I cant get past day 3 without binging

Gingerlilytea

Hi everyone, I've tried slimming world on and off for nearly a year, the most ive ever stuck to it is 2 weeks (this was when i first began) and I just cant get past day 3. I suddenly just feel the need to go wild and eat as much chocolate and rubbish as I can physically eat. I go to meetings but I still cant get my head straight and stick to it. I have made lots of syn free healthy meals in advance (my freezer is full of them) and I know exactly what to eat and that I can eat to my hearts content (free foods and superfree!) but its never enough - I constantly crave sugar and I dont know how to break away from it. I go to sleep at night thinking of chocolate and biscuits and first thing in the morning it's my first thought. I still have a bar of chocolate every night (using my syns) but it doesnt even cut it. I'm addicted :(

If anyone has been in my position and has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks x

Gingerlilytea said:
Hi everyone, I've tried slimming world on and off for nearly a year, the most ive ever stuck to it is 2 weeks (this was when i first began) and I just cant get past day 3. I suddenly just feel the need to go wild and eat as much chocolate and rubbish as I can physically eat. I go to meetings but I still cant get my head straight and stick to it. I have made lots of syn free healthy meals in advance (my freezer is full of them) and I know exactly what to eat and that I can eat to my hearts content (free foods and superfree!) but its never enough - I constantly crave sugar and I dont know how to break away from it. I go to sleep at night thinking of chocolate and biscuits and first thing in the morning it's my first thought. I still have a bar of chocolate every night (using my syns) but it doesnt even cut it. I'm addicted :(

If anyone has been in my position and has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks x

Can't help but just want you to know you're not alone-I was really good weds and thurs but rubbish since,my days start off well but go drastically downhill,have resorted to sitting on my hands! Lol xx

I'm pretty sure there are lots of people in your position, the best thing you can do is keep trying! Have you spoken to your consultant about this? Maybe they will have some tips? I can't think of any good advice except to not give up! Have you tried options hot choco sachets? They can flavour pretty much everything and they're only 2 syns per sachet! Good for a low syn choco fix. Good luck x

You're not alone, everyone has those days...it's just a case now when I want something that is too synful I talk myself out of it and try to find a low syn alternative that would also hit the spot. Maybe buy in some kit kats? 5 or 5.5 syns for 2 sticks (I can't remember the exact syn value) but to me they are always enough to satisfy any sweet craving. Muller lights are also good, especially when frozen...it's just like eating ice cream and gives you a sweet fix.

The next part sounds SO bloody patronising but it's not meant to be, perhaps it's just not the right time for you to lose weight? I've tried a million times before and would end up binging a few days in and giving up, this time I have maybe had 5 bad days in the 9 weeks I've been doing SW....mainly due to alcohol as opposed to food. I just feel different this time, it's what I really want, and by saying that I don't mean that you don't want to lose weight but I think there has to be an absolute drive and determination inside you!?! That is obviously just my personal experience and I'm not sure if it's overly helpful but I hope so.

I can't really help but just wanted you to know I feel for you because I'm the same, I go about a week. I'm trying to keep busy, I find rainbow drops are low in syns and they really help ease the sugar craving :) good luck x

I'm the same if i tell myself i can't have a treat, i allow myself enough syns so I don't feel like I can't have treats.

I had a 2 syn options hot chocolate last night and it hit the spot, it felt naughty but it isn't at all.

Chocolate alpen lights help me alot too, you can two for a HXB, or 3 syns for one.

You are definitely not alone in how you are feeling, I am a binger unfortunately but I keep telling myself that is why I need to lose weight now.

I haven't been back on sw long so I can't help much with more low syns snacks but I know what the wanting chocolate constantly feels like.

What I do, and it's probably not the best advice but works for me, is that I find something I REALLY want. After wi on a Wednesday evening I can have that then and I don't count the syns. It can be anything. This Wednesday it's going to be a jam doughnut. I find I can focus more then because I'm looking forward to my 'treat'. I still have wine/choc during the week (most days actually) and syn them, but I always have something that's classed in my book as 'too naughty' then. It's been things like a trip to the chippy, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, etc. etc. It works for me, but like I said probably not the healthiest by a long stretch and might not work for others xx

What I do, and it's probably not the best advice but works for me, is that I find something I REALLY want. After wi on a Wednesday evening I can have that then and I don't count the syns. It can be anything. This Wednesday it's going to be a jam doughnut. I find I can focus more then because I'm looking forward to my 'treat'. I still have wine/choc during the week (most days actually) and syn them, but I always have something that's classed in my book as 'too naughty' then. It's been things like a trip to the chippy, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, etc. etc. It works for me, but like I said probably not the healthiest by a long stretch and might not work for others xx

I do this too!! After weigh in a treat myself and dont count it iv always had weigh in day as a day off (naughty i know) but it doesnt efect my weigh in the next week.

When i first joined slimming world i lost nearly 4 stone! I then left and stayed the same wanted to try at home to lose more but couldnt do it! So went back and my head wasnt in it so left for a while!
I recently rejoined and its working so far! I have those days though where i just want to eat everything naughty but then i picure how far iv come and what i want to look like and what clothes in dying to actully look good in. Keep going you can do it xx

I have found the Alpen lights to be a lifesaver, especially the choc and fudge ones. That and an options hot chocolate. I ran out of Alpens and on all 3 days have eaten chocolate whereas the days I had the Alpens, I was fine :)

I have found the Alpen lights to be a lifesaver, especially the choc and fudge ones. That and an options hot chocolate. I ran out of Alpens and on all 3 days have eaten chocolate whereas the days I had the Alpens, I was fine :)

Me too!! x

Also, crackerbread (I was told by my old class leader that 7=1 HEB) with Nutella (4 syns per tblsp) is good as a snack. This was, and still is, my saviour as I have an incredibly sweet tooth. Slice a banana over them and you get a satisfying, filling chocolate hit. Hope you get past this bump in the road, and that you have a smooth journey from then!

You could put options hot choc 2 syns i think in plain yougurt tastes so nice!! Or put two choc and fudge in the microwave for a few secs to make them all goey hexb on a green day (not sure abou other days) or have low syn goodies like a curly wirly a day my fav is a small bag of maltersers more syns but at least i get to enjoy a pack a day lol

Oddly enough I went through a similar phase a couple of years ago - I would start off great after WI and then after 3 or 4 days I would lose the plot. Dare I suggest, that maybe you're just not ready to do it at the moment - I know I wasnt but when it all clicked into place for me I broke the pattern.

Goos luck - am not being negative and saying you should give up by the way, just suggesting that to maybe leave it a month or so and then try again x

This is my fave treat every night too. I do red and green plans so make sure I save my second b for the alpen lights. The options hit the spot too. Dont know what I would do without them

The next part sounds SO bloody patronising but it's not meant to be, perhaps it's just not the right time for you to lose weight? I've tried a million times before and would end up binging a few days in and giving up, this time I have maybe had 5 bad days in the 9 weeks I've been doing SW....mainly due to alcohol as opposed to food. I just feel different this time, it's what I really want, and by saying that I don't mean that you don't want to lose weight but I think there has to be an absolute drive and determination inside you!?! That is obviously just my personal experience and I'm not sure if it's overly helpful but I hope so.

Absolutely this! Like everyone else on here I will have told myself hundreds of time I need to lose weigt, diet starts on monday etc etc. Until your head clicks into place you're fighting a losing battle. I hope you 'click' soon, because it's worth it and there's no way that you'll be cracking after 3 days if your head is in the right place and driving you to succeed! Lots of luck x

I read another thread where someone has what ever sweet treat they want, but also has 1/3 superfree. Like a bowl of ice cream with fruit on top? I might give this a go when I get the urge to binge. It would be easy to gulp down several bowls of ice cream in an evening, but with a big pile of fruit it might put the breaks on a bit. I guess you could do the same with chocolate bars, :)

Hi,
I have experienced this too, you're defo not alone. Maybe write a list of pros and cons for sticking to the plan. When you feel a craving ask yourself what do you want more, the choc (or whatever the craving is) or a loss at next weigh in. Or give yourself a mark out of 10 everyday for how important losing weight is for you at that time. If it's a 6 or less then maybe now isn't the right time to be trying to lose. Sorry if this sounds patronising, I really don't mean to, it's just some of the things I've had people say to me that have helped me get in the right mind set to be on plan. Good luck!! xx

I can totally relate to everything that has been said here. I was actually diagnosed with having Binge Eating Disorder some years ago (though I'm not a label fan and it actually gave me license to binge more!) and I have started around 3 diets a month for the last 14 years. The only difference with this time is that I am totally in the right head space. I know it's an uphill battle, and I know sometimes it's bloody hard.. but I want the end result so badly that I am ploughing on. The only way I can do this is by being rather anal and controlling about it, thus I am now halfway through day 21 of 100%. I know bad days will come, but I am stock-piling all these good days to help me through those not so good times. Losing weight is hard, definitely, but living a half-life is harder still. My honest suggestion would be that you take a step back and spend a few days really thinking about whether you are ready to do this. There's no shame in not being ready, It's taken me almost 15 years! Please know that so many of us understand exactly what you are going through, and we are always here to help you. Unfortunately, though, nobody else can do it for you. I hope that doesn't come across as mean, I'm just being realistic. Big hugs xx

i never expected so many responses - thank you all so much. I'm getting married in february and it feels like the biggest motivation ever. the binging has reached its worst point just now, yesterday i ate 2 full packets of rocky chocolate bar biscuits in one sitting (theres something like 12 in them) and today i ate half a packet of rich tea biscuits, half a packet of cream crackers and cereal bars. i think i could probably do with a trip to the dr's to talk about depression (i have suffered on and off for 10 years) because i just seem to be losing it completely! im not giving up on slimming world, i know i can do it, but every time i binge it makes me feel so bad i just do it all again. totally obsessed with food! a few things im thinking about doing is binning everything i binge on so that there is no temptation and also to look at my syns weekly instead of daily. i know slimming world advises you not to flexi syn (apparently this is a new thing) but i feel as if i look at it this way i may feel less restricted and then maybe i wont be as tempted? im thinking of filling a box with goodies that total to my weekly syn allowance and then if i need to have 2 chocolate bars a day or a handful of biscuits it wont be as bad. i feel like i need to hide from my own mind! sorry most of that ramble wasnt sw related but i am really touched by the responses. i wont give up! x

Back