i_am_plankton's vegan adventures

Hi, I have been reading your thread, I too became vegan on 24/6/13! After 25 years of being vegetarian. I have lost a stone in that time but not really done anything to loose it other than being vegan.

I have a trip coming up in Nov to Japan and want to loose 2 stone and be healthier/fitter by then. I used to go to SW when I lived in England but after emigrating to Australia where there are no classes I stopped following it.

I want to do it again but being vegan and living in Australia May prove difficult in terms of Syn values etc. any help/guidance you could provide would be very welcomed ☺️

Hey really good to hear from you, SW is so adaptable to a vegan diet and I find it quite easy to follow the plan, I've tried to do a post almost every day since I started the diary (although have had a couple of weeks off plan at the moment but joining my local SW group this week) so you're welcome to have a flick through for ideas etc :) More than happy to help with anything you need to know etc, it's good to meet a fellow vegan!

I need to find that same brand, I put my tin of mock duck in the calculator and it came out at over 45 syns! So maybe check memmarmite!

Wow - which brand was that? I buy either the Granose one from H&B or the stuff in the blue tins from the Chinese supermarkets

Tuesday 29th April:

Didn't weigh today as I am joining my local group on Thursday whilst I still have a bit to lose as I am struggling a little by myself at the moment and want to get to target desperately.

B - 35g porridge oats (HEB) with Oatly milk from allowance (part HEA) and 4 tsps agave nectar (2 syns)
S - Pear
L - Wholemeal roll (HEB), Food Doctor cous cous pot (1.5 syns), pickled vegetables and Alpro soya yogurt (2 syns)
S - Sliced strawberries and raspberries
D - Shepherds pie (soya mince, onions, carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, oxo cube, vegan worcs sauce, tomato puree, garlic, herbs and 1/4 packet of Schwartz shepherds pie mix - 1.5 syns) topped with mashed potato and mashed sweet potato with 7g vitalite (2 syns) and green beans

Total syns: 9

Last edited:
Wednesday 30th April:

B - 35g porridge oats (HEB) with Oatly milk from allowance (part HEA) and 4 tsps agave nectar (2 syns)
S - Pear
L - Wholemeal roll (HEB), vegetable stir fry (150g Tesco EV frozen stir fry - 1 syn with wholewheat noodles and 1/3rd packet of Blue Dragon black bean sauce - 2.5 syns) and Hartleys mango and passionfruit 10 cal jelly pot (half a syn)
D - Shepherds pie (soya mince, onions, carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, oxo cube, vegan worcs sauce, tomato puree, garlic, herbs and 1/4 packet of Schwartz shepherds pie mix - 1.5 syns) topped with mashed potato and mashed sweet potato with 7g vitalite (2 syns)
200ml chocolate Oatly (HEA)

Total syns: 9.5

Last edited:
Thursday 1st May:

S - Pear
L - Wholemeal roll (HEB), vegetable stir fry (150g Tesco EV frozen stir fry - 1 syn with wholewheat noodles and 1/3rd packet of Blue Dragon black bean sauce - 2.5 syns) and Hartleys blackcurrant and blueberry 10 cal jelly pot (half a syn)
D - Casserole (mock duck, carrots, onion, swede, vegan worcs sauce and 1/4 packet of Schwartz beef and ale stew mix - 1.5 syns) with sweet potato mash (made with 7g vitalite - 2 syns)

Total syns: 9.5

Last edited:
Friday 2nd May:

Joined my local group last night and feel motivated and supported to have a good loss at weigh-in next Thursday evening, wish me luck!

S - Pear
L - Wholemeal roll (HEB), vegetable stir fry (150g Tesco EV frozen stir fry - 1 syn with wholewheat noodles and 1/3rd packet of Blue Dragon black bean sauce - 2.5 syns) and Hartleys mango and passionfruit 10 cal jelly pot (half a syn)
D - Casserole (mock duck, carrots, onion, swede, vegan worcs sauce and 1/4 packet of Schwartz beef and ale stew mix - 1.5 syns) with potatoes and 7g vitalite (2 syns)

Total syns: 7.5

Last edited:
Not very good at filling this in at the moment because I'm doing a paper food diary and using Lifeline online, but had my first weigh-in at group last night and lost 2lb, taking my total loss to date to 3st12.5lb with only 6.5lbs to go to target, so happy!!!

Well done on your losses! I dropped by to say hello to another vegan.

Well done on your losses! I dropped by to say hello to another vegan.

Thank you and hi! Always good to see other vegans on the forum! How long have you been doing SW for?

Thank you and hi! Always good to see other vegans on the forum! How long have you been doing SW for?

Eeek, on and off for about 12 years now! I lost about 4 and a half stone the first time, and have been yo yoing since then. As I'm now 2 pounds heavier than I was that very first time, I've gritted my teeth and gone back to a group again - my first WI next Tuesday I binge as a way of coping with a difficult family life and am trying to find other ways of coping. Aaaargh, my son would be in hospital (mh issues) and as he got better I'd get slimmer, then when he got worse I'd get fatter again. I know this is not a good way to lead my life and am doing wht I can to change it.

Sorry, I rambled - as I tend to do - TMI?

How about you? You have your time in Spain booked now? From your sig it looks like you have made some very drastic changes in your life.

Eeek, on and off for about 12 years now! I lost about 4 and a half stone the first time, and have been yo yoing since then. As I'm now 2 pounds heavier than I was that very first time, I've gritted my teeth and gone back to a group again - my first WI next Tuesday I binge as a way of coping with a difficult family life and am trying to find other ways of coping. Aaaargh, my son would be in hospital (mh issues) and as he got better I'd get slimmer, then when he got worse I'd get fatter again. I know this is not a good way to lead my life and am doing wht I can to change it.

Sorry, I rambled - as I tend to do - TMI?

How about you? You have your time in Spain booked now? From your sig it looks like you have made some very drastic changes in your life.

I am sure you will get to your goal this time, you can do it! We've had our holiday booked for a while so the ultimate goal is to get to target now and stay there! Yes, I was veggie for 15 years and went vegan after giving milk up and decided to go the whole hog, wish I had done it sooner!

I must have been veggie for about the same length of time as you, getting more and more conscious, living more and more vegan until I could commit. For me, cheese was the last to go, I'd have soya milk at home and be more or less vegan when eating out as it got too complicated to specify free range eggs in every thing and check the cheese was made with veggie rennet. a long story but I eventually commited to 100% when Jill Phipps was killed, I thought if she could do so much for farmed animals and get killed for it, the least I could do was be completely vegan. There is a tad more to my story, as there is to everyone's ....

With a BMI of 23.5 you must be feeling pretty good already, your holiday will be wonderful whether or not you get to your goal weight. Which I am SURE you will, flip, look what you've done already!

Hey, I've just looked back at your food - you get a lot of agave nectar for a few syns, don't you? Hm, I've never used it but might invest in a bottle.

Back