Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Ideas for Mackerel please!

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by jaylou, 16 April 2009 Social URL.

1. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

Okay ladies - I need a little bit of help here....

I have some mackerel fillets in the freezer and I don't really know what to do with them other than wrap them in paper and bake them in the oven, this is how I normally do fish!

Any ideas? I have two lots of fillets so enough for two evening meals over the next week or so.

All help most greatfully received! :p

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. ronnie87

ronnie87 Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st1lb
    Current Weight:
    12st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st1lb(0.59%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Mmmmmmm I absolutely love mackerel - and now that im gonna try Extra Easy I'll be able to haev it :)
    I like mackerel with brown rice, stir fried veggies and egg - all fried in a pan with frylight - bit of a kedgegree type thing :)

4. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

Sounds interesting... do you cook the mackerel first? or break it up and cook it in with the rest of the ingredients?

5. ronnie87

ronnie87 Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st1lb
    Current Weight:
    12st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st1lb(0.59%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I cook it with frylight in the pan first, then add the cooked brown rice and veggies, then crack in 2 eggs and stir around with a fork, sumtimes add either soy sauce/leinperrines/chilli powder too :) its yum yum

jaylou likes this.
  6. alibalibee

alibalibee Gold Member

Start Weight:
    21st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st3lb(33.89%)
    Diet:
    SW
    I put a wee bit Worcestershire sauce on the skin, then grill ( skin side first). Skin goes all nice and crispy mmmmmm I serve it with a wee bit of salad :)
    x

7. Rachella

Rachella Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    4st0lb(26.79%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting and shakes
    not really a 'cooking' idea... more what to eat it with - I love mackerel with a bit of horseradish (have no idea if that's synned though I hope not!!)... but obviously depends if you like horseradish as I know loads of peeps who hate it!

8. *angie*

*angie* loves food and cooking

Start Weight:
    12st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5.5lb(3.08%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World and 5:2 (not together)
    I am having mackerel tonight, this is what I am doing (just a bit different!!!)

Crispy Grilled Masala Mackerel

This makes enough paste for 4 whole fish, or 8 fillets - only syns are in the tom puree:

make 4 - 5 diag slices in the fish (skin side).

Make a paste in a processor with 1tsp fresh ginger, 2 tsp garlic, 1 or 2 red chillis (deseeded), 1tsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, 4tbsp tom puree (syns), 2 tsp sweetner, juice of 2 lemons, salt and a couple of tbsp water until smooth.

season well, and spread over the fish, making sure it goes into the slits

grill 6-8 mins until cooked and lightly charred, serve with red onion rings, cucumber and sliced toms.

9. Rachella

Rachella Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    4st0lb(26.79%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting and shakes
    Wow angie that sounds fab! Will try that soon :)

By the way I had no idea there were syns in tomato puree! 1/2 syn per tablespoon according SW site.. not toooo bad I guess!

10. *angie*

*angie* loves food and cooking

Start Weight:
    12st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5.5lb(3.08%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World and 5:2 (not together)
    I have just eaten the masala mackerel and would wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone!!

I halved the recipe (for 2 whole fish), used one fresh chilli but left out the chilli powder. Lush, and not too nuclear! You could easily use the proper proportions and still have working tastebuds :D

Yes - tom puree is one that not everyone knows about - this recipe is therefore 1/2 syn each :D

jaylou likes this.
  11. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

Fantastic recipe Angie, thanks so much. This is on my list for meals now - I'll let you know how it goes!!

12. Stoo

Stoo loves to eat and drink...

Start Weight:
    19st7.5lb
    Current Weight:
    17st3lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4.5lb(11.88%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    fresh mackeral fillets, just grilled and served on toast with poached eggs, dash of hot pepper sauce. yum

13. Sio

Sio Full Member

I like it wrapped in tin foil. Put some soy sauce, ginger and chilli flakes in and use a pastry brush (or finger) to rub it in. Yum

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.