Irish Molly's GL Diary

Thks Jan but you can never say you have it cracked. I have always tended towards weightiness so being careful will be the only way to maintain the new me!! But as I keep saying to myself, "A week I want to overeat will be a week in which I wll gain". The brilliant thing with GL, for me, is the fact I just do not feel deprived at all and I genuinely do not crave the bad carbs at all. Don't understand it but hope I can keep it up.

I'm sure you can .... as far as understanding it is concerned .... who cares?? ;) ..... ha ha .. you know what I mean :D xxx

15/08 Wahay!!! 3lbs down this week and that is also with changing my WI a day early,to Sunday morning. I am now bang on 13st which, to some of you will seem too heavy but this is about my average adult weight. So, I am well pleased. I will try and knock off just another few pounds but will be extremely happy if I can maintain around this figure. I have had a very stressful couple of weeks with work and am so pleased that I have not used this as an excuse to pig out. Sure, I had the odd treat and a few glasses of wine but no big trip to the shops for six bags of crisps and a few choccie bars as I have been doing for the last ten to fifteen years!! which is what got me where I was this time last year.
Hope everyone is doing well. Keep strong! GL really rocks!!

Wow! Well done :D You're going great guns at the moment. Seems like old habits are well and truly broken. Good for you!! :) xxx

Thanks Jan. I sure hope the old habits are gone. I feel in control and though I sometimes feel like a breakout, I generally resist or have something less sinful!!! I truly believe eating carb rich foods just makes me feel hungrier a short time later. Keeping off wheat in all forms (most of the time!!) is also key for me.
Here's to a good week for us all!

19/08 Better post food for today:
40g porridge with dried fruit in it. cooked with water three mins in microwave. Cool it down with some more water. sprinkle ona little cinnamon. It's ovely. Down half litr water with this
Lunch was two oatcakes with a little hummus and two oat biscuits
Dinner: chckpeas curry with stalk celery,1/4 courgette,1/4 pepper, dew spices and dessert sp creme frache and half tin chick peas.
snacks two plums, chopped and added 100g yoghurt to it and teaspoon of seeds on top.
nature valley granola bar, didnt eat it all at once.
drinks 3 coffees, 3 litres of water.

Think am guna get my subscription in on yer diary misses :)
Will have a read over it tomorrow at some point x

It's a good read Tan - you'll learn loads!

Thanks Irish :D xx

The only thing i dont like about this GI stuff is not knowing it all first!!!!! It drives me mad not to know stuff like this before i get go - but i guess i'll be alright learning whilst doing :p I feel a little up in the air with it but im about to nose through this diary ;)

Tanya, it is a bit confusing if ou try to go into it too deeply. Patrick Holford's GL Diet Bible is a great indepth read on it. I have stuck to the simple principles of drastically reducing or cutting out completely potato/pasta/rice and bread. These are all heavy on carbs and usually refined carbs which are not great. If you must have foods from these groups then go for ones that are much less processed. Food processing increases the GL of any food. So ,the fresher, rawer the better. I cannot overemphasize the importance of portion sizes. Any week I have not had a loss it is just because I let portion control slip not so much because I eat the wrong foods.
Here is today's food for me:
Brekkie: 50g porridge with dried fruit in it, made with water. I no longer take milk on porridge. Was a bit yeuch to start but now it tastes lovely!! Go figure!
A long day at a conference.
Two large coffees with milk.
Lunch: Coffee with milk and egg salad without the mayo.
Dinner: Chick pea curry (1/3 tin chick peas,1/3 tin toms,garlic, bay leaf,cinnamon,125g courgette, 1/4 pepper, 2 mushrooms, stick celery, 1/4 onion.) added 125g bird's eye mixed veg.
Dessert: 2 plums chopped with 2 dessert spoons greekand honey yoghurt and dessert spoon mixed seeds(sunflower, pumpkin, linseed)
two cadbury koko sweets (had these in the afternoon with a pal)
two aldi harvest morn benefit 70 cal bars.
2.5 ltrs water
Total cals for this day is about 1200.

Yer day looks good and ya even have chocolate ;)

18/08 Brekkie: usual porridge
Lunch: 1 slice wholemeal bread/flora, Nature Valley trail bar, cappucino
Snack cappucino
Dinner: Chick pea curry as yesterday w salad
Dessert: 150g blueberries, dessert spoon mixed seeds and two dessert spoons yoghurt.
Snack: Aldi 70 cal bar and one cadbury koko.
1 1/2 ltrs water.
Total cals about 1400
Felt a bit bloated today, might be the cappucinos and the bars!!

19/08 Today was reasonable. I did not feel peckish at all. Some days, I feel I want to pick a bit at this and that but today was fine.
Brekkie: usual 50g porridge & coffee
Lunch: Nature valley bar, 2 plums.
Afternoon: Harvest morn organic bar 95 cals
Dinner: Lentil curry
Dessert: 150g strawberries, mixed seeds and yoghurt.
Snack: couple of garibaldi biscuits.
Water: 1 1/2 ltrs
total cals for the day was about 1200.

On weighing yourself every day.........
I weigh myself every morning but only record my weight once a week. It is not in any obsessive way but I think a daily weigh in helps keep you focussed and reminds you whether you are doing well or indeed slipping a little.
Anyway, I look like I may be heading for a STS week this week. As a positive for GL this is good, as other than one week since easter, I have not had a gain whilst on GL. The week I had a gain was definitely due to a carb and alcohol overload!! Other occasions have been managed more moderately and have at worst resulted in a STS.
Sunday will be the official weigh in so I'll know then.

Bit of a snacky day today!! Not bad snacks but still too many of them. I was o.k at breakfast but then went out for the day and did not have much water. I think that was my first mistake. When in a friend's house I had a couple of fig rolls. Yummy but gave a hankering for something for the rest of the day.
This evening I had a couple of Nature Valley trail bars and a couple of nectarines as well!! Oh well at least it wasn't a choccie or crisp fest so I guess that's something!!

Sometimes though don't you think for those 2 nature valley bars and nectaries you could have had that packet of crisp - calorie wise?!

Sometimes i think we do need a little bit of what we actually want :)

Yeah - there is that Tan - but maybe there's a danger there of setting off a bingey mode as these things are ... off plan ... for want of a better description.

I wonder if - one day - we'll all be able to have something we really want and just have one and be satisfied? ***sigh*** feels rather unlikely in my case!

Irish I got some Harvet Morn bars in Aldi yesterday but I didn;t realise they had so many different ones and I'm not sure I got the right ones. These are around 62 cals each and 3 flavours - choc & orange, summer fruits and apple & something (I think). Are they the ones you get? xx

Jan, I agree with not having things off plan as you say. Particularly, if foods spike your blood sugars then there is a greater danger of over eating.
Those 62 cal bars are the ones and also the organic 94 cal ones are less sweet. Also they are a cheaper option than some of the health food shop ones. I use them for when I still fancy a bickie. If I had an ordinary biscuit,I'd prob have half a packet. lol

23/08 Well folks my weigh in this week drops another pound off. I am now officially in the 12stone category just!! Have not been there in the last 12yrs or so!!
The compliments I have been getting the last number of weeks is just phenomenal. One girl returning from maternity leave had to ask someone who I was as she did not recognise me!!! She was absolutely gobsmacked at the transformation. Another friend, that I have not seen for two years, who met me recently told me I look the same as when we first met twenty years ago!! Better stop writing as I think I'm starting to get too big headed but it feels fab!!

Back