Irish Molly's 2011 Diary

Well done, and good luck. How do you manage eating out? I don't find many places are really GI/GL friendly but maybe that is me not looking properly or not being familiar enough with the rules/principles....

Well done on the sts molly :D x

shakenomore said:
Well done, and good luck. How do you manage eating out? I don't find many places are really GI/GL friendly but maybe that is me not looking properly or not being familiar enough with the rules/principles....

Most of the time it is no big problem. Lunch can always be a salad type meal and limit the starchier pasta salads. If limited to a sandwich bar I try to go for a wrap and generally leave about a third of the actual wrap on the plate. I always carry something like a Nakd fruit bar which is very wholesome and I can have it with a coffee. An open wholemeal bread sandwich and leave some of it on the plate if you feel there are too many refined carbs in it.
For hot meals, I opt for fish or chicken and order the least saucy menu option. If the dish comes with potato, I will either have a little of it or ask fir an extra portion of veg instead. Two or three baby new potatos are ok. Limit dressings/ sauces by ordering them on the side or just scraping it to the side. Load up on water and have a coffee instead of dessert.
I have found that I can manage well enough unless I do want to pig out a little.
Remember to adopt an 80/20 rule so you can have a little if what you fancy but in moderation.

12/03/11 Another STS week so all good. I feel in control of food at the minute. My snacking had been a bit out of control. Definitely, for me, if I start to eat too much carb laden treats then it is bingefest time. I'd hope for another sts week ahead or even a small loss would be good.

Well done on the sts, can I ask what do u like for breakfast ? I find i miss breadost for breakfast - thanks

I used to love toast for breakfast but would be ravenous a short while later. Boring as it is, porridge is the most satisfying breakfast for me now. I did not like it initially but you can jazz it up. I take about 40 g porridge, an apricot chopped up, 10g mixed seeds, sprinkle cinnamon and bung it all in a bowl, cover with water and microwave for 3 mins. Add a little milk and enjoy. I also drink 50mls water with this.
Occasionally I have one thin slice homemade wholmeal soda bread and two poached eggs.
I might also make a fruit salad of berries and kiwi and gave it with two dessert spoons of yoghurt and a teaspoon if mixed seeds.
I make up my own seed mix with pumpkin, linseed, sunflower and sesame seeds. It works out cheaper than buying the prepacked mixed seeds.
As I said earlier, porridge is the most sustaining for me. I don't miss toast or bread in general any more.

Thanks IM, I love porridge, I just get fed up of it sometimes, but I'll try adding some things like u suggest, I find if I eat fruit fir breakfast I'm starving all morning -

What about a scrambled or poached egg with mushrooms and one slice of bread??

I love eggs and they are filling, I should eat them more- thanks

17/03 Happy St Patrick's day to everyone. I'm in celebratory mood. Lush lunch and off to a dinner party tonight so GL will be a bit of a back burner as there will be chocolate cake and oodles of fine wine! I'll be good on the other food choices!

Enjoy the celebrations chick :) x

I've had a few days of overindulgences. Not bingeing just a lot of events where food and drink were the order of the day!!
Missed my weigh in yesterday but I guess I may be up a pound or two. I will get back in control this week hopefully.
Good luck to everyone for their week ahead.

Glad u enjoyed yourself :)

Good to hear you enjoyed yourself IM and can get back on track! Trying to do the same myself!

28/3 I'm relieved to have had a STS week. In reality I probably lost a couple of pounds as I did not have my weigh in last week. I was up a couple of pounds on other days so i guess I've dropped those now. Maintaining is about getting back on track as quickly as possible after either a planned or unplanned break. It can be all too easy to let things get out of hand otherwise.

wow wow wow! Molly, thankyou so much for donating to Alzheimers Society in aid of my run. I can't thankyou enough and I feel blessed you are the first one to donate. Thankyou again chick :) xxxxxxx

No problem. You deserve support. The cause is worthy in it's own right but your effort to get to where you can participate in the run is even more worthy. You don't always have to be competitive at running but keep up the running as it will keep the weight at bay for you. Well done again on great prep fir the race and I hope you raise loads.

Hi Molly,

Did u see Patrick Holford is doing a seminar in Athlone in June

Back