I want a success tattoo!

zoe.

Please can I pick your brains? I want a tattoo on my wrist / hand, just a small one, to remind me of what I've achieved and what I want to achieve...

I'm trying to refocus my eating, taking it one meal at a time. My motto is "taking it one choice at a time", and I write on my hand to remind me to make good choices because of my end goal.

I'm starting a new life in September. My husband left me last year, so I'm now single mother to 2 pre-schoolers. September sees my divorce come through, I'm starting a new career, and I'm finally aiming to get my head straight about food and weight, and to learn to look after myself.

I'd love something that would symbolise all of that, but in an itzy bitzy tattoo, to look at and remind me of who I am and what I can achieve. Does that make sense?

I thought about tattooing my ideal weight 130lbs, in roman numerals, but I may not reach that weight and still be happy. Also, weight isn't everything. So I thought about a motto, but can't think of a good, short one.

Any ideas? I'd really appreciate it!

I was thinking of having a tattoo done when I reach goal. I too want something small. Not sure what of, or where I'd have it exactly, so am looking forward to people replying to your thread!

I have a chinese symbol on my left ankle already, have had that for 10 years now :)

Find something meaningful to you, that's the best advice I can give you. i've got 10 tattoos and there are 3 of them that I deeply regret so I'd urge you to be 1million per cent sure before you get one. I've got a tattoo on each wrist and it's not that painful to be honest-I've had worse!! I'm in the process of a total life change as well and I'm planning on tattooing some song lyrics on my wrist to remind me of how far along I've come. The lyrics are quite apt in my circumstances, maybe something like that? Or a star to represent each weight loss milestone? I'm sure you'll think of something ;)

Ooh I like the star idea... mmm.

The symbol means Heart, Mind and Spirit :) I've always wanted to get another but not got round to it yet lol. It didn't really hurt much from what I can remember :)

Hi Zoe,

Yes appleshape is right, think long and hard about what and where you want for your tattoo before getting it done. I have quite a few tattoos (I'm just a tad obsessed with tattoos!) and I absolutely LOVE all of mine. But I had each image/idea for at least a year before I actually went and had it done. It is important to pick something that has meaning to you, whatever that may be, either a word, symbol or picture. Plus you need to research tattooists in your area and find a GOOD one on recommendation! There are so many bad tattooists out there, they won't do a good job and you'll end up unhappy with what you get. A good tattooist will be able to give you some ideas if you go in with a basic idea of what you want, they will be able to advise and draw you up a custom one off design.

Never go to a tattooist that just does tattoos from the tattoo flash on the wall!!! Good tattooists may have some flash up in their shop for some inspiration to people, but they won't do flash designs as they don't like to do the same thing over and over. Also a good tattooist will have a big portfolio of photos of work they have done that you will be able to browse to see what their style is like.

You can get a lot of inspiration from googling images. Maybe go for a really motivational word in a nice fancy script? Or even something random, but you'll know it's meaning, like a flower or a fairy etc! When I get to my target weight I have a tattoo planned that hubby is getting for me, I'm having a beautiful geisha girl on my thigh.

Good luck with your choice x

Thank you so much for your advice. I will take it all onboard. I'm not planning on getting my tattoo until September to give me a good amount of time to think it through.

I'm thinking at the moment maybe something to do with freedom - a bird maybe? To signify freedom through the divorce, freedom from my food issues and excess weight, and the fact I'm free to make my own choices, and make my own future.

Needs more thought...

Thank you so much for your advice. I will take it all onboard. I'm not planning on getting my tattoo until September to give me a good amount of time to think it through.

I'm thinking at the moment maybe something to do with freedom - a bird maybe? To signify freedom through the divorce, freedom from my food issues and excess weight, and the fact I'm free to make my own choices, and make my own future.

Needs more thought...

Funny you should mention a bird, I was thinking of a phoenix as they're supposed to represent change. You have plenty of time to think about it-you'd be amazed at the ideas you'll have when you're not really thinking about it

I was thinking about one too but still haven't managed to come up with anything yet! Good luck. x x

Ooh a phoenix, lovely idea! That's on my shortlist, thanks. I haven't done any real research yet, but I'm keeping an open mind to ideas x

Ooh yes a phoenix or other type of bird would be great. Get googling pictures and I'm sure you'll soon come up with some ideas. I bet there are some amazing phoenix pictures around. Just bear in mind the size, if it's really detailed it's needs to be a bigger tattoo. If you want a small tattoo go for a nice simple design. Good luck and keep us posted, I love hearing about other people's tattoos x

phoenix_tattoo_design_by_icarosteel.jpg

phoenix_tattoo.jpg

Here's a couple I was looking at the other day. I love the top one but think that would have to be quite big to look that good. The simpler tribal one is quite nice. x

Oh frijj, I think they're both gorgeous! I want it small so would have to go with something simpler, like the bottom one. Thanks for this!

You're welcome. You'll have to post a pic after it's done. Have you decided where you're having it yet? x

Hey i'm a bit of a tattoo addict and would definately advise to think long and hard about what you what, and once decided make sure you're certain!!
If you want something small one thing i could recommend is a butterfly, they symbolise many many things, mainly rebirth and strength, also, they can be very simply drawn if you only wanted an outline? Maybe try drawing what you want, then take it to the tattooist to redraw? Thats what i always do!!!
I'm jealous now i want a new one!!!
xxx

Avtually Shello a butterfly is an awesome idea, there are so many different ones you can have, and have your favourite colours in there too. Plus being as you want something small that would be ideal, although a small bird would also work. I have two butterflies in one of my tattoos:

Attachments

• My tattoo.jpg
    My tattoo.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,899
Stirky your arm looks amazing! :D

I've currently only got two little stars on my wrist to represent my niece and my nephew and I've been working on (for about 6 months now) a design for my next one which is going to be a swallow/anchor sort of combination that has a lot of various meanings to me but I have no clue where to put it - thinking inside forearm. BUT, I'm only 17 so I want to make sure I've spent a very good amount of time sure of how I want and where I want it.

Other than all the advice everyone else has given you, I think you should also make sure that you get it done somewhere clean - I've seen some really scummy places before.

Ultimately it has to be your choice, but I think these ones are really cute.

3399973878a3409014235b190451353l.jpg

resized.php

Yes, butterfly definitely going on my shortlist too, thanks! It would fit better around my wrist somewhere than a phoenix, although I love the phoenix idea...

Go with what you LOVE and not what you like. If you'd rather have a phoenix - there WILL be a way to make it fit on your wrist without being too big!

Thanks AnaVK for the advice. I'm not making the decision now (phew!), just compiling a shortlist before doing some more research.

Any ideas on where on my wrist I could fit a discrete tattoo? What I really want is something that I'll see regularly and remind me of what I can achieve / am trying to achieve etc.

You look like you're doing really well on Lighter Life - I'm going to pop along to your blog shortly and have a read. Good luck on it!

Back