If it's a snack it's not free?

krupskaya

Gold Member
Hi all, at class this week my Consultant said that if things like Chickpea dahl (free on EE and green) are eaten as a snack between meals then they're no longer free and have to be synned. However she said that SW quiche if eaten as a snack would be free as it's less energy dense. I've never heard anything to this effect before and I'm pretty sure it's not in the books. Anyone heard this before? Any opinions?

Hi as far as I was aware any free food was free whether its as part of a meal or a snack. Never heard of that before! x

I hope its not true - I think I would start to struggle a bit. The thing I love about SW is being able to eat if I'm hungry and not just being limited to fruit. Its my safety net and stops me eating rubbish like crisps and cake.

No, I've never heard of it before. Surely if it was a requirement of the plan it would be in the books? From a commonsense point of view you can't eat free food all day long or you'd never lose. So the advice from SW is that you make superfree your first choice of snacks, but by implication doesn't that mean that free food can be your second choice? Confused.com.

My theory. If you are eating that in between meals now and loosing weight, why stop! I would stop only if I stopped loosing weight - at the end of the day its got to be better than chocolate and crisps!

I dont see why chickpea dahl wouldn't be free as a snack provided it is actually syn free. :confused:

Its true that things like FLOUR made from chickpeas, or things like SW crisps or BAKED chickpeas or any other 'food abuse' recipes must be synned if they are eaten as a snack rather than as part of your meal. Its also true that *ideally* you should reach for Superfree first as a snack when you can, but that doesnt mean you CAN'T eat free stuff as a snack.
Maybe there was some misunderstanding/word mix up? Chickpea dahl is free as a snack (providing it is actually free in the first place), but ideally you'd eat something superfree instead/before.

i agree with the above comments.. have done s w 4 times and have never heard this before... keep up the good work

I have only just started, and I can not see the logic in it. Free foods fills you up so that you do not eat rubbish(that goes over your 15 syns).

Hi all, at class this week my Consultant said that if things like Chickpea dahl (free on EE and green) are eaten as a snack between meals then they're no longer free and have to be synned. However she said that SW quiche if eaten as a snack would be free as it's less energy dense. I've never heard anything to this effect before and I'm pretty sure it's not in the books. Anyone heard this before? Any opinions?

Sounds like nonsense to me, to be honest! :)

Just spoke to my consultant and apparently thats a load of rubbish! She says that SW have confirmed that FREE food is just that - FREE ANYTIME.
What she does say, is that if you choose to have jkt pot & beans 6 times a day, you will loose weight at a slow pace than someone who has 3 meals a day - but ultimately its YOUR CHOICE what you eat & when you eat it!

So enjoy your dahl (and send some round to me - sounds lush) x

If it aint broke......

Free food is there to be eaten - the plan encourages us not to OVER eat until we feel stuffed.

So i think if you are hungry and need a snack - having a free food is fine.

x

Having just started I'm by no means an expert but someone asked my consultant on Monday night "if I make syn free chilli for my dinner and I'm hungry later can I have some more?. She said yes.

Maybe the Consultant needs to go on the training courses SW provide for them...:rolleyes:

I see Free food as free. But I always choose Superfree FIRST. The only time you syn differently is when you substitute what it's usually used for i.e. pasta sheets/doritos. It's very confusing when a C says something totally different to other C's!

aw_bless said:
This has been confusing me recently too after seeing some threads about food abuse... So confusing!x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Fiod abuse is something entirely different to just eating free foods as snack. The OP's consultant seems like she was saying you should syn a free mugshot if you eat it as a snack. Food abuse is when you replace a synned food with a free food, like making fake tortilla chips from lasange sheets, or making crisps yourself. Essentially, use your common sense abit. In what other world would u think its okay to sit & eat 2 potatoes worth of crisps, or cook up a few lasagne sheets & eat them as a snack? If it sounds a bit weird, its cos it is!

But if u are hungry betweem meals, and u fancy a mugshot, then have one!

So if having dhal and chicken for dinner... Would have a third super free.... If just dhal. As a snack.... Still need a third super free?

*Sally Cinnamon* said:
So if having dhal and chicken for dinner... Would have a third super free.... If just dhal. As a snack.... Still need a third super free?

Generally speaking, yes - less dhal, bit of superfree would be ideal. Though you 'should' have already had some superfree as you are supposed to make superfree your first choice as a snack.

Fiod abuse is something entirely different to just eating free foods as snack. The OP's consultant seems like she was saying you should syn a free mugshot if you eat it as a snack. Food abuse is when you replace a synned food with a free food, like making fake tortilla chips from lasange sheets, or making crisps yourself. Essentially, use your common sense abit. In what other world would u think its okay to sit & eat 2 potatoes worth of crisps, or cook up a few lasagne sheets & eat them as a snack? If it sounds a bit weird, its cos it is!

But if u are hungry betweem meals, and u fancy a mugshot, then have one!

Totally agree. The C should really say they're encouraging you choose the best option when you want a snack, not that you syn it. I remember ages ago Jaylou made a good comment saying she chooses not to snack on mugshots, she'd rather have fruit. This has always stuck with me, SW isn't about counting calories but when you can choose between two food options & one is much lower in calories (and Superfree is always better) I'd try to go for that one. If I REALLY was hungry I would see no problem in having something like a mugshot, I just make sure I work out if I'm a little peckish or genuinely hungry.

Back