Indian recipes : )

ruth frances

Now that the cast is off, I can start typing out the indian recipes I promised. It might take a couple of weeks cos the wrist is very stiff and I don't want to overdo it.

Important tips for all the recipes:
1. DON'T leave any of the spices out/improvise with others - it usually doesn't work out very well

2. When using oil in the recipes, don't use olive oil as the flavour is too strong. Vegetable/sunflower are best.

(Aloo) Channa Masala

My favourite! Usually cooked once a week in our house :)
Serves 6+

Heat a large saucepan and add 2 tins of chickpeas including the water in the tin.

I usually also add 2 low GI potatoes (Nicola or Carisma) chopped into chunks, but you could use sweet potato, or nothing and just keep it chickpea! If you are adding something, also add 1/2 tin extra water.

As chickpeas are heating up add:
1 teaspoon tumeric

1tsp coriander powder
1tsp dry mango powder
1tsp chilli powder
1tsp cumin seed powder (I dry fry cumin seeds until dark brown - takes about 4-5mins then grind in pestle and mortar to make powder - they might sell the powder in the shop, but for some reason I haven't got any, probably because we have a massive jar of cumin seeds!))
2 tsp channa masala (spice mix usually found in small boxes in indian supermarkets)
2 diced green chillis - they must be green. If you like things not too spicy change this to 1/2 or 1 green chilli.
1 tsp fresh grated ginger (I use the minced ginger in a jar)

Stir in spices, then bring to the boil.

Whilst the chickpeas are simmering away, heat up a frying pan with 1 tablespoon oil.

Once hot, add 1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon quill and about 10 black peppercorns. Once the peppercorns start crackling add 1 large chopped red onion

Once onion is softened, slowly add 1/2 large 700ml jar of passata (or 1 normal sized tin of crushed tomatoes)

Stir and cook until (now this is a difficult concept to explain) you can see the oil separating from the mix around the edges. If you can't see this/have no idea what I'm talking about, then cook for at least 10mins to be sure its happened.

Tip tomato/onion mix into saucepan with chickpeas. Mix and cook for another 10mins, or until potatoes are soft.

Serve with basmati rice / barley
Tip: if you add 1/2-1 tsp of tumeric to the cooking water for your rice it will come out yellow in true indian style!

NB- if you don't have them/forget, things that can be left out of this recipe without unduly affecting the taste too much are:
bay leaf

cinnamon quill
ginger

Daal Makhani

Soak approx 3-400g of black lentils and kidney beans (ratio roughly 3:1 lentils to beans) overnight
Drain and put to boil in fresh water for 45mins+.

Whilst beans are bubbling away, heat a frying pan with 1 tbsp oil.

Add:
2 x finely chopped onions
1 finely diced green chilli
4 crushed cloves of garlic (I use garlic paste)
1 1/2 tsp tumeric
1 1/2tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together and fry for a couple of minutes.

Then slowly add passata/tinned toms (roughly 3/4 jar passata or 1 and 1/2 tins toms).

As it is cooking keep stirring. Cook until you can see the oil separating around the edge of the mixture (takes about 10mins)

Drain lentils/beans, reserving some of the cooking liquid.

Add onion/tom mixture to lentils/beans. Cover and simmer until beans are tender (may take another 30mins+). Reserved liquid can be used to top up if it is getting to dry.

Last edited:
Love these Ruth. I just have to get the mango powder for the channa masala. Cant wait to try it!!

Back