Is Being Fat OK Now?

Konvictz

society has now accepted many things which once was considered negative.

e.g. coloured people and homosexuals were once discriminated upon, but now society as a whole have accepted them. And i expect society to accept many other things in the future that we do not currently accept.

I was just wandering if society has now started to accept 'fat' people as nothing wrong, and should be treated the same etc etc.

My personal opinion is that someone has has put on the weight by eating a lot should not be encouraged to think its perfectly fine, as there are health risks, and things. People who are obese due to a medical problem do not fall into the category in my opinion.

I saw an article recently where fat people should be charged if they do not diet properly and this got me thinking.

Personaly I think very few people just sit there and think I'm just going to eat everything and anything..

If people have a drink or drug problem or if they are addicted to cigeretts and they are trying to get off of those addictions people and the goverment (who ever is in power) are supportive. However if your problem is over eating well thats down to you. You eat all that food..Well just don't eat as much..If only it were that simple.
Whilst as any of us on this forum know there are plenty of slimming clubs out there all doing rather well out of people's desire to be slim, there is one simple thing that many people forget.. When you are addicted to drink, drugs or alchole you feel you can't live without them the fact is you can...However if you are addicted to food (let's be honest many of us are) You have to eat and you must learn to reprogram your way of thinking about food.
I'm an emotional eater I've realised that at long last..And that gives me a certain level of control but it's not easy if it were I wouldn't still be on this journey 36years after I first started it..
Dose society except people with a weight problem...No

I think this has been discussed before.

People who are addicted to drugs have to stay off the drugs they are addicted to. Not ALL drugs. They may need antibiotics at some point or some other drug. Alcoholics have to stop drinking alcoholic drinks. Not all drinks. You have to drink to stay alive! Fat people never seem to be addicted to lean meat and veg do they? Have you ever heard of anyone saying they are addicted to sprouts lol. So basically, they have to stop eating the food they feel addicted to, which generally can be classed as 'crap' food anyway. Chocolate, takeways and the like.

People aren't born fat, so I don't think they can be descriminated against the same as a black person could be.

I'm sorry but here's a fat person right here that used to binge on ANYTHING... I know that I DIDN'T discriminate on the food that I binged on... I WOULD binge on copious amounts of fruit and vegetable and lean meats.

It doesn't matter whether you are born a way. No-one should be discriminated against. But of course you can be discriminated against in the same way as a person who is of an ethnic minority or gay or gender! I can remember a quote from Duncan Bannantyne... (gym owner of all people) "People who are fat are lazy and I wouldn't employ one"... Not nice really. Put me right off him actually.

The OP says that they don't think that people who are obese because of medical problems should fall into their category... Well I have a medical condition that makes weight loss difficult but I also had massive problems with binging... which could have been "classed" as an eating disorder... things get tangled very quickly and difficult to differentiate between what is a medical condition and not...

I think being big is more accepted, look at clothes sizes that are available, not so long ago 14/16 would be the biggest sizes in the majority or stores. Now the average clothes size is a 16!

I'm sorry but here's a fat person right here that used to binge on ANYTHING... I know that I DIDN'T discriminate on the food that I binged on... I WOULD binge on copious amounts of fruit and vegetable and lean meats.

It doesn't matter whether you are born a way. No-one should be discriminated against. But of course you can be discriminated against in the same way as a person who is of an ethnic minority or gay or gender! I can remember a quote from Duncan Bannantyne... (gym owner of all people) "People who are fat are lazy and I wouldn't employ one"... Not nice really. Put me right off him actually.

The OP says that they don't think that people who are obese because of medical problems should fall into their category... Well I have a medical condition that makes weight loss difficult but I also had massive problems with binging... which could have been "classed" as an eating disorder... things get tangled very quickly and difficult to differentiate between what is a medical condition and not...

I knew there'd be one :D

I've been reading on here for a few years now and must admit the majority of posters do admit to overloading on crap so for alot of people it is a case of having to stay away from it. I myself can't be trusted with one square of chocolate...otherwise it leads to 3 family size bars!!!!:(

There is no black or white to this, just a heck of a lot of grey area.

People are overweight for many reasons; some binge, some are 'addicted' to food, some have a genetic disposition. All, and I do believe all, would like to be thinner. Whether it has become acceptable to be overweight is another thing. It is more common these days, so less surprising perhaps. Shops cater more for larger sizes, which is a good thing I think.

My twins were born with a half pound difference; having been treated identically in the womb I do believe. The heavier one takes after me in her looks, the lighter one after his Dad, who has never been big. Who knows? A genetic predisposition? Yes, I think so, fair? No it's not. But it is how it is.

When I said you don't have to drink to stay alive I meant alchol not water!!

I had an argument with an ex collegue a few months back about this. He now runs his own business and thinks that he is very PC as he employs people of pretty much every ethnic background and sexuality under the sun. BUT he blatantly discriminates on the basis of what I'll call 'body'

He fully admits he wouldn't employ anyone he didn't consider to be fit an healthy. His hit list includes the physically disabled and the overweight. Basically anyone who's more likely to go off sick in his opinion. Or anyone who's likely to need certain allowances made that will cost his company ££'s or time. On the surface this seems pretty draconian and rather small minded not to mention probably illegal!! BUT as a small company with less than 50 employees he simply can't afford to carry anyone who doesn't *ahem* swing their weight!! So I can almost see his point!! I still think he's a pretty unpleasant guy but I can't ignore that there's 50 families relying on him too meet their mortgage!!

Personally I think discrimination on purely racial sexual faith or physical grounds is disgusting. It dehumanises the individual and has no place in modern society. However I look at some of the cuts in provision in local councils and wonder if maybe those of us who for whatever reason have damaged our own health really deserve priority in the funding stakes? Hundreds of millions get spent on healthy eating programmes stop smoking campaigns and drug/alcohol rehab centres and yet my local day centre for adults with learning disabilities is being closed down. Hardly seems fair does it?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Only white, heterosexual people ever believe that ethnic minorities and lesbians/gay men aren't discriminated against. Discrimination is certainly a bit less public (and a lot more illegal) than it used to be, but believe me, it still exists. I'm a lesbian, and at work before people knew, the things I'd hear them say because they presumed that I was just like them :mad:.

As for whether being "fat" is ok... I don't think it's a moral issue for anyone else to make a judgement on. Has it become more "acceptable"... I actually don't think it has. Not a day goes by when I don't see some ridiculous scare story about the "obesity epidemic", and in the past I don't think fat people were considered fodder for public criticism and moralising. Maybe because in the past people were more likely to mind their own bloody business, who knows :D.

My pet hate is society's false concern for "health", particularly the health of fat women. When they say "you should really lose weight for your health", what they really mean is "you should really lose weight because I don't think you're attractive enough, and its your job to be attractive because women's bodies are public property for ANYONE to comment on". Or "You're a burden on the NHS". Well, I for one haven't been to a doctor in about 10 years, and I don't hear anyone telling runners or people who play football or those who engage in extreme sports or generally careless people that they're a burden on the NHS. Stop running, you're likely to suffer a knee injury and my taxes will be paying for your surgery. Stop driving for a living, you might be involved in a pile up and drain the NHS with 18 months of physio for your whiplash, etc.

I don't think we should be dividing "good" fat people (health condition) and "bad" fat people (cake eaters)... how do you tell the difference? And why should they be treated differently? How do you choose between the person with a thyroid condition or the person who overeats due to a lifetime of abuse or the person who has gained weight after pregnancy or the person who didn't have a family to give them the right start in life? Do they have to provide an autobiography with references before it is decided that they're worthy?

Not everyone has the opportunity or education to have the best start in life, not everyone makes the wisest choices for a hundred million different reasons, and when people make presumptions fat people, it's clear that they're just trying to distance themselves from people they see as sub-human, fat people, poor people and whoever else they feel like using to elevate their own self-worth.

Everyone deserves to be treated like a human being and accepted. I don't think being fat makes someone disgusting, ugly, lazy, stupid or anything else. It just makes them fat. I'd like to put in place a law that states that anyone who comments on the percieved health of fat people has to provide their medical records for me to criticise first!

Sorry for the rant :wave_cry:, I didn't mean to sound abrupt at any point, I just feel strongly about this!

My pet hate is society's false concern for "health", particularly the health of fat women. When they say "you should really lose weight for your health", what they really mean is "you should really lose weight because I don't think you're attractive enough, and its your job to be attractive because women's bodies are public property for ANYONE to comment on". Or "You're a burden on the NHS". Well, I for one haven't been to a doctor in about 10 years, and I don't hear anyone telling runners or people who play football or those who engage in extreme sports or generally careless people that they're a burden on the NHS. Stop running, you're likely to suffer a knee injury and my taxes will be paying for your surgery. Stop driving for a living, you might be involved in a pile up and drain the NHS with 18 months of physio for your whiplash, etc.

I don't think we should be dividing "good" fat people (health condition) and "bad" fat people (cake eaters)... how do you tell the difference? And why should they be treated differently? How do you choose between the person with a thyroid condition or the person who overeats due to a lifetime of abuse or the person who has gained weight after pregnancy or the person who didn't have a family to give them the right start in life? Do they have to provide an autobiography with references before it is decided that they're worthy?

THIS FTW.

I absolutely HATE the term "obesity epidemic". I also dislike doctors...excluding my last GP, who was fabulous. In my experience, they are generally the most insensitive and biased toward big people. I generally avoid them, since nothing positive (usually) comes of the visits. As a fat, black woman, I'm sorry to say that in my experience, discrimination is definitely not dead.

SOLE SOURCE RESTARTER said:
Hi OP

I find the term 'coloured people' really offensive!

I didn't realise how offensive that was deemed to be until a black colleague of mine questioned a description passed over the air. The suspect was described as a coloured male and I always remember Davy coming on at the end of the broadcast and asking the girl who said it 'this coloured male can you confirm what colour he is, you didn't say and I'm wondering if he's red/blue/green or what'. He did it soooo beautifully and it's always stuck with me :)

He said later that he absolutely hated hearing 'coloured'

People are usually overweight because they overeat. They overeat because of another unaddressed problem. This can create truly difficult situations for those who are overweight. There are a lot of reasons for overweight/obesity.

Some people have been overweight since they were children, and that creates quite a struggle. For others, metabolism slows down with age, and the weight steadily comes on and before you know it, you are overweight or obese (that would be me actually, became a teenager and got fat right away).

There are still more people who use food as a sort of drug to avoid negative feelings or flashbacks, and they know that the eating and snacking is unhealthy but they simply don't know how to stop. There are more reasons for heaviness I'm sure, but I am by no means an expert!

I think parts of society want to call people who are overweight "full-figured" or "curvy" or "big boned," but by doing so they are misusing those terms. Overweight is overweight, but it does not by any means make somebody bad, stupid, or unacceptable. Both of my parents and several of my friends struggle with their weight, and I know they are all highly intelligent people.

People don't want to hurt others' feelings and so everything, eventually, is okay, and then eventually it's not even okay to remark about somebody being overweight.

Should we all mind our own business? Sure! But do I think it's acceptable to express genuine concern or support (not the fake concern) for a loved one who is struggling with his/her weight? Absolutely.

It is NEVER motivating to hear "you need to lose weight." Ever. Okay, maybe for some people, but I haven't met anybody yet who is motivated by people telling them they're fat! See below:

"You know, you're really overweight. You should go on a diet."
"Oh thanks, I don't have any mirrors and I never see myself naked, so I had no idea!"

Not effective.

Being unhealthy is not okay. Telling somebody it's okay to be overweight is as bad as pressuring and guilt-tripping them to diet just because you think they're unattractively fat. Again, just because somebody is fat does not mean they are stupid! This is something I feel a lot of people believe.

I struggle with my own biases regarding specific people in my life who are "morbidly obese." It's weird, because for some people I know, their size makes no difference. For others, I struggle not to judge them for it (I never say or do anything discriminatory though!). :( I am working on this!

I think society is struggling to find a balance between deeming what is equal to good health, and acceptance of everybody.

Last edited:
People having a past that makes them 'comfort eat' for whatever reason seems to be a new epidemic. It seems strange that most of the reasons given have been going on since Jimmy Jesus wore short pants so why is it only in the last few decades has this overweight issue been such a problem???

I have an underactive thyroid and put on weight because of it but I certainly haven't used it as an excuse to STAY overweight. The weight does come off slowly but I was determined so lost it slowly.

Couldn't agree more with happypears post. I think people who discriminate or judge on any grounds do it to raise their own self worth or from a place of ignorance.

The reason why we see more evidence of acceptance e.g larger clothes sizes becoming available- is simply because someone somewhere realised there was money to be made. simple.

People are innately unique both genetically And in upbringing/nurture/culture/background/experience- whatever label you want to choose to describe it. We need to embrace this "uniqueness". Unless it is harmful to someone or the person concerned is deeply unhappy and wants to change for themselves- is it ever anyone else's business to ensure we are all acceptable and conforming?

The media do a very good job to ensure we all know what the "acceptable standard" to aspire too looks like- but I can help but look at the more senior generations and see that they accept people based on values and principles not by how they look.

Sorry for the rant but some of the comments throughout this post hit a nerve.

As the great bill and ted once said - "just be excellent to each other."

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I also have a problem with people using obesity as a prejudice and lumping it in with personality traits. What the hell has being fat got to do with intelligence or social worth? That is truly annoying to think that just because I'm big I am somehow not human.

Thunderthighs, I had personal issues in my past that led to my obesity. I have struggled for years on and off to lose the weight, yo-yoing (more up than down) along the way. I personally think that for someone as heavy as I started off, comfort/binge eating was definitely a 'symptom' of other problems. I can honestly say that for me, it wasn't just eating for the sake of eating. It takes a lot of pain to knowingly pile on over 20st of extra weight on your body. No one does that simply for the repeated taste of chocolate or a MacDonald's run (or greed). Trust me. I believe that 100% of eating disorders stem from emotional and personal issues. Sure, it starts small. THEN it escalates. That's the hard part.

Yes, some people have issues and they don't put on weight. They may turn to other things. Maybe drugs, or alcohol. Maybe smoking. Maybe even self-harm. Obesity/Anorexia/Bulimia are forms of self-harm.

I'm not sure why it's easier for people to believe that Anorexia/Bulimia can be classed as valid medical conditions as a direct result of personal issues....No one just stops eating for the fun of it. No one just binges for the fun of it. No one just purges for the fun of it. Binge eating is a disorder.

It has become a bigger issue in these last few decades because of the way food is made and produced. We no longer have to 'hunt and gather' - why bother? Pizza Hut deliver right to your door! There's a MacDonald's/Burger King/Chinese/KFC on damn near every street - sometimes TWICE! Supermarkets have got it down pat - everytime I walk in, no matter whether it's holiday season or not, I'm bombarded with BOGOF offers on everything that's not so good for you. People don't get out as much as they did in years past - now we have DVD, Internet, Mobile communication, video games - all designed to make life easier and fun. All you need do is lift a finger. That's why generations before us probably lived longer and healthier. They didn't have this excess of convenience.

That's not to say that there weren't obese/Anorexic/Bulimic people then too. It was just less prevalent.

Even now, on my journey, I will still face prejudice from those who don't know I've changed my lifestyle. Those who don't know that I am, in fact, on a healthy eating and exercise plan. I will be probably be prejudiced against right up until I hit my goal weight. Some people might even look at me and 'assume' that I am content like this...and they'd obviously be wrong. I'm trying to change, but they can't 'see' that.

Last edited:
People having a past that makes them 'comfort eat' for whatever reason seems to be a new epidemic. It seems strange that most of the reasons given have been going on since Jimmy Jesus wore short pants so why is it only in the last few decades has this overweight issue been such a problem???

I have an underactive thyroid and put on weight because of it but I certainly haven't used it as an excuse to STAY overweight. The weight does come off slowly but I was determined so lost it slowly.

I believe that after WW2 food became more readily available to those in various places in Europe and in the states. Fast food restaurants have exploded and so have horrid snacks like Twinkies and Oreos. Things in life have become more convenient, too; more people have cars, for instance...

I think since WW2 ended, fast food restaurants and snack companies have greatly expanded. More access to food for everybody = weight gain!

It's unfortunate that many people have simply not been educated about health and proper food intake. :(

Back