• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

I'm a little confused about Mince?

Hi All,

I have just tonight made the SW recipe Chilli (which was yummy) I did it as per the menu with Lean Mince from tesco. On the recipe it states 'free' but I have been reading through posts tonight that make me believe unless i've used quorn or extra lean mince it's not actually free :confused:

I am on the extra easy plan btw, I'm on my first week.

Thank You.x

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

Honeyoc

Is a crunchy mama!
S: 13st13lb G: 9st9lb
Hiya! The only mince you can have as a free food is extra lean mince (i.e. with 5% fat or less). I know some people boil regular mince and drain/wash it? :eek:
This makes absolutely no sense to me and sounds grotesque so I just stick to extra lean mince from Waitrose :D

S: 11st3.0lb C: 11st7.0lb G: 9st7.0lb BMI: 27.6 Loss: -0st4lb(-2.55%)
Yup - mince should be extra lean for it to technically be 'free'. Which recipe did you use? If it's a SW one, it should tell you extra lean mince.

As extra lean tends to be more expensive, and never on special offer, a lot of people here tend to use lean, cook it, and then dry off the fat that comes out in the cooking. Bit naughty but easier!

Hayleyj123

Wannabe Loser
S: 13st7lb C: 13st7lb G: 11st7lb BMI: 30.5 Loss: 0st0lb(0%)
I'm terrible and don't bother synning it lol
I don't eat enough of it for it to affect my weight loss.

Vixxster

Nojo on the YoYo
S: 19st8.0lb C: 19st8.0lb G: 11st0.0lb BMI: 47 Loss: 0st0lb(0%)
Extra lean mince is 2 packs for a fiver in Asda this week!

I use turkey mince though, much much cheaper!

S: 21st0lb C: 13st4lb G: 11st0lb BMI: 30 Loss: 7st10lb(36.73%)
Tesco do an extra lean mince in their own healthy brand packet, it may not be helpful but it's in a green label pack and is a little bit more expensive but it's completely free. I don't think I could be bothered to rinse/wash lean mince just to make it free lol

Vixxster

Nojo on the YoYo
S: 19st8.0lb C: 19st8.0lb G: 11st0.0lb BMI: 47 Loss: 0st0lb(0%)
And tesco do sometimes do 2 packs of their HL lean meats for a fiver as well, so you can get a pack of EL mince and a pack of, say stir fry strips or beef casserole chunks for a fiver. Yerrrs!

Honeyoc

Is a crunchy mama!
S: 13st13lb G: 9st9lb
Or you could buy your own lean beef, which will probably be cheaper, and blitz in your food processor. I remember one time I had trouble finding minced chicken breast so I just bought a couple of breasts and minced it myself. Turned out really nice!

S: 13st0lb C: 11st3lb G: 9st7lb BMI: 28.7 Loss: 1st11lb(13.74%)
:eek: I still rinse my extra lean mince just hate to see goo on it:jelous:

You know what? I'm such a ditz! It does say extra Lean. Oh no!!! lol
I do always drain the mince as I cannot stand floating stuff. How many syns would that of cost me? I didn't eat much maybe 1 heaped handful as this diet is making me stuffed! I've never eat so much. :eek:)

S: 13st0lb C: 11st3lb G: 9st7lb BMI: 28.7 Loss: 1st11lb(13.74%)
OMG *dies* :eek:
How do you do that?? I'm intrigued!!

lol I boil after browning with fry light and then seive it then rinse with boiling hot kettle :)

Yep, me too, I brown it as normal then instrad of draining the fat I pour the whole lot in a sieve and put boiling water over it. (I buy lean mince)

That is the only way I can see that you would get rid of all the horrible fat.

soccermom

I AM A WEMITT x
S: 19st3lb C: 18st1.5lb BMI: 42.2 Loss: 1st1.5lb(5.76%)
I stocked up on extra lean mince this week I paid 2 pound (sorry no pound sign on this computer its from oz) a 500g box in Asda, I like a bargain :D

Thank You all for your replies. Can anyone tell me the best mince (and bacon) to get from tesco at all? I shop online mostly and when I type in lean only Lean Lamb mince comes up.
Many Thanks.x