Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Indian recipes : )

Discussion in 'GI Diet Support Forum' started by ruth frances, 26 May 2011 Social URL.

1. ruth frances

ruth frances Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st10lb
    Current Weight:
    11st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st1lb(0.61%)
    Diet:
    Low GI
    Now that the cast is off, I can start typing out the indian recipes I promised. It might take a couple of weeks cos the wrist is very stiff and I don't want to overdo it.

Important tips for all the recipes:
    1. DON'T leave any of the spices out/improvise with others - it usually doesn't work out very well

2. When using oil in the recipes, don't use olive oil as the flavour is too strong. Vegetable/sunflower are best.

(Aloo) Channa Masala

My favourite! Usually cooked once a week in our house :)
    Serves 6+

Heat a large saucepan and add 2 tins of chickpeas including the water in the tin.

I usually also add 2 low GI potatoes (Nicola or Carisma) chopped into chunks, but you could use sweet potato, or nothing and just keep it chickpea! If you are adding something, also add 1/2 tin extra water.

As chickpeas are heating up add:
    1 teaspoon tumeric

1tsp coriander powder
    1tsp dry mango powder
    1tsp chilli powder
    1tsp cumin seed powder (I dry fry cumin seeds until dark brown - takes about 4-5mins then grind in pestle and mortar to make powder - they might sell the powder in the shop, but for some reason I haven't got any, probably because we have a massive jar of cumin seeds!))
    2 tsp channa masala (spice mix usually found in small boxes in indian supermarkets)
    2 diced green chillis - they must be green. If you like things not too spicy change this to 1/2 or 1 green chilli.
    1 tsp fresh grated ginger (I use the minced ginger in a jar)

Stir in spices, then bring to the boil.

Whilst the chickpeas are simmering away, heat up a frying pan with 1 tablespoon oil.

Once hot, add 1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon quill and about 10 black peppercorns. Once the peppercorns start crackling add 1 large chopped red onion

Once onion is softened, slowly add 1/2 large 700ml jar of passata (or 1 normal sized tin of crushed tomatoes)

Stir and cook until (now this is a difficult concept to explain) you can see the oil separating from the mix around the edges. If you can't see this/have no idea what I'm talking about, then cook for at least 10mins to be sure its happened.

Tip tomato/onion mix into saucepan with chickpeas. Mix and cook for another 10mins, or until potatoes are soft.

Serve with basmati rice / barley
    Tip: if you add 1/2-1 tsp of tumeric to the cooking water for your rice it will come out yellow in true indian style!

NB- if you don't have them/forget, things that can be left out of this recipe without unduly affecting the taste too much are:
    bay leaf

cinnamon quill
    ginger

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Splenda

Splenda Gold Member

Sounds lovely, looking forward to the other recipes!

4. ruth frances

ruth frances Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st10lb
    Current Weight:
    11st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st1lb(0.61%)
    Diet:
    Low GI
    Daal Makhani

Soak approx 3-400g of black lentils and kidney beans (ratio roughly 3:1 lentils to beans) overnight
    Drain and put to boil in fresh water for 45mins+.

Whilst beans are bubbling away, heat a frying pan with 1 tbsp oil.

Add:
    2 x finely chopped onions
    1 finely diced green chilli
    4 crushed cloves of garlic (I use garlic paste)
    1 1/2 tsp tumeric
    1 1/2tsp garam masala
    1/2 tsp chilli powder
    1/2 tsp salt

Mix together and fry for a couple of minutes.

Then slowly add passata/tinned toms (roughly 3/4 jar passata or 1 and 1/2 tins toms).

As it is cooking keep stirring. Cook until you can see the oil separating around the edge of the mixture (takes about 10mins)

Drain lentils/beans, reserving some of the cooking liquid.

Add onion/tom mixture to lentils/beans. Cover and simmer until beans are tender (may take another 30mins+). Reserved liquid can be used to top up if it is getting to dry.

Last edited: 11 June 2011
  5. Fattack

Fattack Likes to eat

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(23.33%)
    Diet:
    WeightWatchers
    Thank you so much for posting these! You're an absolute star!

6. irish molly

irish molly Maintaing LT loss on GL

Start Weight:
    21st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st12lb
    Lost(%):
    8st2lb(38.78%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    TFR/GL
    Love these Ruth. I just have to get the mango powder for the channa masala. Cant wait to try it!!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.