How Slimming World Works - Advice for Newbies (Updated for 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
very helpful indeed, as someone who is doing the plan online its nice to have this level of detail :)

Hi guys. i'm new to these forums. First of all i have to congratulate the original poster for the post, it's very good and informative, also easy to understand for newcomers. i have been doing slimming world for a few weeks and i think it's great. i've had some good losses some weeks (5 lbs, 6 lbs) but i have also stayed the same and put 1 lb on in between. i think one of the most important things is the 1/3 of your plate veg/salad, i have also had some success express meals (2/3 of the plate veg/salad) and i have to say it matters so much. I enjoy going to group and i stay in IMAGE therapy as well.

Oh and i almost forgot! if you try to squeeze in a little bit of exercise and building it up gradually it will make a big difference, just try to do something you enjoy (i do rope skipping and just easy things at home like wii fit or following aerobics dvd's)

I apologize in advance if i didn't express myself correctly in english, i'm not a native speaker.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for doing this thread. It's very helpful!
I'm in my first week of SW (going it alone from home) and I'm finding it hard to get my head around just how much you are allowed to eat. But reading your thread has put my mind at ease a bit :D
Kelly.x

Well , I am armed with books and SW friendly foods so will start tomorrow with a fresh new start. Did CD a few months back, was doing very well, fell ill, diagnosed with overactive thyroid, on tabs now and it appears to be contained. Need to get back to losing weight though, don't have time to go to class so will be doing it alone for as long as I can. I will post starting weight and targets tomorrow. Oh... also signed up for aspire channel swim so will be swimming at least x2 per week to get to my target. Thanks for the threads, I will be an avid reader. Any tips for a successful time? Been a long time since I was at class so my books may be out of date.
XX

I always say to people who don't have the time/money to go to a class, is to go once, it'll will cost you £10 (£15 after promotion) and you can get all the latest info and ask all the questions you need to and be in the knowledge you will get 'professional' answers :)

Other than that, a positive mind is essential. 90% of any challenge success is from mentality.

Don't expect too much from your body, aim for 1lb-2lbs loss per week, don't get too stressed out if you don't always hit that, nor if you sts or gain - especially during star week.

Lastly have fun with it, don't see it as a diet, see it as a plan for life. In the same way you would go to to a evening class to learn a new language. You wouldn't expect to be fluent after the first lesson!

Best of luck with your weight loss journey hun, and we are always here for questions,

Natt xxx

Thanks so much for advice in top post. Could anyone possibly tell me if you are only allowed 3 meals per day on extra easy or can you eat the free foods whenever you want them. Also if i were having bachelors mac cheese on a ee day would this still be 1 syn as it is on green? And as I need max weight loss for a wedding on Sat is ee the way to go do you think ? Cheers everyone in advance xx

Slimming World is definately not a crash diet so it is hard to say what would be the best way to lose a lot in a week. I think you may be getting Extra Easy mixed up with Mix 2 Max (or Success Express).

With Extra Easy you can have as many meals a day as you want, using free foods from both plans, although it is advised that you fill 1/3 of your plate with superfree (free on both red and green) foods.

So yes you can have free foods whenever you want, have a bowl of pasta for a snack and a piece of chicken for another snack later - or both together!

And yes, you take the lowest syn value, so if it's 1syn on green, it's 1syn on Extra Easy :)

I just read that back and fear it may have sounded slightly patronising, and I didn't mean it to!!

Oh one last thing, having minimal syns and healthy extras will not help you lose weight, and can be rather unhealthy. Follow the plan as written and you'll be quids in! (Or should that be lbs in)

very helpful info.. what is mix to max though?

Hi I'm new to this site, just found it and it's great, very informative!

I've just joined Slimming World for the second time. Lost over 2 stone last time but unfortunately stopped going and put most of it back on. Determined to stick to it this time. I only do green as I'm a veggie.

Was just a bit confused about Extra Easy is that only worth doing if I do both green and red days??

Thanx

Mix 2 Max is a variation of the plan that isn't advised for newbies. It's a way of boosting your weight loss if it has slowed down :)

cool cool thankyou.. wont be asking about that just yet. you lost 4 stone i see? god that would be a dream come true for me to lose that. im still apprehensive about this plan simply because i have always associated weight loss with being hungry and not eating much that i liked!

Was just a bit confused about Extra Easy is that only worth doing if I do both green and red days??

Thanx

Hi! Unless you're a pescetarian and eat fish then you have nothing to gain from doing Extra Easy. You would lose one of your HEAs and one HEB so essentially you'd have less to eat.

Extra Easy is great if you enjoy both your pasta/rice etc and your meat/fish as it allows you to eat both in unlimited quantities without weighing.

Green days are ideal for us veggies because you can eat freely all those foods that make up a good vegetarian diet.

Extra Easy is like the new third plan. Orginally there was just Red, then theyintroduced Green, now they introduced Extra Easy.

Some people do only Green, some only Red and some only Extra Easy. It's not a new "use it if your loss is slowing down" and Slimming World as reccommending it for all newbies.

im still apprehensive about this plan simply because i have always associated weight loss with being hungry and not eating much that i liked!

Give this new thread a little look, it might help. A lot of people often comment that they "can't believe they are eating so much and still losing weight". Slimming World have created an extremely well thought out system that ensures weight loss (when followed 100%) whilst never letting you feel hungry and the key of this is in free foods.

The number one rule of Slimming World is ‘everything in moderation’. The idea is to fill up on free foods, keep eating until you feel full – then stop. It’s about learning your body’s limits, whilst not feeling guilty. Learning when your body is full will help you maintain when you get to target.

thanks for this thread as i have just joined sw last thurs and very new to this plan.. had a band last year but that failed and gained 2stone.. wasted money and alot of heart ache..

Thanks I have been on the plan for three weeks and lost one and a half this week (11 1/2 in total) and as I have a lot to loose thought this is going to be slow, but after reading your original post I think that I am not eating enough free foods!! Who would have thought...me not eating enough!!! Thing is I am trying to change my attitude to food so only eat if hungry and I have been very contented on this plan but will try and put in a few more super free food. ta gillxx
Oh by the way how do you get your SW awards in the bottom of your post?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back