Is PYO worth it???

Have read a few threads on here about Pick Your Own - ie Strawberries & just woundering is it cost effective??

I have had a look & my nearest is about 40 miles away so it would need to be worth it for me to go!!

Just woundered what your PYO peeps thought :D

It is a lot cheaper than the supermarkets. I'm not sure though if you're travelling 80miles round trip!
Have a look and see if you have a market / farmers' market nearer - they tend to have better prices (and more local produce) than the supermarkets too :)

Thanks - thought of that but like the idea of getting my LO involved - think she's really enjoy it.

I could always try & combine it with an afternoon out somewhere maybe??

I wouldn't travel that far to do it. I've PMO in the past, but see it more as a way to have a giggle for a couple of hours, rather than a serious way to save money. Might be an idea if you're needign a S/SS boost, cos you're allowed to eat as you go! hahahah

Funnily enough I have been thinking about going to do this too, I have 2 little girls who would LOVE it, and its a lot closer than 80 miles away. Strawberries are costing me a fortune so it would be a nice way to spend an afternoon AND save a bit of money, well, at least for a couple of days.

How long do freshly picked ones last for?

i went 2 weeks ago and the place where i went had an offer on fill one 6lb punnet and get 2 plastic lil tubs 2 fill for free i had a ridiculous amount of strawberries for cheaper than in supermarket and they were so nice if u r thinkin of makin a day of it then not 2 bad but is quite far mine is only bout 15- 20 miles away x

Ditto Michelle.

We grow our own in tubs in the garden and are lucky enough for hubby to have an allotment, so grow them down there too.

They take up very little space and the crop is amazing. Plus they need very little care, just watering.

Michelle

LOL, I have about 6 strawberry plants in the garden but they arent producing anywhere near enough to feed us at the level we get through them. Hence the pondering about PYO.

Funnily enough I have been thinking about going to do this too, I have 2 little girls who would LOVE it, and its a lot closer than 80 miles away. Strawberries are costing me a fortune so it would be a nice way to spend an afternoon AND save a bit of money, well, at least for a couple of days.

When we went we got a large punnet (the boxes with a handle for £5 - lovely strawberries - probably lasted about a week in the fridge, but you can freeze them too :) Stock up MLM :)

Hi MLM the best places on the Wirral for PYO are Church Farm in Thurstaston or Claremont Farm in Clatterbridge. We're thinking of going too, maybe this weekend if the weather is nice!

Back