Is Slimming World right for my fiance?

Casg

Hi Guys,

My fiance has (admittedly) put on weight, the past few weeks we have done a low carb diet together, and both done well, however, he is getting very agitated at eating eggs, no cereal and no rice with his (homemade) curry.

My friends on fb really rate SW and I was wondering before i buy all the stuff if it would be right for him, he LOVES his cereal for breakfast, normally would have cereal or a nice chicken/bacon wrap for lunch and then a homecooked meal in the evening. He also loves cake as a treat.

Do you think SW would be right for him?

Also, ive already got a book about the green/red/free/syn foods, but just dont understand how it all goes together? (We currently live abroad so unable to attend any meetings until we get home in the summer)

Any advice, comments would be appreciated :)

Its all just normal food on SW but he would need to be prepared to make some small changes to his diet if he wants the weight to come off

For instance he can have his porridge or cereal for breakfast but it would likely be a smaller amount (35g porridge oats and cereals are 30g to 35g) but this can be bulked out by adding fruit and/or yoghurt to keep him filled up. He may need to choose a different cereal though depending on what he is eating just now

Wraps are difficult as they are pretty high in calories and therefore syns - full sized ones come in about 10 syns and we get only 15 syns a day. So he could have a wrap but it would mean fewer syns available for those treats like biscuits, crisps, alcohol and cake. But there are loads of different things he could have for lunch instead that would satisfy him while still losing weight

There are so many free foods that can be eaten without weighing or measuring that evening meals will not be a problem, you just need to switch to low fat cooking methods

So all in all its pretty much just normal healthy eating :)

Wraps are difficult as they are pretty high in calories and therefore syns - full sized ones come in about 10 syns and we get only 15 syns a day

Just to add to this ^, Weight Watchers wraps are only 5.5 Syns. Yes they are smaller than your average wrap, but you save on Syns. If he packed it full of chicken and lots of salad then I'm sure it would fill him up just as much as a "normal" sized wrap. Alternatively, at just 5.5 Syns each he could have two a day, and still be within his Syns allowance at 11/15.

Thanks for your replies! I normally make his wraps up for him (All homemade) but im sure he would be okay to take things differently. Cereal he would normally have cornflakes with yogurt, porridge, or coco pops for treats at the weekend.

Ive bought a list of the foods for green/red/extras etc, thinking it would have the instructions on how it all works, turns out it doesnt so i just have a list of foods that dont really mean anything to me? Can I do the extra easy plan using this?

BTW PrincessStevie - your pics are amazing hope i do that well!

Thanks for your replies! I normally make his wraps up for him (All homemade) but im sure he would be okay to take things differently. Cereal he would normally have cornflakes with yogurt, porridge, or coco pops for treats at the weekend.

Ive bought a list of the foods for green/red/extras etc, thinking it would have the instructions on how it all works, turns out it doesnt so i just have a list of foods that dont really mean anything to me? Can I do the extra easy plan using this?

BTW PrincessStevie - your pics are amazing hope i do that well!

Yes, you can do extra easy following that. Basically - if something is free on either Red / Green, then it is Free on Extra Easy too. So, chicken is free on Red, so it is also free on Extra Easy. Potatoes are free on Green, and also on Extra Easy, etc. If you have a read through the thread that Toddles posted you should be able to pick up the basics.

And also thank you very much for the lovely comment! I still have a long way to go but I'm very proud of what I've achieved so far. If you are determined and focused enough you can do anything - good luck xx

Thank you :)

I think I have my head around it! (Or hope!)

So for example, if I wanted a roast dinner, I would have a third of a plate of Green day items, a third of Original day, and then a third super free.
Id then get 2 healthy extras to eat during the day .. (Everybody seems to say a and b, but the list I have doesn't put them into that category, just healthy green, healthy original, and healthy both). So would I use these for breakfast and lunch?.

Also then have the 15 syns a day, which I belive you take the lower syn value of?

I downloaded an old copy of the red and green plans I don't find them any trouble at all. If i am unsure of anything I check on here, but I lost weight and if it worked in 2007 it should still work now.

Mind the download doesn't include EE, but that is fine by me as I don't do meat usually. I do only green so it's carb based. I too love my cereal etc to the point where I could be a female version of your fiance. You can use cereals as your health extra, and if the portion is too small he can weight out (usually 28g) another amount and count it as a syn.

If you want to know where I got them or what I plugged into google to get them let me know

I dont understand where his lunch would come from? He would use his healthy extras on his breakfast (cereal and milk), so what would he have for his lunch, everything else seems to be used up?... Would he go into his syns?

Free foods hun - so all that pasta, rice, noodles,potatoes, lentils, pulses, lean meat and fish, fruit and veg, eggs, quorn, fat free dairy

But yes he could include syns or syn free products if he wants to :)

Whaaaat, I DO NOT understand how this works!! haha.
So he could have maybe breakfast coco pops (for syn) and his HEXa milk
Then for lunch he could have something like chicken pasta salad (aslong as 1/3 was superfree) and then the same for dinner. But if something with break it would be from syns.
Then something like spag bol for evening (again 1/3 superfree),

AND STILL LOSE?? lol

Whaaaat, I DO NOT understand how this works!! haha.
So he could have maybe breakfast coco pops (for syn) and his HEXa milk
Then for lunch he could have something like chicken pasta salad (aslong as 1/3 was superfree) and then the same for dinner. But if something with break it would be from syns.
Then something like spag bol for evening (again 1/3 superfree),

AND STILL LOSE?? lol

Yes, and if he has lots to lose, he'll lose it easily and quickly. It's all about preparation. You are cutting out dramatically sugar and fat, so your spag bol, you make with extra lean beef mince, or turkey breast mince etc.

Back