How to cook salmon?

Sarah-Jayne

Gold Member
Hey, bit of a blonde question but how do I know im cooking salmon right?

Is it better to make the skin crispy in a frying pan first and then wrap it in tin foil and oven it or oven it first and then crisp up the skin in a frying pan?

Cheers.

Do you eat the skin??? I only ask cos I don't so it doesn't make any difference to me how its cooked.

If I cook it in a frying pan then I cook skin side down for about 4 or 5 mins then turn it over for another 3 or 4 mins. If its a thick piece then pop in the oven for a few mins while you dish up everything else on your plate.

If I cook it in the oven then I just splash with lemon juice, season and bake for about 15-20 mins in a foil parcel.

i normally just wrap it in a foil parcel as it is no cooking first (season ect aswell) then pop it in oven and i always cook it less then the normal time to cook it, u always no wen u over cook it, it all breaks up, cook it 8 mins less and shud be perfect xxx

Starlight said:
I buy steaming bags and pop them in the microwave :)

Yup same here for small pieces for sides I use my steamer or kettle!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I dont eat the skin. I marinade mine in dark soy sauce and ground ginger then pan fry in frylite. Then reduce the marinade and use as a bit of a sauce. I have it with stirfried mushrooms and spring onions and noodles

I had a salmon steak last night and tried something different. I cooked it in foil and spread a laughing cow extra light cheese on top and added prawns and lemon juice. Was quite nice, but I will try Jeanette (Jen3) recipe next time.

Kettle. How do you cook it in a kettle????
I put mine in a parax dish. Some seasoning and White wine vinegar and put it in themicrowave. Yum

caroline5th said:
Kettle. How do you cook it in a kettle????
I put mine in a parax dish. Some seasoning and White wine vinegar and put it in themicrowave. Yum

A salmon kettle not an actual kettle! Although............

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I steam mine in a seperate tray to my veg in my steamer for 20mins. Lovely :) xx

I just season mine with whatever seasonings I fancy and pan sear it. It is nice and quick and it means you have less risk of overcooking it.

There is nothing worse than overcooked dried out salmon.

Back