In it for the long haul...

Balboa

Determined!
Hi everybody, thought I would start a diary as i'm hoping it wil serve as a motivational tool.

Just a bit of background for those who are interested...

I am a student in my final year of university. Massively overweight and desperately need to lose some in order to retain a semblance of normality in my everyday life. I am also recently engaged and hope that my wedding (in 2013) will prove to be a further motivation.
My aim is to lose approx. 11 stone in two and a half years and then seek to maintain a balanced diet. I recognise that it is a lifestyle change which is required, not just a crash diet. I have tried dieting before and had some success but nothing startling and certainly nothing that has ever lasted. I am not following any particular diet as of yet but just plan to eat healthier, eat less, do some cardio and some weight training.
I also plan to post a daily diary on here. Any advice is welcome, just hoping to make a change for life this time...

:welcome: to minimins!

This forum is so great. I've found so much support and motivation here -- and there are people on this forum with weight loss goals that are similar to yours. It's almost always possible to find somebody who has been in the same spot!

Congrats on the engagement! I wish you the best of luck as you begin your weight loss journey. :party0011:

Last edited:
I think the writing down of things is key. You will discover patterns that make you gain weight and when you write it down you will see. My problem has always been biscuits - if I don't write it down i can easily snaffle 6 or more, if I do write it down I stick to two.

It is little changes like that that gradually add up.

You can do this, one day at a time is all you need do till it's done! Good luck.

Thank-you to everyone who has left messages.

Managed to get some scales that would weigh me and I am heavier than I first thought - 29st 8.8lb - So effectively i'm on the second day and have put 8.8lb on lol!

I suppose its better to know the truth, and at least now I can more accurately measure my progress.

hey, welcome to the forum, and well done for making the decision to change-its not easy. The hardest part is supposedly over. This forum is amazing, so much support and advice around. Have you decided what food plan you're following yet? I do SW and its amazing-but Im sure everyone will champion the plan they follow.If you want a slimming buddy, feel free to message me as Ive got about 11 stone to lose aswell :D Jo

Just to say good luck x This site is brilliant lots of lovely supportive people it is helping me .
Just to say happy to support each other and you ve made a start so that 's really positive xx :D:D

Thanks very much for the support everyone.

Have you decided what food plan you're following yet? I do SW and its amazing-but Im sure everyone will champion the plan they follow

I'm not following a plan (yet) not really sure what the difference is between them or how much they cost etc. Any advice would be very much appreciated. At the moment i'm just going to try and reduce the amount i'm eating and eat healthier. I also aim to try and keep my sugar intake down as I am worried about the possibility of diabeties.

My problem is that I am a person of extremes, I tend to massively over-eat or starve myself for a couple of days and then give up!

Hi good luck on your journey! I've noticed a few guys on this site so if you have a browse around i'm sure they'll be able to help.I've been following George who started last week and has a similar amount to lose.See if you can find him.............

Then I say again, write it down! Aim to eat regularly, small amounts, but things that you will enjoy. If you make it all lettuce you will fail before you start! Aim for lots of colour on your plate, bright cherries and juicy orange segments. Chop lots of different stuff into your salads to keep them interesting. Build in a treat or two so that things don't become 'forbidden' but make the treats small - like a mini milky way or a treats size bag of maltesers or whatever your fave thing is.

I find if I feel really nibbly and know I am slipping down a very slippery slope, then the best thing is to have a little something. Like a cup of tea and 3 tea fingers. 70 cals is not going to break anyone's calorie bank but it can make the difference between no slip and a massive slip!

I wish you well, I can see how that Daily Mail story must have effected you, but the thing is you have already taken a big step by coming on here and seeking out support from people who really do understand. Your furture is your choice, no-one else's, so have what you really want, which I think is a strong, slim and healthy one.

Faye, thanks - I have found George and left a message on his diary. You're right we are similar in many ways, except I travelled further down the same path!!

Barb, thanks again - I will start writing it down and post it on here every night before I go to bed. Hopefully I can stick with it this time. The thing is if I see improvements I am sure I will stick with it, its just if I don't see results fast I get demotivated and bored!

Good luck on your weight loss journey:).The forum is great support,brilliant for ideas and recipes.x

Thanks Surreygal.

TUESDAY
Just got in from an afternoon/evening out with friends. Was really hard, they were eating hotdog/chips etc and there was no healthy alternative so I didn't have anything - Gonna grab something now. Was feeling sorry for myself at the time haha, but am glad now i'm home and can grab something healthier. Will post up a food diary just before I go to bed. Am definately liking the idea of keeping an online diary, feel far more motivated!

TUESDAY

Just about to go to bed so thought I would post my food diary for today:

08:30 - Medium bowl of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes and Semi-Skimmed Milk

14:30 - 1x Wheat & White wrap with:
Corned Beef
Tomato
Spring Onion
Green Pepper
Yellow Pepper

19:00 - 2x White Garlic Wraps
One with: Corned Beef
Tomato
Spring Onion
Green Pepper
Yellow Pepper

One with: Salami
Tomato
Spring Onion
Green Pepper
Yellow Pepper

22:00 - 2x Plums, Small bunch of grapes

Hi, just wanted to wish you loads and loads of luck !!!! You've got sooo much to look forward to in your life....what with a Wedding , and then probably kids too, you'll need to be lighter to chase those little rugrats around !!!

Seriously, well done on taking the first step to a longer, stronger healthier life !!!!!

Diva x

Thanks Diva, you're right. I recognise now that my size is starting to stop me doing the things I want and making me worry - Fitting in chairs, getting a job, going swimming etc.

Btw well done on the progress you've made so far, your walking goals are amazing!
My forthcoming marriage is a motivation, but I also want this for me this time, not other people.

Thanks Diva, you're right. I recognise now that my size is starting to stop me doing the things I want and making me worry - Fitting in chairs, getting a job, going swimming etc.

Btw well done on the progress you've made so far, your walking goals are amazing!
My forthcoming marriage is a motivation, but I also want this for me this time, not other people.

I haven't gone swimming with my boys (well the eldest when he was young) but not my youngest and I really want to, apparently he loves it. It's a terrible thing to not be doing the things you want becasue of how you look. You are right to be doing it just for you, that's the most important thing.

When you go out with friends pack a couple of bits of fruit to stave off the hunger pangs. I have been making homemade houmous and keeping it in the fridge to have a small tub with carrot sticks (have those all ready too) and peppers just so I have a snack there. I've been trying to stay off the bread as I think I am a breadaholic :rolleyes:.

As Welsh tigger says everyone will champion their diet but if your plan is to eat more healthily I think you should have a look at the principles of Slimming World as it is more of a healthy eating plan than anything else. I'll be happy to answer questions if you are interested. Worth a look anyway?

Hope you are having a good day. :)

Ditto RRH! The key principles behind slimming world is healthy eating for life-its not a diet! If you're unsure, maybe go along to a class-I'm not sure of the official policy but most consultants will let you sit in on the new member talk, and the class and then you pay at the end. The support you get in class is unbeatable and you can basically eat till you're full-give it a go-or maybe just give it a few weeks as they offer a 4 week money back guarantee-which in 41 years they've never had to pay out on! That should be testament to how well it works :)

Thanks, I shall certainly have a look at it and see how my weightloss is going at the end of my first week. As I have already said it is a lifestyle change which is required for me so Slimming World (from what you've said) sounds ideal!

Back