Interesting Article about the speed in which weight is lost, and maintaining

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by Blonde Logic, 16 July 2010 Social URL.

1. Blonde Logic

Blonde Logic Yes. You can.

Start Weight:
    258lb
    Current Weight:
    228lb
    Goal Weight:
    168lb
    Lost(%):
    30lb(11.63%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. mrsrobinson

mrsrobinson Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9lb(5.2%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    Excellent link, thanks BL. Very interesting, and the replies below are very amusing....

"shows they don't know what they're talking about" - let me guess, that person better qualified and has done more research than the scientists involved in the study. Shame they remain anonymous then... :D

4. tracyd

tracyd "I WILL DO THIS"

Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    lighter life - maintaining now
    :) great!

5. Minerva

Minerva ...passing through.

Start Weight:
    18st7lb
    Current Weight:
    11st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    6st8lb(35.52%)
    Diet:
    16:8 & CC // VLCD
    Research can be a debatable - it should never be taken as a 100% proof of anything. However, as an initial finding it is interesting.
    Though, the values are wrong. The indicator 'X lost weight through long/short term diet' is unreliable. It highly depends on the person's support network, their determination and mental state. I'd say it doesn't matter HOW you lose your weight at all. Keeping it off is by far the most challenging thing - and the more you are aware of what you're doing, how it affects you and how much you're willing to change yourself to BECOME that 'new you' really matters the most.

6. Lind

Lind Is feeling the love!

Start Weight:
    14st10lb
    Current Weight:
    14st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Biggest Looser
    I think the way in which the weight is lost is not important, so long as it doesn't leave you ill. I think the way we keep it off is the issue. People will put weight on if they do not understand nutrition and exercise and what things trigger them to put weight on.

LL is good because it allows people who have probably gone through every diet under the sun before they get to LL to see fast results and realise something they are doing is working and is positive. The group sessions help so much in coming to terms with yourself and changing your thinking and that is why LL is so good.

Fab find BL!

7. AJB

AJB Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st6.0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st1.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.48%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Weight Plan
    Think you've got it spot on Minerva :D

8. flexiblefish

flexiblefish Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    16st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st4lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(8%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    Ill be honest, if it wasnt for the speed of loss, I wouldnt even get to a point of being able to maintain.

So for me speed is critical, in terms of maintaining, well we'll see on that once I get there.

Anything that takes too much time is demoralising for me and for many I am sure. I would like to see a study about retention of dieters to get to maintainance under differing regimes. I am sure although VLCD are hardcore, a high proportion would reach their target weights than conventional dieters.

9. AJB

AJB Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st6.0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st1.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.48%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Weight Plan
    I've used food and drink to deal with so many things - especially work related stress. I'm thinking I'm going to have to substitute exercise in its place and use the time while I'm walking (and hopefully later jogging) to relieve the stress and work out a solution to any problems I may have encountered.

I think too many times at work I've kept my mouth shut and bottled things up rather than confronting issues - hopefully dealing with the problem directly will take away the need to resort to food for comfort.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.