenance calories figure. You can always step it up again if you struggle. You should find you'll lose weight gradually and your body will adapt to the reduced calorie intake without leaving you too hungry.

If you eat more one day don't worry - your daily calorie intake is a guide not a 'pass or fail' but don't under eat the next day to compensate or you'll end up yo-yoing.

Food that makes you happy is the healthiest food of all so eat things you really like!

Good luck and enjoy your challenge.

Hi hun, Use an online calculator for accuracy such as foodfocus.co.uk which is free and really good as you can log your calories in, calories out and progress. Good luck x

Back