Interesting article on yo-yo dieting

I was reading Best when i came across this article that will probably be relevant to a lot of you (including me :eek:)

We yo-yo diet because whatever we did to lose the weight is'nt the right tatic to keep it off.And chances are its one of these 5 things...

You want to be too skinny
If you aim to be too skinny for your frame/height, your body will do everything it can to gain weight,which is why many of us struggle to maintain our new weights.Try to aim for a weight that makes you happy but you don't have to starve to maintain.

You're on a super strict diet
This is because they make you binge when you come off them.If possible, go for a plan that doesn't cut out any food groups.

You want to lose weight too fast
Slow weight loss reduces the chance you'll lose fat, not muscle-like Oprah Winfrey who admits dropping 20lbs fast to appear on American Vigue.Muscle burns calories and keeps weight off

You think its all or nothing
One splurge will never destroy a diet.So don't feel guilty. don't starve yourself.Just make sure your next meal is diet friendly.

You dont account for your new shape
Understand how your new calorie intake works,so you dont fall back into old eating habits.If you've lost 2st you need 275 calories a day less than you used to to stay slim.So adjust portions accordingly.

If you've lost 2st you need 275 calories a day less than you used to to stay slim.So adjust portions accordingly.[/B]

interesting read...and ill remember the last bit when i go onto maintenance!

So will i,unfortunately it seems like weight loss isnt the only journey!! Maintenance tends to be even harder :(

good article, ive been yoyoing too mainly because of christmas and birthdays and where ive just fallen off track so yeah maintenance is hard, you have to change your attitude towards food.

Good stuff. My mistake in the past was always trying to lose weight too quickly. I had a six month timeframe in my head to shed about 5 stone and after I'd basically starved myself on 800-1000 calories for six months and hadn't lost all I wanted to, I'd break and go on a six month binge.

Lather, rinse, repeat! :p

Slow weight loss seems to be the best way, at least for me. Gives the old head time to catch up with the body and examine the underlying issues. Also gives you time to get used to the new you. I'm no expert but I think if a 'diet' is going to work, it has to be more than a diet, it has to be something you can see yourself comfortably living with for the rest of your life, with only a few minor adjustments. Slow and boring, I know, but it works.

Great article! I combine two-three of those - I go for the extreme diet / fast weight loss, then fall off the wagon and instead of just getting back up again after, I let it last for a few days / weeks, the classic all-or-nothing, one day won't matter, I'll start again tomorrow.

I know I do it, I'm now trying to figure out why I can't seem to stop it even though I'm aware of it!

But that's partly why I'm so glad I found minimins - I realised I'm not alone...

You're on a super strict diet
This is because they make you binge when you come off them.If possible, go for a plan that doesn't cut out any food groups.

I binged for 3 years after...perhaps dieting doesn't suit me? lol. :eek::rolleyes:

"don't cut out any food groups" It's interesting, isn't it, that after years of trying various diets, I can't see food as I used to, pre-mad dieting phase. I feel guilty eating all carbs now, not just sweets! I'm scared of bread! I also have no idea of how much I should be eating, or what feeling satisfied feels like (it's either stuffed or starving), although I do know what going into ketosis feels like... how weird am I!!!

I wonder if a sense of "normality" will come back?

"don't cut out any food groups" It's interesting, isn't it, that after years of trying various diets, I can't see food as I used to, pre-mad dieting phase. I feel guilty eating all carbs now, not just sweets! I'm scared of bread! I also have no idea of how much I should be eating, or what feeling satisfied feels like (it's either stuffed or starving), although I do know what going into ketosis feels like... how weird am I!!!

Zoe, did you ever look into Paul McKenna's books and cds? There used to be an 'intuitive eating' forum but it was deleted cos wasn't actually a diet. Beyond Chocolate by sophie and audrey boss and Geneen Roth books are good too.

I ordered the I can make you slim one - sounds interesting! Should arrive shortly (I ordered it on the super slow free delivery option)

Do you follow the Paul Mckenna book?

So will i,unfortunately it seems like weight loss isnt the only journey!! Maintenance tends to be even harder :(

You're right, losing weight isn't the only journey. In fact, it's just the stroll to the starting point :D

Maintenance is easy and hard. Just like dieting really, except little support, few guidelines.

You get your ups and downs the same as on diets.

I guess the easiest way to think of what it will be like, is to imagine you are eating at maintenance calories. Not the calories you need when you are overweight, but the calories you need when you are at goal weight.

Then just do it forever :D

I love being at goal, so I intend staying there whatever it takes :)

I know alot of women diet strictly in the months before christmas in order to wear smaller party dresses and make up for the fact that they will be eating alot of fatty foods, a friend of mine who is usually a size 12, slims down to a size 8 for christmas just so she can binge... it's not healthy!
I guess it's a catch 22 situation right enough...

I must admit, I share your slight distrust of bread. Well, the bread isn't the problem, really, it's my behaviour around bread! :p Thing is, I don't really enjoy bread without a good slick of butter, so I've kind of chucked it by the wayside now.

But please don't skimp on other carbs! Especially the potato! The potato earns its keep. I think pasta does, too, but I know a lot of people can have problems controlling their portion size - it's very moreish, isn't it. But seriously, I think you need carbs, especially as you're a dedicated runner, right? Carbs are vital. Don't be afraid of them, it's what is frequently added to them, and the fatty, sugary refined types, that need a bit of caution. Potatoes, couscous, bulgur wheat, rice, pasta... they deserve some love - they're certainly not the enemy!

You are right Iris, but I have to take it at a slow pace - I'm doing well and don't want to jeopardise it! I've put new potatoes on the agenda for tomorrow, and I do actually have carbs every day - definitely for breakfast (combined with protein), in the form of veg (of which I get plenty) or milk etc. and usually a treat every day or couple of days (today I had 3 biscuits, but it was WI day!).

I do still have issues with baked potatoes, even with healthy toppings - which is annoying me. I've been so drummed into low GI thinking that I worry about having them, even with a protein topping such as cottage cheese. And pasta is even worse. I'd definitely not touch white pasta, but even wholewheat pasta gives me the fear. And white rice too - although I'm happy to have wholegrain occasionally.

When I've lost some more weight, I'll look at reintroducing these things...

Silly, aren't I!!!

You're not silly at all! I understand the need to get into a routine and feel like you're in the one in control now, not the food. I just worry that denying yourself spuds or pasta while losing means that your body (or psyche?) is storing up an almighty fixation with them which could make controlled eating difficult when they're reintroduced, you know? The body can act strangely when it's been deprived of what it really wants or needs. You can find yourself standing at 4am in the kitchen, almost as if you've sleep-walked there, shoveling dry muesli into your mouth while not even consciously processing what you're doing. Scary stuff!

I think you've got it beaten this time, though. Sounds like you're firmly in the driving seat, so you've got to do what feels and works best for you. If you can happily get by cutting down carbs without going too nuts, then that's the right thing for you. I have a similar nervousness around fats, even though I know how important it is to get the good essential ones. For months I was eating typically 10g of fat a day, which some boffins say is enough, but most say is undercutting by too much. But I needed to feel in control, and I didn't want to change what seemed to be working well. I've been trying to get out of that comfort zone, though, gradually upping the fat. Today I had a handful of fruit and nut mix. Cashews, walnuts, brazils, almonds... felt like an explosion of grease in my mouth initially, but I feel like my body appreciated the treat.

It's hard to get rid of that little sneaking voice at the back of the head that whispers 'fat, you'll get fat again, you fatty fraud!' whenever you eat something outside the sacred circle of Safe Foods. But I'm working on gagging that inner shrew!

Life without carbs? What would be the point?!

Zoe you really are exercising enough to deserve a good healthy dose of carbs! And I do agree with Iris in that potatoes get a ridiculously bad rap. Once you measure you're portions out you'd be surprised how little calories they actually contain - and no fat. A personal favourite mine is baby new potatoes baked with some cooking spray and a bit of salt/pepper...perfect with baked fish, chicken whatever. Hungry now...!

carbs are part of a balanced diet and potatoes are naturally occurring... thats how I reassure myself anyways....

Back