is balsamic vinegar free?

cara78

Hi guys - I cant find any info on this and wondered if anyone knows the answer.....

is balsamic vinegar free? I thought it was (on the basis all vinegars are free!) BUT - i see balsamic dressing has a syn value.... is balsamic vinegar and balsamic dressing the same thing??? HELP! c xxxxx

Balsamic vinegar is free. Balsamic dressing will probably have added oil, hence the syn value.

I think there is a fry light balsamic salad dressing spray which is free though, just to add to the confusion!

i think the above poster is right.

Basic/Non Branded Foods Dressing, Vinegar, all varieties per 100ml

extraeasy.gif
0 Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original Free
green.gif
Green Free

this says 'all varieties' but i would make sure you never confuse it with dressing. xxx

thanks for your quick reply guys! I only discovered balsamic vinegar recently and love it on salads!!! i'm have been gutted if it wasnt free!!! xxx

yes the fry light balsamic dressing is free, I love it on salads. but I also use balsamic vinegar a lot in cooking.

I love balsamic added to tomato sauces with pasta, gives it a nice kick. It's great stuff!!

I was recently given the most lovely present - a pack of four 100ml bottles of different kinds of balsamic vinegar, from Waitrose.

It has an explanation on the back of how they are made. I didn't know this before, but there is a classification of different grades, based on leaves - two leaves is "round and spirited", three leaves is "smooth and polished" and four leaves is "intensely sweet and sour".

Can't wait to try them all!

I was recently given the most lovely present - a pack of four 100ml bottles of different kinds of balsamic vinegar, from Waitrose.

It has an explanation on the back of how they are made. I didn't know this before, but there is a classification of different grades, based on leaves - two leaves is "round and spirited", three leaves is "smooth and polished" and four leaves is "intensely sweet and sour".

Can't wait to try them all!

mmmmm, I'm drooling. I LOVE balsamic vinegar. Whenever I get a chance to go to Whole Foods I always go to their oil and vinegar tasting bits so I can scoff the ancient syrupy balsamic tester they sell for extortionate prices! :D

I agree, some balsamic vinegars can be very expensive. I think that the four-pack I was given costs around £10, which when compared with the cost of the full-sized bottles is pretty good. And it will last me ages.

I agree, some balsamic vinegars can be very expensive. I think that the four-pack I was given costs around £10, which when compared with the cost of the full-sized bottles is pretty good. And it will last me ages.

Ooh, that is a good price! Will have to look out for them. I don't mind paying a little bit more for good balsamic vinegar because as you say, it lasts ages and makes everything taste delicious :)

The ones I try at wholefoods are around £20-30 for a tiny bottle though, it's mad. Tasters are free though ;)

Where can you get the balsamic fry light from - none of the supermarkets in this area seem to stock it?

I got some of the balsamic spray salad lite from Morrisons. I've not seen it in any of the other supermarkets.

There is an apple balsamic that is absolutely scrummy. I've seen a few varieties of it in different places but Morrisons has started to stock a variety of it too.

Back