I'm getting fitter!!

HellieCopter

Gold Member
I couldn't help doing a little 'yay me'...
:woohoo:
I have just done my first proper run!

Until now I have been doing a run/walk - one minute of each. But tonight I decided I would try running non stop. I managed 10 minutes! I had NO idea I would go for that long. I thought maybe 2 or 3 minutes max.

I'm so chuffed with myself! lol!!

Sorry for the self-congratulatory post, but I'm excited! I've never run that long, ever!

That excellent! Well done. I think maybe I should start running seeing as I have this huge park right across the road just begging to be used!

well done - it's always such a good feeling when you achieve more than you thought you could.

I did a 10k run last year and it was always such a good feeling when you can see yourself improving

Yay you!! my partner keeps threatening to drag me out running using the run/walk (ladders) method.

if it works for you then maybe i will give it a go!!

It really has worked. I did 20 minutes run/walk and the first time it was hell. 2nd time better. 3rd time fine and 4th time, I almost enjoyed it and felt like I could do more, so I did two more sets of run/walk.

I have definitely noticed it getting easier quite quickly, but I have only been doing it a couple of weeks, not intensively. I've been doing some step on wii fit too, but only the last week.

Fea, I've got a big park across the road too, but it shuts at 4.30 at the moment, because it goes dark! :( Sensible really though. So I run on the roads. Looking forward to lighter evenings coming! Starting to notice it staying a bit lighter later, so spring might be around the corner!

Jenny, I'm aiming for a 5k in summer. A friend is trying to persuade me to do a beginners triathlon in July, but I think that's a bit on the ambitious side!!!

You're doing really great!

How would someone who has never ran before, like me, start? What tips or pearls of wisdom can you lovely lot share?

The run/walk approach is the best way to build up your stamina - much more effective in the long run than being dragged along running until you drop!

I followed the runners plan that came with the Guardian in the new year. It goes from 0 to 5km in 8 weeks and is a plan for total beginners.You start off with 20 mins of 1 min run/1 min walk. Say you start on a Monday, you do that, rest Tues, run/walk again on Weds, rest on Thurs, do some cross training/strength workout on Friday and then 5km walk on Saturday (to get used to the distance). Rest on Sunday. I didn't strictly follow that (ie I just did the runs and none of the other stuff!!)

Let me know if you want me to post the whole 8 week plan and I'll do it later (after my parents have been over for dinner!)

I followed the runners plan that came with the Guardian in the new year. It goes from 0 to 5km in 8 weeks and is a plan for total beginners.You start off with 20 mins of 1 min run/1 min walk. Say you start on a Monday, you do that, rest Tues, run/walk again on Weds, rest on Thurs, do some cross training/strength workout on Friday and then 5km walk on Saturday (to get used to the distance). Rest on Sunday. I didn't strictly follow that (ie I just did the runs and none of the other stuff!!)

Let me know if you want me to post the whole 8 week plan and I'll do it later (after my parents have been over for dinner!)

Thats great, thanks so much. If you could yeah. I think I'll start! No reason not to. It's about time I got off my bum x

the walkjogrun website is an excellent tool for working out the exact distances of your routes. I found it great to know how far I was running when I was training.

I really need to get out running again. I think i'll do it in the gym to start and then head out on the streets when the weather is a bit better.

Oooh, i feel all inspired to get to it after seeing this thread knowing i can do it again too!

Well done on the exercise!! Running is great, but be careful when running on roads as it's not good for your body pounding on the road. Make sure you have proper running shoes instead of any old trainer. Certainly cheaper than the gym in the long term.

have a look at www.runnersworld.co.uk they have some fab beginners training plans on there, I'm a runner myself and can run miles now but when I started I couldn't even run for a minute, just take your time and build up really slowly, you should be able to talk in sentences while you are running, if you can't you are going too fast which is the classic beginners mistake, go really slow and build up from there and don't worry about how many miles you do, work up to running for 30 minutes non stop (should take you 6-8 weeks from nothing), its the best calorie burner there is

I have some great, supportive trainers Mrs V :) Bought them when I used to gym a lot (I never ran though!)

Loving the WalkJogRun site Jen! Good call.

Well done on the 10 mins running - its a fantastic feeling to achieve what you thought at first was impossible.
XX

Well done, good for you, keep it up. I would love to go out power walking and maybe jogging , but wouldn't like to do it in my street and there is no good parks nearby. Think i will get my oh to drive me somewhere nice when the light nights come in.

Just do it Betty! I used to make excuses to myself all the time but just getting out there and going for it is such a good feeling.

Fea, I'll post the rest of the exercise regime later, but there are some good running websites with fitness plans for beginners on. Quick google found me loads. There are some specifically for women too.

My bum and thighs feel firmer today. Winner!!

Thanks.

Today I walked to my parents - it's not too far - and managed a few short bursts of running. My god I was knackered :8855: I'm def guna get myself some proper running shoes and give it a go properly.

Good on you!!! It all counts. I'll post the plan...keep an eye out and let me know how you get on :)

Back