'It's not going to work unless you're hungry' - anyone else heard similar?!

Jennyonaplate

Gold Member
I was talking to my dad the other day about sw and he was adamant that no diet would work unless you were hungry all the time. I explained that it's about eating the right foods which will fill you up on few calories and he just wouldn't have it. Then he went on to say that the diet doesn't work in the long-term as i hadn't kept the weight off that I'd lost before- I pointef out it's because I hadn't followed the plan so it was my fault, not the plan's but he still wouldn't budge.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised as his idea of cutting down at meal times is to ration the carrots on the plate but still have the same.number of sausages!!!

Anyone else hear other frustrating comments about sw from other people?

Interesting point of view, huh?
I just grit my teeth at the usual 'you'll never lose weight eating all that pasta/rice/potato' etc; the baker's thinking I'm greedy cos I always have 2 eggs on my brown roll - but they puzzle over my slow but steady weight loss lol Oh, and of course, the 'I never eat after 6pm' thought - when I generally have my main meal between 8 and 10pm - and often snack on fruit right up to bedtime lol

Oh no! The dreaded comments from the relatives lol!

I have learned to bite my tongue and try not take it to heart.

When I told my Mum about Slimming World and the recipes I was planning on cooking the first thing she said was "oh no, you're going to put all that weight back on!"

xx

The bonkers thing is that my dad has done the diet before and lost loads of weight, so he can't deny it works - baffling!!!

:D lol Gotta love Dad-isms then!

My OH has a bee in his bonnet about pasta... I quote "only people running marathons should eat pasta" and "why so you want to eat flour and water? You're eating glue"

Infuriates me!

mongoosed said:
My OH has a bee in his bonnet about pasta... I quote "only people running marathons should eat pasta" and "why so you want to eat flour and water? You're eating glue"

Infuriates me!

Does he think Italy is full of runners?! Lol!!

My dad is usually the first one to be critical about my diet, but surprisingly he is actually fine about this!

The worst thing I ever did in his eye was become a vegetarian (I was one for 4 years, but am not anymore) - anytime anything was wrong with me, be it a headache or a sniffle, he blamed it on the fact that I wasn't eating any meat!

My dad is usually the first one to be critical about my diet, but surprisingly he is actually fine about this!

The worst thing I ever did in his eye was become a vegetarian (I was one for 4 years, but am not anymore) - anytime anything was wrong with me, be it a headache or a sniffle, he blamed it on the fact that I wasn't eating any meat!

You just reminded me of my ex! My little girl was a vegetarian from birth until she was about 6. She didn't get her first tooth until she was 14 months old, which is weird but not uncommon but of course it was because she was a vegetarian according to the ex, lol.

With regards to Slimming World...I haven't really had any comments. The BF in the past used to go on saying I should cut down my portion size, which I refused to agree with, but I have actually cut it down this time and am doing fine.
My family are really supportive and they can see the weight is coming off so there's not much to critique yet.

My grandad is terrible, he'll ask what I'm having for tea and if I say, for example, chips, he'll say "You'll get fat eating those!". I try to explain that chips are just potatoes, it's the method of cooking that makes them fatty and I make mine in the oven without oil, but he's stubborn as a mule. Chips are fattening and that's that. Cheese is another one: even if I tell him I only eat a measured amount of low-fat cheese in a day he's determined it will make me fat. Likewise fizzy drinks, whether or not they're diet apparently. And yet he always eats ready meals with puds after, something I hardly ever do!

The work colleagues! I've had similar comments because I had 2 lunches one day (portion of free homemade veggie soup, followed by a sandwich of ham salad (HexB bread) and synned crisps).

I don't mind people asking if they're curious and want to know more. It's the rude ones that get me. The "I thought you were on a diet" comments and the snide "Should you be eating that?".

What I put in my mouth is no business of theirs! My sister used to have someone at work who would sit with a piddly little salad, and watch my sister eat chips. She'd always say "I wish I could eat chips", like chip eating was banned for her or something! I hate when people say they wish they could eat something becuase they can eat whatever they want! It's restrictions they put on themselves!

It makes me angry! Sometimes it's these comments that make me wish I hadn't said anything about following a food plan. They think they're supporting you by watching you eat but it's so demotivating!

We have a food police officer in our office, and she can be v infuriating to say the least! Anything other than fruit or yogurt seems to warrant a snidy comment but I have given up replying, just smile sweetly at her as she moves onto her next victim!

We have a food police officer in our office, and she can be v infuriating to say the least! Anything other than fruit or yogurt seems to warrant a snidy comment but I have given up replying, just smile sweetly at her as she moves onto her next victim!

Ha ha! That's what I started doing! Especially sat there with a portion of leftover lasagne and some salad, and I get asked "I thought you were on a diet..." I love saying now "Well yes, I am. And I can eat as much of this as I want!"

Or when we discuss what's for tea and I say sausage, egg, tomatoes, mushrooms and maybe a bit of toast... They always give that look but there's nothing better than smiling and knowing that you're actually losing weight while they think you're going to be putting it on!

Never feel guilty for eating real food!!! :)

I know how you feel!

I ate a mullerlight, a skinny extra light traingle, jacket potato, carrots with extra low cottage cheese and a few quorn sausages.. all before 3pm and I was told I eat far to much to loose any weight!

Ive only been on the diet for a few days sometimes I worry I will put weight on!

i think everyone who doesnt understand SW thinks all diets are limited and 'cant have this' or 'cant have that' - its just the old school mindset based around calorie counting i guess!

I love SW and happily melt my cheese onto my lunch most days - wafting the smell round the office and then report my losses on a Friday to confused faces!!! :D xxx

Yes, it is infuriating, but when you stick with it and those people are amazed at your losses it feels brilliant... I too love wolfing down a load of pasta or low fat cheese or syn free chips or synned crisps/choc and diet fizz to confused faces, and the odd comment "are you still Slimming?"...

We will have the last laugh... so many people have taken me to one side recently to ask what my secret is!! THERE IS NO SECRET! SW WORKS!

He he xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Most of the people dishing out the advice haven't got a clue - even now i still get the odd "you should do this" type of comment.

I just point at my 70lb loss and say well something is working.

I never knew there were so many qualifiet dietician/nutritionalists out tere. They all eat crisps, biscuits and full fat coke and sit beside me.

Bizarre eh?

Keep the faith!

Steve

Back