How to get out of that failing & restarting rut?

Felix

Gold Member
Hi everyone!

I started S&S in January after doing other VLCD's before. I was raring to go at the start and did really well the first couple of weeks, which I was really pleased with as I haven't done well on a VLCD for months! But then things started to slip and I've been messing up and restarting again and again over the past few weeks. This seems to happen to me with every diet I try. I think it's lack of motivation after a few weeks.

I seem to do ok in the week as I'm at work, then I'm pretty tired when I get home so go to bed early. The weekends I really struggle with as me and my OH used to go in to town for drinks/food and I miss doing that :(

I am starting again tomorrow as I have no plans until Easter weekend (we are going to Manchester for the weekend to visit friends) so I'm going to see if I can stick to it until then.

Does anyone else have this problem or just me? I don't know how to keep motivated.

I have the exact same problem. Been on so many diets and I lose for a few months then my motivation starts to wain and I gain again. I'm starting again Friday, fingers crossed we can both do it this time.

I have the exact same problem. Been on so many diets and I lose for a few months then my motivation starts to wain and I gain again. I'm starting again Friday, fingers crossed we can both do it this time.

I hope so! I just need it to 'click' again. I'm joining the gym on Thursday so hopefully even if I do slip up I can do some damage limitation and burn some calories off.. Good luck!

Thanks, you too. My friend is joining my gym in March so will hopefully drag my butt up there.

Hi Felix I am exactly the same. I done soo well then it fell to pieces and I've been crap since! I too need that 'click' and I'm hoping it will re appear tomorrow morning! I plan on leaving money/bank cards at home and taking my shakes to work only!
Really wanna do exercise / gym but no1 wants to come with and I'm such a loser I hate doing things alone!

Lets hope we can both do it xxxxxx

I say "NO NO NO NO NO!" in my head when I'm tempted.

I have the same problem. I've never managed a VLCD for more than 6 weeks (usually 3-4 weeks and I quit.)...

So this time I wrote it on my calendar. 5 weeks then a week refeed then a weeks sensible eating - THEN I'm going for another month. I know it'll slow weightloss but I feel I may actually achieve more than usual.

If I manage another month after this short break i'm going to give myself a month break then try another month.

Today is refeed day #1 and I am feeling much more confident I can maybe reach my goal this time. Might sound odd but having a date in my calendar I could see (and my bf can see) made a difference somehow. Also knowing I'm allowing myself a break has REALLY helped morale too.

I did 4+ weeks 100% lipotrim then these last few days i've added some exante to make it more exciting.

I'm starving today tho!

That's a good plan! Breaking it down in to chunks rather than doing one massive stint of not eating.

Restarted today! I am feeling ok so far. Not hungry this morning so trying to hold off as much as possible before having my first pack.

I'm glad I'm not the only one like this! I keep reading posts where everyone is doing so well :( good luck everyone I know we will crack it eventually!

Hi, I'm exactly the same! I've lost count of the number of times that I've restarted this year :eek:

And I'm forever updating my stats for this forum!

My problem is that my DH is not very supportive of me doing S&S. He keeps insisting that I need to stop eating junk and reduce my portions..... sounds really easy, doesn't it?!! We agreed that I can do S&S for 1 week and if I can stick to it to carry on if not then to try the 5:2 diet as we both know lots of people who have lost weight on this.

Currently, I'm trying to reduce my BMI to below 30 as I'm having problem trying to conceive and need to be in the overweight range in case I need to be referred to fertility treatments. I still struggle even with such good reason as this to stick to the diet :(

I started slim and save way back in the day and lost 2 stone of the 4 that I ideally want to lose

since last summer ive tried and failed to get back on , losing half a stone putting it back on and im all but 7lb away from my heaviest again and im so peed off with myself

i restart on basically a weekly basis but by wednesday ive given up

I have 32 days to lose a stone before i go on holiday and im desperate to conquer at least this as i feel so terrible , have no energy and look bad in my clothes

hopefully if i can do that , i will be spurred on again to complete this diet for the summer

the stupid thing is , I know it works , and its the only thing that has ever worked for me , and when im on it I feel great , so what keeps stopping me and makes me return to bad habits

really frustrating !! I guess i just love food , and all the stuff that is bad for you too :sigh:

I started slim and save way back in the day and lost 2 stone of the 4 that I ideally want to lose

since last summer ive tried and failed to get back on , losing half a stone putting it back on and im all but 7lb away from my heaviest again and im so peed off with myself

i restart on basically a weekly basis but by wednesday ive given up

I have 32 days to lose a stone before i go on holiday and im desperate to conquer at least this as i feel so terrible , have no energy and look bad in my clothes

hopefully if i can do that , i will be spurred on again to complete this diet for the summer

the stupid thing is , I know it works , and its the only thing that has ever worked for me , and when im on it I feel great , so what keeps stopping me and makes me return to bad habits

really frustrating !! I guess i just love food , and all the stuff that is bad for you too :sigh:

I could have written this! I'm exactly the same! I lost 3 stone on Cambridge and have gained a stone and keep losing and gaining the same 7lb. I just want to get out of the 13 stones as I seem to be stuck here. Like you said, I know it works and it works for me so why can't we stick to it? The time we have spent messing around we could have been at our goal by now.

We can do it, just take it a day at a time :)

I tried and re-started for a period of about 2 years before I was ready. The bottom line is - you have to learn to accept yourself the way you are. Yes, you have to accept the 'fat' you first.

If your re-start on a diet feels like constant PUNISHMENT, then you're not ready. If your restart feels like a journey to a 'new' you, then you might just be able to stick it out. It's all about being positive about what you're doing. The diet should be a secondary process and should be a part of the hard work you are putting in for yourself.

It took me a long time to figure it out, every time I'd go on a VLCD (for maximum of 3 days) it felt so bad, so torturous - with no end in sight, just constant punishment and pain. I didn't see that I need to do it for ME, I only thought about the fat and the awful things I'd done.

The diet is a means to an end and should just be part of your life - make it fit in with your routine and then it won't be such an obvious thorn in your side. :)

Me too supersurreytrooper... The bmi 30/ fertility treatment! In currently about 36 cus I seem to have shrink 3 inches as well so gained on the bmi lol u would think its a good enough reason to stick to this diet wouldn't u but I keep fallin off the wagon!

Back on day 1 (again) today and so far so good. An starting up boot camp soon with my cousin too so that'll keep me going... I need to exercise to keep me in the frame of mind and so far no1 has wanted to do anything with me!!

GOOD LUCK LADIES XXX

Kerance - best of luck! I know exactly what you mean about falling off the wagon. As for exercising I'm just walking at the moment. It's been a struggle lately as it's so cold :(

Me too! Me too! Back today after a two (and a bit) week break. Feeling ready again. This time???!!!

good luck all. Xx

Another re-starter here too *hangs head in shame* I have struggled to get back on for over a month but today is my 1st 100% day. I've put on 5lbs and really want it gone again!
It's so difficult when you can't get your head in the game and there are so many people on here who are doing so well and that will give me motivation :)

I've yo-yoed in weight for the past 12 years, in recent years I kept starting diets and then giving up after a stone or so loss. Recently I realised I was heavier this birthday than last and that had I not kept putting off loosing weight I would have been happier on my birthday night out rather than squeezing in to a dress that was too small! Somehow that clicked for me - make sacrifices now and reap long term benefits. I'm doing sns as I have never been this heavy and it made loosing weight seem overwhelming (plus I can't cook). As I get closer to goal I will concentrate on the refeed and lose the last stone slower so I can get used to healthy eating.

so basically my advise to everyone inc myself is don't put it off, so next time you have a special occasion you're not kicking yourself as you're lumpy and don't want to be!

Last edited:
Back