IS A HUTCH CRUEL FOR A RABBIT

Hi everyone
i am considering getting my kids a rabbit but i read on a forum keeping them in hutches below 6ft squared is cruel??? Anyone have a rabbit who could advise? Thanks

We used to have a rabbit who we kept in the Kitchen. She was trained and hopped in and out of her cage to toilet. She was a joy. Although she snuck upstairs when door was left open and chewed my sons bedclothes. Also chewed a brand new leather bag on me.. Oh and got into utility room and chewed husbands shirt.. But apart from that she was great!

If they are kept in there most of the time, probably.

We have guinea pigs that are in a cage probably 5ft or so but they spend most of their day on the grass. In the winter they come in and are in a similar one inside with a different run for them during the day

A hutch isn't cruel as long as they get a good amount of outside time on the grass for a good mooch.

If you can provide something other than a hutch as somewhere to exercise then that's fine. You wouldn't think your house is too small if you were only there for sleeping and a bit of privacy, but if you suddenly found yourself confined to it forever you'd feel boxed in. Same for bunnies. They naturally cover many miles in the wild and run around to exercise. If you have somewhere safe like a fenced off garden then that would be fine during the day with the hutch providing a safe place for sleeping.

Back