"I enjoyed it so it's worth it"

cocktailprincess

Still rockin' it
Hi

I see this occasionally on posts and have thought it many times in the past after eating high fat, high sugar food.

How many times have we all used this as justification for going off plan?

Without sounding too preachy, I just wanted to say that I enjoyed every mouthful of food I ate pre-SW when I gained my weight. I enjoyed all the cake, chocolate, crisps, massive portions, bread, cheese and nuts...... I enjoyed it all, right up until I got on the scales and was 19 stone.

Nothing is worth that- no food treat on earth can be worth the misery of being overweight.

great words of wisdom - it never tastes as good as you imagine it to be!!!

thanks

Congrats on 6 1/2 stone - what a fantastic achievement!

I totally agree - funny thing is that I have not craved 'bad' food at all - and it is such a relief to eat well again (we are so funny sometimes).

I think that it is all about being caught in a trap - once you break free with a decision to lose weight, it is amazing at how wonderful life tastes.

For me, I love the feeling of not feeling guilty and having pleasure in what I choose to eat now.
x

'no food treat on earth can be worth the misery of being overweight' thats a very good saying - a bit like what I say to myself at 'nothing tastes as good as slim feels!'

Brilliant post Cocktail Princess. I do think that we say to ourselves "that was so delicious, it was worth it" so that we can justifiy it to ourselves. And I think that in that moment we do forget the feelings of guilt, letting ourselves down, wishing that we'd just been stronger. And even the pleasure we do get out of it does not last that long. That has been a major falling off the wagon lesson I have learned!

great words of wisdom - it never tastes as good as you imagine it to be!!!

thanks

I definitely agree with you too Pudgy Panda. The amount of times ive eaten something and not really enjoyed it. Also ive eaten it that fast sometimes that its not even touched the sides and I just think "it wasnt even worth it I didnt even take the time to savour it".

Also when your daily eating is made up of those naughty things they become boring and not a delicious treat. Whereas if you have these things as an occasional treat you appreciate them and enjoy them so much more. But hey if i;d listened to my own advice I wouldnt be on this forum now, lol! At least im learning now and doing something about it :D!

I agree.

But I also think that life is for living, and the odd non SW meal/treat doesn't do anyone any harm, as long as you are not binging day in, day out.

My theory is there is no point being skinny/slim if you have no life.

What is the point of being able to fit into that fabulous dinner gown, if you cannot enjoy the meal that goes along with the ball!!

Sometimes the SW just does not fit in with real, fast paced, fun loving life, no matter how much anyone says otherwise.

Enjoy the odd treat, but dont gorge.
I think there is definately a difference.

With all due respect, you admitted it yourself, you ate all the wrong things, and huge portions (like the rest of us, hence us being here together!!) BUT at the same time, you (and us) probably did those things all day every day....One "aaahhh I enjoyed it" meal wont make you 1,2,3+ stone overweight

Brilliant post CP!
I always say that NO food tastes anywhere as good as feeling slim feels.
SW has change my whole outlook on food.
The other day I was on a train and thought I'd treat myself to some Quavers. That's the first time I had any kind of "fat" crisps since SW, and believe me I was addicted to them before. Not only did I not enjoy them at all, I actually felt guilty that I wasted syns on such rubbish!

I agree.

But I also think that life is for living, and the odd non SW meal/treat doesn't do anyone any harm, as long as you are not binging day in, day out.

What is the point of being able to fit into that fabulous dinner gown, if you cannot enjoy the meal that goes along with the ball!!

Sometimes the SW just does not fit in with real, fast paced, fun loving life, no matter how much anyone says otherwise.

I agree that life is for living, however for me personally, 1 treat lead to a 3mth binge where I put on 1 stone. That was a extremely painful lesson to learn. But, everyone is different and if you can enjoy the occasional treat without it derailing you than more power to ya. But I know myself inside out, but have only just started to truely listen to myself and I know that until I am at goal one treat will lead to a free for all.

Now im not saying that being at goal is a magic wand because its not, but I know that ill have learned to have control and to not waste the efforts I have put in. Im also learning that eating constant junk for more than a day without some good stuff mixed in soon takes its toll on me. So this tells me I need the naughties to be a treat and not the main event. This definate applies to when I am at goal too. I have chosen to be strict until I get to goal because this works for me. I tried the road of using syns to enjoy treats and flexi syns on nights out but it just got out of control.

But as I said this is just me and everyone is different. What works for one might not work for another. Some may be horrified at the thought of not having their nightly chocy fix, lol, I know that I havent enough control for that. Im an all or nothing girl but I am in training to change that!

Also SW can be difficult to fit into normal life sometimes, but it can been done. It does take planning and determination but for me it is worth it. I was invited for an Indian this Saturday. The restaurant is owned by a friend of a friend and he will cook what I want without oil etc, however last time I went, I had good intentions but when I got there I thought "stuff it". It was deliscious as Indian is my fave food but I was disappointed in myself. So I have declined the invite so my hubby will be going without me, lol, but it doesnt bother me because I know im saving myself from what will be a dangerous situation, lol! So for me Indians are going to have to wait. When Im at goal me and my hubby are going for a posh Indian, that keeps me going, lol!

Phew, sorry for rattling on :D!

I totally agree with that last post malaika - i treated myself to some chocolate recently for this first time in 6 months!!! and do you know what it did nothing for me! It made me realise I hadn't been missing out on anything!! if I fancy chocolate now I have a muller light with sprinkles and it hits the spot perfectly with no syns! All they need to do know is make syn free wine and my life is complete! lOL! C xxx

All they need to do know is make syn free wine and my life is complete! lOL! C xxx

Now wouldn't that be a dream come true?
I was also a choc-a-holic, and a bread-a-holic and gave them up as one or two was never enough. I don't miss any of it all all, and can walk past any chocs now, and have an open box staring at me and I don't actually want any... same with bread... YUCK!! ;) Mind over matter..
But I do agree Muller with Choc bits fix any sweet craving!

same here - I've heard when you start eating healthy your tastes do change - and i really think it's true. I hardly ever eat bread now.... although I had a small wholemeal roll recently as a healthy B and my god I was full for HOURS! ha ha ha! how i used to eat so much bread I'll never know!!!!!!!!! c x

Whilst i understand its a personal choice, to me, declining a night out with my partner because of slimming world isnt an option. X

Whilst i understand its a personal choice, to me, declining a night out with my partner because of slimming world isnt an option. X

I guess that this all depends on why you want to lose weight.
If it is for health reasons, then not going out for an indian meal (generally high in fat content), seems like a good idea.

I get the everything in moderation, but sometimes, you may just have to accept that there are some foods that you may never be able to eat again.

I come from a family where there is a history of high cholestral (spelling!), therefore, I choose not to eat food which is high in unstaturated fat.

SW is incredibly flexible and a plan for life - I can't see where it would impact on (my) ability to enjoy life!!!! ;)

No wonder I am so confused and mixed up! I started agreeing with the first post, then carried on and read the others and found myself agreeing a bit with those - a little wont hurt - . But unfortunately, I cant seem to stop at a little, a little leads to a little more just cos I still lose weight and I seem to be constantly stretching how much more I can eat and still lose weight - not really the way to go. Not surprising I have put back on the 5 stone I lost 2 years ago.

Need to change the attitude so will go back to the beginning and agree that although I may love the taste at the time, within 10 minutes I am sorry that I've eaten it.

Now I think I know my own mind again.

If you GENUINELY mean it when you say "it was worth it" then I think thats wonderful as some nice memories or sensations must have been experienced (without guilt or self admonishment) . Im puzzled as to what the "worth it" actually is though" ??:confused:
worth it not to have lost weight, or STS or what ??? Is this a defense response for not achieving what you wanted or perhaps what other people expected. I'm confused??

what a good thread and with a great variety of responses and attitudes:)

I aim to have an easter egg at easter after giving up chocolate up for lent, but dont think i will be saying it was worth it, just that it was absolutely wonderful to have that indulgent treat ;)

Thats your choice and thats fine! But I know my weaknesses and I know that Im not ready to put myself in a situation where im 99% sure ill cave in and fall off the wagon again because I am not ready for that kind of temptation yet. I really want to lose this weight and turning down a few invitations out so that I dont go off track is no big deal. It will be worth it when I reach my target and im healthy and slim. my hubby is in full support of me. He knows my weaknesses and totally understands why I do not want to go. Anyway he gets a boys night out and I get the tv to myself :D and ill proberly do a workout dvd so everyones a winner!

Im not saying ill never eat these things again because I will. I enjoy treats and sharing them with my hubby and I will incorporate them into my lifestyle when I am at my target. But losing this weight is not just about being slim but about being healthy. Im only 30 but I felt like an old woman. So if getting to where I want to be means missing a few meals out then I think its a small price to pay for the reward. Plus I have 7stone to lose so I need to get this done!

No wonder I am so confused and mixed up! I started agreeing with the first post, then carried on and read the others and found myself agreeing a bit with those - a little wont hurt - . But unfortunately, I cant seem to stop at a little, a little leads to a little more just cos I still lose weight and I seem to be constantly stretching how much more I can eat and still lose weight - not really the way to go. Not surprising I have put back on the 5 stone I lost 2 years ago.

Need to change the attitude so will go back to the beginning and agree that although I may love the taste at the time, within 10 minutes I am sorry that I've eaten it.

Now I think I know my own mind again.

I have done this in the past, Ive had some treats and lost weight so I thought I could get away with it but then the next week a few treats turned into a week off the diet and that was that I couldnt get back on for ages.

Food has alot to answer for, its not as simple as "dont eat that or eat less" or we wouldnt all be here.

If you cant stop at one, then whether you choose to play with fire by allowing treats then risk falling off the wagon depends how much you want it!

Ive messed around for 10yrs, wasted my 20's and ill never get them back. I want to live my 20's in my 30's :D and I will!

Back