How much exercise?

Baby_Cakes

Dave's little girl
How much exercise is recommended for weight loss?

Is it wise to do say an hour everyday or spread the six/seven hours over less days - say 5?

What have you found that works?

Baby_Cakes said:
How much exercise is recommended for weight loss?

Is it wise to do say an hour everyday or spread the six/seven hours over less days - say 5?

What have you found that works?

My understanding is (& I'm no expert):
At least 30 mins, about 4 x a week.
Gradually increasing intensity and duration as fitness levels increase. Frequency may increase then too but remember that the body needs rest days as well.
An absolute beginner would need to start with what's comfortable for them which may be far less than the above and build up from there.

It is ideal to incorporate cardio, resistance and stretching into the programme. Also remember that exercise works alongside a good diet. :)

(I'm reminding myself here too.....!)

My understanding is (& I'm no expert):
At least 30 mins, about 4 x a week.
Gradually increasing intensity and duration as fitness levels increase. Frequency may increase then too but remember that the body needs rest days as well.
An absolute beginner would need to start with what's comfortable for them which may be far less than the above and build up from there.

It is ideal to incorporate cardio, resistance and stretching into the programme. Also remember that exercise works alongside a good diet. :)

(I'm reminding myself here too.....!)

Agree with everything Trimlee has says, I do 5 cardio classes a week plus running and sometimes badminton on a Sunday, I also park 15 mins from work and walk every day rather than use the nearby carpark, little things like that help.

Any amount is better than none. Better to do a little regularly, than a lot one day and nothing the rest of the week. And you do need rest days, don't even try to exercise every day.

For weight loss, it is important to include some strength training (at least twice a week), and for your cardio to include some more intense sections, amid the light to moderate bits.

Moderate cardio burns calories while you are doing it, and as you gain fitness you can do it for a long time - *if* you've got a lot of time available.

Intense cardio burns more calories per minute while you are doing it, but also burns calories for several hours after you finish exercising.

And strength training does both of the above, but also protects/builds lean muscle, which continues to burn more calories while at rest, 24/7.

So if time is limited, make sure to do some weights, and make your cardio as intense as you can manage.

Barbara

Back