in the gym can you really believe how many calories it tells you you burn?

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by richman14, 4 August 2009 Social URL.

1. richman14

richman14 Full Member

Start Weight:
    20st4.0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st8.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    6st10lb(33.1%)
    today for example it said i burnt over 400 calories does that mean really i could effectivley have something extra worth 400 calories to keep weight the same?

i remember a few years ago i was burning around 900-1000 calories and think i put too much pressure on myself to do that jsut to keep weight off

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. sbridge7

sbridge7 Silver Member

Diet:
    Maintenance after CD
    Hey,
    I think they are not entirely accurate but will give you a rough estimate on calories burned. The amount of calories can depend on weight and other factors. As you're not inputting that information into the computer, the data will not be as accurate. Hope that helps.

4. richman14

richman14 Full Member

Start Weight:
    20st4.0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st8.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    6st10lb(33.1%)
    thanks very much

5. Caz

Caz Slimming down the aisle

Start Weight:
    19st1.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st6.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.7lb(3.25%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting / SML / Orlistat
    They are pretty accurate, but for a specific weight! Unless you use smartcard equipment, then it calculates it on your weight. They're usually based around 68kg which is 149lbs. If you weigh less, you'll burn less. Weigh more, and you'll burn more.

6. amm451

amm451 Do Over

Start Weight:
    16st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7lb(14.77%)
    Diet:
    CD
    Caroline, you're way too smart! lol

7. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Nope, not on a VLCD anyway. Think of exercise for it's health benefits. It doesn't work quite the same as with a higher cal diet for calorie burn.

Take it steady ;)

8. Caz

Caz Slimming down the aisle

Start Weight:
    19st1.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st6.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.7lb(3.25%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting / SML / Orlistat
    Oops, I meant to add the same as KD, on CD you can't add those calories on. I'm doing Calorie Counting so technically could, but don't. The way I see it, it increases the difference between what I'm taking in and using up, so therefore should lose weight better. But, you have to be careful not to be doing too much!

Amm I'm not that smart really, honest!

9. enlightenme2

enlightenme2 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    273lb
    Current Weight:
    241.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    175lb
    Lost(%):
    31.5lb(11.54%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    hey Richman, the most important are not the calories you're burning during the so-said exercise, but after. Think of that as the benefit of exercise, esp strength training, it boosts your metabolism and continues on burning all day/all night. That is really what you want to target.

10. Sunshine Singer

Sunshine Singer Dropped White Sugar & Feeling Fantastic

Start Weight:
    13st2lb
    Current Weight:
    11st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st11lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(10.87%)
    Diet:
    No white sugar
    Oooohhhh that's a dodgy way to look at it. You'd get into exercising as a way to eat more. I used to do it on WW. Look at exercise as a bonus :) xxx

11. sbridge7

sbridge7 Silver Member

Diet:
    Maintenance after CD
    But if you are active, surely you need more calories?

12. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Not necessarily. On VLCDs there's a greater risk that the energy will come from lean if you do too much cardio exercise.

General advice is to do some for health benefits if you wish, but don't expect a loss on the scales, and don't go wild. Leave the heavy stuff for when you go up the plans.

The concern doesn't happen with resistance, so that's fine :)

13. sbridge7

sbridge7 Silver Member

Diet:
    Maintenance after CD
    Thanks KD. But surely during maintainance if you're more active, you'll need more calories? I used the BMR calculator and it said I would need 2000 calories if lightly moderately active rather than 1800, if not.

14. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Yes, during maintenance, exercise makes a difference, and even on a low calorie diet, but not so much during a VLCD. In fact, depending on how much you do (ie a lot), and intensity etc, weight loss can slow and more lean mass burn. Something you don't want. There just appears to be a threshold when on a VLCD and cals burned don't match up with the weight loss.

Just one of those weird body things.

Not saying no exercise, just don't do on the hopes that the scales will go down faster, because it's unlikely that they will, and if they do, it might not be fat anyway.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.