Hi everyone,

Bit of a :oops: post but I need a bit of help.

I have very severe IBS as in literally all food just goes straight through me in less 15 mins of eating it. This poses its own issues as I can't eat out or even eat at all unless i have quick access to a bathroom!

I have to take tablets on a daily basis to try and control it. So the tablets effectively make my digestion and bodily functions very slow and makes me constipated. Its made me put on so much weight and now I'm trying to lose it I've noticed that I don't lose weight as well as i used to and i think its down to this. I used to lose 8+ lbs in my first week at SW and this time I only lost 3lbs in my first week. Starting to think SW isnt going to be the best thing, especially if I'm eating a lot

Does anyone else have the same problem and/or a solution? :( its very demotivating especially when you have a lot to lose!
Can anyone suggest another diet that might be better? I'll try anything!:(

This sounds awful for you but you will get there. Can your dr refer you to an NHS dietician for advice? A lot of ibs sufferers follow the fodmap but I don't think it's a diet as such. I wouldn't be down about a 3lbs loss on slimming world as many would be happy with this.

Do you know your trigger foods with the ibs? Once you know that it will be easier to pick a plan to suit your needs.

I suffered with ibs. I'll say suffered as that is what the Dr told me I had. I done the FODMAP for 4/6 weeks and it has helped clear stomach issues up. Like you I would have to be near a toilet every time I ate something. I was told Imodium would be my friend. I told the Dr I didn't want it as a friend.

I found Suzanne of http://www.strandsofmylife.com/ joined her FB page and also got the app for £6 from http://fodmapmonash.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/vegetables-muffins.html It tells you all the foods they have tested for ibs sufferers and portion sizes to have. I also joined the FODMAP UK group on FB.

I would recommend FODMAP to anyone who has stomach issues.:)

Hi everyone,

Bit of a :oops: post but I need a bit of help.

I have very severe IBS as in literally all food just goes straight through me in less 15 mins of eating it. This poses its own issues as I can't eat out or even eat at all unless i have quick access to a bathroom!

I have to take tablets on a daily basis to try and control it. So the tablets effectively make my digestion and bodily functions very slow and makes me constipated. Its made me put on so much weight and now I'm trying to lose it I've noticed that I don't lose weight as well as i used to and i think its down to this. I used to lose 8+ lbs in my first week at SW and this time I only lost 3lbs in my first week. Starting to think SW isnt going to be the best thing, especially if I'm eating a lot

Does anyone else have the same problem and/or a solution? :( its very demotivating especially when you have a lot to lose!
Can anyone suggest another diet that might be better? I'll try anything!:(
Hi there
I'm so sorry you're suffering from this as well and you have my deepest empathy. I too have this problem and anything I eat affects me. IBS is so much more common than we realise!! It's just that not a lot of people are open about it because they find it embarrassing and it's not something people feel they can openly talk about. I always say a problem shared is a problem halved and nothing should be too embarrassing as it's human nature and definitely nothing to be ashamed of. But I do find people who don't have this can't understand how this really affects your whole life and how upsetting and horrid this is. It then causes stress which then in turn makes the problem worse.
So to answer your question, it can be a problem as the amount of fibre we take in and then that in return affects this problem. I drink 3.6 litres of fluid a day and laxatives to help with constipation and with diarrhoea I find avoiding dairy helps and having more things like rice and pasta etc instead of jackets potato- so consuming a little less fibre on those days. There are little books you can get in chemists that are very helpful and easy to follow- and cheap but they are very incitive and helps you to know how you can live with this and when you have the info you can then use it to tailor the plan to your needs. Doctors are also trained in specific fields and I see my gp who has further knowledge in this area than others so it may be worth asking if there's a doc at your surgery that's especially trained in this area as some are. I hope you find this helpful. If there's anyway in which I can help anymore please let me know. All the best x

This sounds awful for you but you will get there. Can your dr refer you to an NHS dietician for advice? A lot of ibs sufferers follow the fodmap but I don't think it's a diet as such. I wouldn't be down about a 3lbs loss on slimming world as many would be happy with this.

Do you know your trigger foods with the ibs? Once you know that it will be easier to pick a plan to suit your needs.
Hi, Yes I forgot that. Especially working out your trigger foods is really good advice so if you keep track of everything you eat and then record your symptoms etc on those days and then you will start to see a pattern as certain foods will keep cropping when you're having problems and then you will be able very easily work out the culprits. Good luck

Hi
I feel for you the dash to the loo when your out! I find alcohol has this effect on me when I drink too much.
I tried fodmap but found it very restrictive. I think each sufferer each has their own specific triggers although there are obvs the usual suspects bread milk etc.
Now I always carry imodium with me and if I think it's likely I will desperately need to go before I get home - like at work or something I take one.
For me I know if I was very strict I could manage my symptoms but I have traded off using medication to allow me to eat a full diet.
I think unfortunately you either cut triggers and be at peace with constantly restricting your diet or take imodium and be at peace with that.
Honestly 3lb on slimming world is good keep it up! Don't forget sw is a diet change not a quick fix. Nhs says a 1-2lb loss a week is what they would expect.
Also I always make sure I go to the loo before I weigh! Don't want any waste being added to my total haha! It's easier for me as I do it online and weigh in at home. So I can take my clothes off too!
BB

Back