Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

I just don't get it - sushi related question!

Discussion in 'Syn Values' started by gembirdooh, 10 June 2010 Social URL.

1. gembirdooh

gembirdooh New Member

Hi all

First time poster here so sorry if I'm being a dullard!

Can someone explain to my why Sushi has a syn value - I just don't understand.

I get that the ones with cream cheese in the middle are going have a bit of syn about them but what about the ones that are just rice with a bit of prawn or salmon on top or the rice with a bit of pepper or cucumber in the middle - surely there can't be anything synful in those?

Do the syn values in the basic foods include the wasabi and pickled ginger? I never eat those bits so am I counting syns that I haven't actually had?

Sorry if this has been discussed before I did do a search of the forum and couldn't see it.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. cocktailprincess

cocktailprincess Still rockin' it

Start Weight:
    18st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st13lb
    Lost(%):
    8st1lb(42.64%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World - On-line member
    It is SW being lazy!

In the old days of red/green you would have had to syn the rice on a red day and syn the fish on a green day. When EE was introduced they told us to take the lowest syn value of the red/green amounts- but this doesn't account for all red/green food being free even when in the same meal as with EE. (hope I am making sense)

This is a big gripe of mine!

I eat sushi all the time as it is my FAVOURITE food of all- as long as I am confident that it contains no mayo, cream cheese or sesame seeds then I count it as free

xxxx

4. gembirdooh

gembirdooh New Member

Thank you that makes perfect sense - I'll keep it free as you suggest and just go for syns on the creamy / seedy ones!

I've been doing SW (second time round) for 4 mths and I thought I had a pretty good grasp of how it worked but the Sushi thing has always bemused me!

I can sleep easy now!!

5. Honeyoc

Honeyoc Is a crunchy mama!

Start Weight:
    13st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st9lb
    Diet:
    Healthy Eating
    In sushi making the rice is dressed with a sugar & vinegar solution, it's not plain rice so syns come in there as well.

6. BritMumInCanada

BritMumInCanada Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    yep the rice has a sugar added to it, hence the syns. Still quite low syns though, so worth it imo. I love it.

7. cocktailprincess

cocktailprincess Still rockin' it

Start Weight:
    18st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st13lb
    Lost(%):
    8st1lb(42.64%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World - On-line member
    Glad to put your mind at rest- lol

There are some syns in roasted seaweed- it is half a syn per sheet, but the amount they use on one piece makes it negligible. You may want to be prudent and just say 1 syn overall, but I don't think a few slivers of seaweed will make much difference.

Wasabi is 2.5 syns per 1 level tablespoon (although you would have to be insane to eat that much- it would blow your head off) and pickled ginger I have always counted as free as it's ingedients are free

Don't know where you live, but in Manchester there is a superb sushi place that is very cheap in the printworks called 'wasabi'- this may be no use to you but it is my favourite place in the world- much nicer than Yo Sushi

Sorry- I tend to go on a bit lol

xxx

8. Honeyoc

Honeyoc Is a crunchy mama!

Start Weight:
    13st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st9lb
    Diet:
    Healthy Eating
    I do love a good sushi! There's a new place near my work where you have your sushi freshly made for you from a selection of fillings. I love the fact that I can choose which fillings I want and hold the mayo, avocado etc. That way I can keep the syns to a minimum.

9. Eternalflame

Eternalflame Excited about the new me!

Start Weight:
    16st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(4.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    I love Sushi too, and Tesco have a good selection for value you can't beat them. I think you have to count it as it has mirin in or rice wine or something, lol.. x

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.