in the gym can you really believe how many calories it tells you you burn?

richman14

today for example it said i burnt over 400 calories does that mean really i could effectivley have something extra worth 400 calories to keep weight the same?

i remember a few years ago i was burning around 900-1000 calories and think i put too much pressure on myself to do that jsut to keep weight off

Hey,
I think they are not entirely accurate but will give you a rough estimate on calories burned. The amount of calories can depend on weight and other factors. As you're not inputting that information into the computer, the data will not be as accurate. Hope that helps.

They are pretty accurate, but for a specific weight! Unless you use smartcard equipment, then it calculates it on your weight. They're usually based around 68kg which is 149lbs. If you weigh less, you'll burn less. Weigh more, and you'll burn more.

Caroline, you're way too smart! lol

i could effectivley have something extra worth 400 calories to keep weight the same?

Nope, not on a VLCD anyway. Think of exercise for it's health benefits. It doesn't work quite the same as with a higher cal diet for calorie burn.

Take it steady ;)

Oops, I meant to add the same as KD, on CD you can't add those calories on. I'm doing Calorie Counting so technically could, but don't. The way I see it, it increases the difference between what I'm taking in and using up, so therefore should lose weight better. But, you have to be careful not to be doing too much!

Amm I'm not that smart really, honest!

hey Richman, the most important are not the calories you're burning during the so-said exercise, but after. Think of that as the benefit of exercise, esp strength training, it boosts your metabolism and continues on burning all day/all night. That is really what you want to target.

Oooohhhh that's a dodgy way to look at it. You'd get into exercising as a way to eat more. I used to do it on WW. Look at exercise as a bonus :) xxx

But if you are active, surely you need more calories?

Not necessarily. On VLCDs there's a greater risk that the energy will come from lean if you do too much cardio exercise.

General advice is to do some for health benefits if you wish, but don't expect a loss on the scales, and don't go wild. Leave the heavy stuff for when you go up the plans.

The concern doesn't happen with resistance, so that's fine :)

Thanks KD. But surely during maintainance if you're more active, you'll need more calories? I used the BMR calculator and it said I would need 2000 calories if lightly moderately active rather than 1800, if not.

Thanks KD. But surely during maintainance if you're more active, you'll need more calories? I used the BMR calculator and it said I would need 2000 calories if lightly moderately active rather than 1800, if not.

Yes, during maintenance, exercise makes a difference, and even on a low calorie diet, but not so much during a VLCD. In fact, depending on how much you do (ie a lot), and intensity etc, weight loss can slow and more lean mass burn. Something you don't want. There just appears to be a threshold when on a VLCD and cals burned don't match up with the weight loss.

Just one of those weird body things.

Not saying no exercise, just don't do on the hopes that the scales will go down faster, because it's unlikely that they will, and if they do, it might not be fat anyway.

Back