Interesting Article about the speed in which weight is lost, and maintaining

Excellent link, thanks BL. Very interesting, and the replies below are very amusing....

"shows they don't know what they're talking about" - let me guess, that person better qualified and has done more research than the scientists involved in the study. Shame they remain anonymous then... :D

:) great!

Research can be a debatable - it should never be taken as a 100% proof of anything. However, as an initial finding it is interesting.
Though, the values are wrong. The indicator 'X lost weight through long/short term diet' is unreliable. It highly depends on the person's support network, their determination and mental state. I'd say it doesn't matter HOW you lose your weight at all. Keeping it off is by far the most challenging thing - and the more you are aware of what you're doing, how it affects you and how much you're willing to change yourself to BECOME that 'new you' really matters the most.

I think the way in which the weight is lost is not important, so long as it doesn't leave you ill. I think the way we keep it off is the issue. People will put weight on if they do not understand nutrition and exercise and what things trigger them to put weight on.

LL is good because it allows people who have probably gone through every diet under the sun before they get to LL to see fast results and realise something they are doing is working and is positive. The group sessions help so much in coming to terms with yourself and changing your thinking and that is why LL is so good.

Fab find BL!

It highly depends on the person's support network, their determination and mental state. I'd say it doesn't matter HOW you lose your weight at all. Keeping it off is by far the most challenging thing - and the more you are aware of what you're doing, how it affects you and how much you're willing to change yourself to BECOME that 'new you' really matters the most.

Think you've got it spot on Minerva :D

Ill be honest, if it wasnt for the speed of loss, I wouldnt even get to a point of being able to maintain.

So for me speed is critical, in terms of maintaining, well we'll see on that once I get there.

Anything that takes too much time is demoralising for me and for many I am sure. I would like to see a study about retention of dieters to get to maintainance under differing regimes. I am sure although VLCD are hardcore, a high proportion would reach their target weights than conventional dieters.

I've used food and drink to deal with so many things - especially work related stress. I'm thinking I'm going to have to substitute exercise in its place and use the time while I'm walking (and hopefully later jogging) to relieve the stress and work out a solution to any problems I may have encountered.

I think too many times at work I've kept my mouth shut and bottled things up rather than confronting issues - hopefully dealing with the problem directly will take away the need to resort to food for comfort.

Back