how to make chicken and salad tasty?

366to266

Wanna lose 100lb
I have two problems here.

I've been habituated all my life to having lashings of of oily dressing or salad cream on salad. Without it I am struggling to eat it. Have checked out low cal stuff at Tesco but even then you can have only a tablespoon, which doesn't cover it all. Help!

I'm also used to using a lot of fat and oil to cook meat. Chicken breast cooked without any fat is utterly bland and dry and I just cannot eat it. Tips please?

Thanks!

What about a herb thing you can get for chicken, just sprinkle it on before baking (forgot what its called) or maybe marinade the chicken overnight in a low fat sauce so it takes on the flavours x

Hi gonna

Unfortunately I dislike herby tastes (apart from dill) and don't see how they can keep chicken breast moist :-(

What kind of low fat sauce?

Hi,

I've just bought Caesar dressing spray from Morrisons, which is 1 cal per spray :eek:. I tried it today, and it's really yummy! They also sell a balsamic one. I'm sure they'll be in most supermarkets :)

Good Luck

Carol x

Balsamic vinegar on its own on salads is really nice too :)

Thanks gals!

You can get like a tikka one or garlic one in the tubs in supermarkets, dont think they are many calories

In tubs? I will have to search tesco online. Thanks!

Yeah like schwartz chicken seasoning :) or I sometimes use philidelphia light or bit of pesto then bake the chicken

How do you stop it being all dry, stringy and chewy?

Darling! I see you have now lost over 50lb. How does it feel? I mean, can you feel it as you walk about, as you turn over in bed, as you go upstairs? Give me a preview of what I might feel in a few months ... please :)

My chicken never goes stringy or chewy,I eat mine plain most of the time or if you flatten the chicken then fill it with philly light and then roll ip up and bake its yum! tastes like a kiev without the breadcrumbs lol!

Aw thanks, I do feel alot better!! I can walk easier and thats one of the things my OH has mentioned, I dont waddle any longer (that sounds awful lol) and I can move alot better and walk faster. 3lbs off 4 stone I thought I would look more different, most people would look like a new person but because I am so fat it will take longer for me but I can wait till people start noticing :D I can walk up stairs no problems and turn over in bed easier (god, I dont sound 25 ha!) and I have gone down 3-4 dress sizes but unfortunatly still a loooong way to go, but I am really into it now and enjoying it! never thought I would say that :)
Hope you find someting you like to go on that chicken ;) x

Cheers Gonna! You are doing fantastically well. I know what you mean about people not noticing - my b/f thinks I am the same weight as when he met me in fact I became five stone heavier! (have lost a stone since last summer)

I am right behind you darling don't forget that .. where you lead, I WILL follow, I promise you that, so you cannot go off the rails now, cos you have to set a good example to me and not let me down, hun!

xx

I used to put half a bottle of salad cream onto lettuce -- or anything, really!

I've got some of the Kraft Light dressings at the moment, the light French dressing is 6 calories a tablespoon and the balsamic one is 15 calories a tablespoon. Sarah is right, have as much as you like but remember to count it in your daily calories- and if you think about how low calorie your salad is without dressing, you can feel a bit less guilty about adding a bit of dressing if it makes you enjoy it that bit more :)

Chicken: get the best quality chicken you can, pat dry with kitchen towel, and make sure the pan is hot before you put it in. I use 1 cal spray. This procedure will seal the outside and keep the moisture in. Also, make sure you don't overcook it - cook it until just done. You can use tomato based sauces with it, like pasta ones, to add flavour and general moisture. I pour it over towards the end of cooking and let it finish off in the sauce.

Salads: I discovered soya sauce as salad dressing earlier this year! You don't need a lot, but is low fat so you can be as liberal as you want (watch the salt content though). My favourite is salad made with spinach (more goodness than iceberg!), tomato and cucumber, with steamed salmon (hot) crumbled over and soya sauce over the top. I cook the salmon in the microwave at work :)

Thanks Emma for the tips!

Back