IS this a side effect?

amethyst

Banned
I wake up quite tired like I have not had a good nights sleep even though I have slept right through. The day time is pretty good I am more motivated to do things now like spring clean and walk more BUT by the time the soaps come on I am dropping tired, I am forcing myself to stay awake now am just uploading some pics from my phone ready to order prints. yawn.

I know motivation etc is a side affect but what about tiredness towards the end of the day and I am also more cold than usual?

Also I have noticed I am still getting hunger pangs, I mean real hunger pans, I never experienced these after day 3 on CD.

Coldness is normal and lots of people feel more cold in vlcd's. I imagine the tiredness is also your body getting used to working on less calories than your used to.

I get this - extreme lethargy, head fog, actual hunger pangs deep in my belly and some pain in my muscles.

I've always had it on a VLCD though - I'm unlucky and ketosis makes me feel pretty awful. I'm on week 7 at this point - and first few weeks it was fine...

See how you get on after a week or two, but don't force yourself if you feel absolutely dreadful.

Totally - I get all of these. The morning tiredness and fog sometimes I think is from sleeping too deeply for too long, so you're awake but you feel like you're still asleep - the zombie effect! And the afternoon tiredness - the evening before last I had to have a 90 minute nap when I got in from work, just couldn't keep my eyes open. Last night I was in bed by half 8! It comes and goes, so just as I will take full advantage of the slightly hyper times, I accept the tired times too and shut my eyes when I need to (obviously this can be embarrassing half way through a work day ;)).
The hunger pangs - I still do get hungry from time to time, but what I previously had as hunger I now find is trapped wind, so I can be starving one minute, then have a little tap on the chest, big man burp and the hunger is gone :)

Sounds like my typical day lol

Thanks guys. I don't feel alone now lol.

It defo is hunger pans my husband gives me a weird look.

I've been constantly tired and a bit miffed that I'm not bouncing with energy. I'm often asleep by 9:30! I don't get hunger too often but feel empty frequently. My biggest problem is a growling stomach in work meetings...very embarrassing

To be honest we really shouldn't be this starving. I certainly was not when I was doing cd and Atkins. I am really going to count the carbs in all my products I have daily and go from there.

How long have you been doing s&s? Takes about a week to settle.

I'm in week 3 now. I usually get in ketosis within 3 days. I did Atkins for a week before I started this plan and was well in ketosis. Don't understand it.

You should be in ketosis by then. Not gone off plan at all? Weighed protein meal if you had one?

Don't need to weigh my chicken as its 0 carb and if I went over it wouldn't knock me out of ketosis. My veg allowance I only have every other day when I have a chicken breast when I'm doing shifts or just as a treat its well under 200g maybe I need to completely not have any veg allowance just a cup of mushrooms or some lettuce see how that helps. Never had hunger pans like it lol.

In my opinion - Ketosis doesn't eliminate all hunger. After about week 3-4 - I did start to feel genuinely hungry (probably before body was running through the dregs of fast energy in muscles/liver/wherever and giving me the benefit of the doubt).

On Week 7 now, and I still am hungry every once in a while, but the difference is - I can ignore it better.

Hunger is a natural body "calling" for you to eat. If we didn't have this reflex we would die. Imagine if we were eating only meat (as Cavemen did in the winter) and they would get way less than they need per day - they would still get 'hunger' to tell them that it is not enough to survive.

It would be a pretty crappy body if it let us starve to death on 600-700 calories per day without telling us about it! :rolleyes: :p

So you do weigh the veg? Not really sure what's going on with you then. Like minerva said, don't think ketosis gets rid of hunger completely but it does reduce it drastically. Still rears it's ugly head every once in a while though!

Back