Irish Molly's 2011 Diary

Foo Fan also check out the Useful GI/GL recipes thread and the Tips&Tricks thread on this forum too.

Simply put,on GL, to achieve weightloss;
Eat three small meals and two snacks. Eating regularly is important so do not skip meals or snacks thinking you are saving cals etc.
Portion sizes are very small. Initially, either weigh or use cupped hand.
Avoid bread, potato, pasta, rice as far as possible. Substitute with rye crackers, oat crackers, quinoa, couscous.
Eat fish, chicken, turkey. Reduce red meat.
Eat leafy green veg. General rule is to eat anything that grows above the ground.
For fruit, choose berries or apple and pears, kiwis.
For snacks. Fruit or oat crackers with hummus or peanut butter( very little!!)
Water!!!! A must! Drink 2 litres over the course of the day.
When eating a starchy meal,leave the bread potato, pasta or rice to one side and eat the protein and veg first. Then eat a little of the starchier foods. This way you will eat less of the starch and lower the GL of your meal.
In weightloss phase alcohol must be avoided otherwise no losses.
If you follow this you will not feel hungry after the first couple of weeks.
Try to view this as a plan for life.​

What great information IL. I know that for me, Im going to have to start really watching portion sizes as I think thats where Im going wrong. Mind you, saying that, I am following a slightly different plan which is based on gi, and its me thats heading more towards the GL. I found it easy enough to start with, but finding now, that Im having to totally revisit how I eat, which is what I mean about the smaller portion sizes.
Anyway, thanks again. You are so great posting your knowledge.

Thanks great advice :) x

Clarri don't get hung up on whether it's Gi or GL. GL is just a newer version of Gi from what I understand. Follow your plan and really watch portion control. I know it is where I have always had to be careful.

Thanks IM,
Im starvo this arvo (like that rhyme!!). But I think Im doing well. I had brought lunch but them my Mum messaged me for lunch so had t change plan,
I had slice parma ham, 2 slices melon, slice mozerella, and salad leaves. I told her no bread, crisps anything. But then I was hungry in the past half hour, so have actually had my lunch which was a small serving of lentils and a "lump" of turkey breast. And a ff yog.
Feel thats on track!!
xx

What with bank holiday etc I have forgotten to weigh in!!! But with the weather the bank holiday and another next weekend I am in a very relaxed mode. Not so much eating wrong foods just ovreating portionwise. So I guess I'm up a couple of pounds. I'll worry about it after next week.
Hope everyone is doing well.

I love your attitude Molly! :) You will get your portion sizes sorted, enjoy your weekend and more of the lovely weather! x

Enjoy this last weekend of 'nawtyness' Molly. I'm right with ya Tuesday back on track :) xx

Yep hon, back on the straight and narrow soooooon!!! Enjoy Newquay.

Well kinda back on the straight and narrow!! I've been making bad food choices the last five or six weeks and it's starting to show. Getting a bit of muffin top!!! So got to get back on track!!
I have not weighed myself so don't know the damage I've done. I'll weigh in on Monday next and take it from there.
At least I've not been totally out of control just too long in a relaxed mode.
It's so much easier when I stay totally on GL friendly foods, no cravings, no overeating!!

Well ya know what to do then hun, get back on the gl foods :D xxx

Friday the 13th!!!! As good a day as any to make a statement of intent! I've been slacking off the past six weeks or so. A couple of STS weeks lulled me into thinking I could be less careful! Wrong!! Over the following weeks I did the following :
Did not watch portion sizes.
Started having more cake and biscuits with coffee.
Eat more bread.
Was having more alcohol which always weakens my defences.
Did not drink enough water.
Eating the wrong foods left me peckish so I snacked more.
The end result is I am five pounds up which is also four pounds over the top of my desired weight range ( 170-180). I thought it would be worse but still it is time to be more careful. What I am glad about us that I did not have days of heavy overeating of all the wrong foods.
This week I have been weaning myself back into a healthier lifestyle. I have been more careful on portion sizes, drinking a bit more water and cutting back on snacks. I will try a few weeks without alcohol. I feel so much better too, less bloated and sluggish. if I can manage it. So , a STS this week will at least stop the rot and hopefully I can drop a few pounds over the coming weeks.
The only fly in the ointment is a holiday down the country in a week or so but I will manage that.
Have a good weekend folks.

Okay I got a STS this week so my gradual rowing back is working. Downwards from here on.
My foods will be drawn from this list:

B: 500mls water + 2 coffees with one of:
>50 g porridge oats
>Poached egg on two slices of burgen soy and linseed bread.
>40g Smoked salmon on one slice homemade brown bread
>148 g Mixed berries with seeds and 100 ml yoghurt

L: 500 mls water, coffee with one of:
>68 g tuna , 2 boiled beetroot, salad on two rye crackers
>Carman or Nakd bar
>Chicken salad wrap

D: one of these:( recipes in recipe thread)
>spicy mixed bean dish
>Veg stir-fry with quorn
>Quinoa,prawn and veg stir-fry
>Turkey and veg with 30 g couscous
> Lentil curry with mixed veg on the side

Pudding: 100 mls yoghurt with:
>125g blueberries
>Apple
>Pear
>Two plums
>Two kiwi

Snacks: any two of the following
>two plums with 15 g mixed seeds
>Chopped apple
>2 Oatcakes with peanut butter or cherry toms and cream cheese
>Up to 4 nairns sweet biscuits
>Nature valley chewy trail mix bar
>Kit Kat two finger bar
>Small bar chocolate

STS is brill molly, well done. menus looking great, onwards and downwards as you say :) x

Sounds like a great plan Molly :). I love the way you can ease into things. It's like you've gradually slowed the roll forwards to a sts standstill this week and will now start to roll back - gradually & gently. Love it! :) xx

Yeah Jan. Doing it any other way makes it become a yo yo affair. I really don't want to get into a cycle of bingeing and then starving. So slowly on and slowly off will be the most sustainable way forward for me. Anything else and my body will think it's being starved and will hold onto the energy. My mind will also feel deprived and I'll constantly think of food. So that would not work.
This way, I eat what I want from healthy choices and the rest will follow, hopefully!!!!

Clarri, I'll be in Clare so not quite the sunny south east. Hope you are back on track too.

Back