Irish Molly's GL Diary

Spelt Bread

Hi IM, just wondering on your post on 5 June you have Spelt Bread in your menu for the day. Was this homemade or shop bought? Thanks

I make my own which is a variation on brown soda bread. Spelt has less gluten than wheat flour so you must work quickly once you add the fluid. If you don't the gluten breaks down and your bread won't cook properly at all. It has happened me once or twice!!

Heat oven to 200C and use a loaf tin.
250 g wholemeal spelt flour
250g plain spelt flour
1 teaspoon bicarb of soda
pinch of salt.
Bung all of the above in a bowl. Mix together with a wooden spoon to get some air into the mixture.
Add about 350mls of buttermilk.
mixture should be about a stiff fairycake consistency.
Turn into loaf tin and bake for 45 -49 mins.
It really is lovely and tastes just like wholemeal bread.
For a variation add a dessert spoon of mixed seeds on top or mix them into the mixture.

116lbs OMG!!!! You're WONDERFUL and I sincerely hope you acknowledge that to yourself!

Wrinkles?? .... Tell me about it ;) but hell ... much better than that skin being full of fat!! (that's what I tell myself anyway ;))

And Hey! You deserve a crunchie now and again ;) xx

Ah Jan, ever the great support. I do feel a sense of achievement as it seemed almost an impossible task to begin with but once on the road, I never looked back. The weeks and months have flown by especially with the great support and info here on Minimins.

Nothing's impossible as you have proven and will inspire lots of other people to prove too!!! :D xx

Thanks IM for posting the recipe. I will try to get the wholemeal spelt flour in my local Health food shop today and try it. It would be ideal to have with some soup for lunch.

30/08 Today was a reasonable day.
Usual porridge brekkie.
lunch was a nature valley bar and a kit kat[oops]
dinner was salad with 60g smoked salmon and 30g pearl barley. two nectarines and dessert spon of mixed seeds.
Aldi organic bar 94 cals.

Personally I didn't see any slip up there. Not for somebody at target! ;) xx

Thanks girls. Just being hard on myself as I don't want to get complacent. I'm on hols down the country next week and want to save any naughtiness for those days.
Spent the rest of the evening preparing a few pounds of damsons to make some damson gin and vodka for Christmas!!!!! ( she drools as she writes)!!!! Eat a load of the bloody damsons too, have indigestion now!!

Hmmm, Damson gin and vodka - sounds delicious!! Hope you enjoy your break in the Country and get the weather! I always think you couldn't be in a nicer place than Ireland when the sun is shining, but we rarely see that! We'll miss you posting on here for the few days! Have fun.

Oooh where abouts are ya off to molly?

And damson gin and vodka - how an earth are you making that?! :giggle: x

I have just seen your fantastic news :happy036: Well done at getting to goal. You are an inspiration.

Damson gin or vodka is dead easy.
1lb damsons
6oz sugar and a bottle of gin or vodka.

Prick the damsons all over with a fork. Put them in a container that can be sealed.
Add the sugar and the vodka or gin.
Put the lid on and give it a good shake.
Keep it in a cool dark place.
Shake it every day for a few days until you see all the sugar has dissolved.
Then leave it for about three months.
Taste periodically to see how sweet it is. If it is too tart then add a small amount of sugar and leave for another few days. Do not add too much sugar at once as you can't take back the sweetness!!!
When it is ready, strain the liquor off the damsons and bottle.
You can make a pie out of the damsons if you wish.
Yum yum liquer for Xmas!!!

31/08 Today was a busy day so did not pick too much.
Brekkie: I know it sounds so boring, every day the same!!! But, it works best for me, the usual 50g porridge/seed mix and 500 mls water to drink.
Lunch: 60g barbecued salmon with cherry toms and some green salad dressed with pepper and balsamic. 500mls water
Dinner: Lentil curry/green salad/150g mixed veg. 500 mls water
Dessert: blueberries/seeds/yoghurt.
Snacks: the last small bar choc in the house!!! one small slice soda bread/plum jam. My one treat is when I make bread, I love a slice with jam. It used to about three slices but now it is one slice twice a week when Imake the bread for OH. three coffees with a little milk.

Sounds lovely :)

I've never tried soda bread - might give that a try xx

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well. I've had a busy couple of days.
Foodwise doing pretty o.k.
Yesterday:
Brekkie: usual fruit/cinnamon porridge and 500 mls water
Lunch: 60g barbecued salmon chopped and served with a salad dressed with balsamic and pepper. 500 mls water
Dinner: Lentil curry, 500 mls water
Dessert: 2 Plums and yoghurt
Snacks:500 mls water, three garibaldi biscuits, apple, aldi bar

Today
Brekkie: slice wholemeal bread and coffee
Lunch: two slices of bacon with rye crackers and salad.
Dinner: bean stew
dessert : apple and yoghurt
Snacks: two digestives, three garibaldis, club milk, two plums.
Only had about a litre and half of water today!!
I also notice that the biscuits are a bit too regular. I sometimes just bet bored of fruit snacks so think a plain biscuit is o.k. but I should bet back to my oatcakes as they satisfy the peckishness but don't make you feel like having half a pack!!! Definitely when I have regular biscuits they make me want more and more of them. I guess it's all the hydrogenated fats, salt that do it!!

Last edited:
You are doing fantastic!

I know what you mean about the biccies and not being able to stop. I have avoided anything other than dark chocolate and oat biscuits for the last couple of weeks as I know I couldn't stop if I started! In work on a Friday one of my co-workers always brings us a treat. Last week it was a mini apple pie and no matter how many times you say no, he still leaves it on your desk for you. Anyway the only way last week I could stop myself from eating it was to throw it in the bin :eek:... today he'll be around with another one so we'll see if my resolve lasts!! Which Aldi bars do you get, these might be good for a snack every now and again, I struggle with variety in snacks as you might have noticed from my posts....

5/09 away the moment, in Kerry. weighed in a chemist yesterday. How sad am I !! No damage done yet. Its a STS so that is good. Next week may tell a different story!! hope you are all doing well.

Back