It's Now Or Never

Hi Jules, thanks for that. I feel a little less stodgy today, So maybe over the weekend as I keep well within my syns I'll keep feeling better. No I don't have any SW recipe books, but I have a few old WW ones for general low fat ideas. I also registered on the SW lifeline site, do will look there when doing my weekly plan this evening. Really enjoying training my brain to think differently though and try different ideas out. :)

I have found the best recipes in "Cook yourself Thin" - of course not officially Slimming World but as they're light recipes anyway a lot of them are super low syn and / or can be easily adapted. I got my copy second hand for literally pence from Amazon Used and New section.

Cool Jules, I may check that out.
Seems I have to work again this weekend, but I'm hoping to limit if to a couple of hours. Want to go swimming tomorrow, followed by jacuzzi, steam room and eyebrow wax. I'll work after that. :)

Tonight will be a prob as I'm babysitter at my sisters and have Bo food for a meal! It was last minute change of plan. Bums!

Day 4: 21st January

The one good thing about work being so blimin hectic right now, is that I don't have time to think about all the rubbish I used to shove down my throat. I have eaten loads today, but never felt over stuffed, and can definitely tell the difference where I am filling up on healthy food rather than greasy, fatty, sweet junk. You can actually feel it internally can't you? So hopefully that translates and it is doing me some good. I feel a little better. This is also the 21st day without a drink (I decided to can it this year, bike racing weekends aside).

So my food then.....

Breakfast: grapes, branflakes (HEb), shape yoghurt (after all my worries, the grapes actually worked really well for me)
Snack: apple
Lunch: couscous, roasted vegetables, 2 quorn sausages sliced and fried in fry light, banana and 2 clementines
Afternoon Snack: apple and banana, green beans
Dinner: 2 potatoes (in microwave) with a can of baked beans, 1 apple
Throughout the day cups of tea with skimmed/semi-skimmed milk (HEa)

As you can tell I like my snacks. I bought some fruit yesterday so I had something to snack on at work. I find for me that I really like bananas after a meal, it's my chocolate alternative (or when at work my hazelnut latte and chocolate chip cookie alternative). When I go shopping tomorrow, I will try and get more green beans, and also more green salady stuff. I don't think I've had enough veggies.

Am babysitting tonight (hence the jacket spuds and beans) so am going to sit down and plan my food out for the next week ready for the shop tomorrow. Need to work in the morning unfortunately, though I'm hoping I can limit it to a couple of hours and get it out of the way, before I shoot off for a swim, jacuzzi, steam room and then my eyebrow wax. I can then do my shop and have a nice relaxing weekend. Will also make a point of doing something active with my son on Sunday. Can't head too far from home as I'm on call, but at the very least we can take a walk through the local country park!

So I believe today was a syn free day (determined to make up for the banana faux pas) - which is great. Off to plan my weekly food shop - have a great Friday evening slimmers!

:)

P. xxx

You're doing all the right things that are needed for a successful Slimming World journey! Eating plenty of fruit and planning ahead! Great.

The only thing I can criticise is... Stop worrying about the banana boo boo!

Have fun babysitting!

How did your menu planning go? Did you find some yummy recipes? My friend sent me a message on Facebook to tell me that this month's issue of BBC Good Food magazine is full of amazing healthy recipes this month.

Well I planned but without recipe books. I ended up spending a small fortune in Sainsburys, so hopefully there's enough to go into next week too. I got the slimming world mag while out, do maybe that will give me ideas. I'm feeling very adventurous at the moment. :) Thanks for asking :) x

Well the weekend is nearly over - so I had better write my food up. I've been very good in that I've had just 3.5 syns all weekend. Which wasn't intentional, I was just full up so didn't feel the need to eat anymore. I know I should be eating more, but I really didn't want to, I was full and comfortable. And psychologically that seemed more important than eating syns just to do the min 5 per day recommendation.
Another point where I didn't follow the diet so well this weekend was the HEb - the fibrous stuff. I missed my usual cereal based breakfast as I'd run out of fruit (can't do milk and cereal, apart from porridge) - so I just had a banana and apple whilst sitting in bed working for 4 hours lol
I did do my weeks shop, as I've already said. It was HUGE! Cost me £84 before staff discount. Thank god for my staff discount is all I can say. That said, I really think I overdid it, so hopefully I will quite a small shop next weekend to make up for it. I just hope I don't go over my overdraft before pay day on Friday (yes money is a bit stressful atm - that is something else I'm trying to reduce this year; my debt!).
So cut a long story short, I didn't have my HEb yesterday, and today I am going to nick one of the kids multigrain Dr wotsit pitta breads and have that as my HEb. Probably strictly speaking I shouldn't, but given I've had very few syns I'm not going to worry too much. I am regarding this week also as my experimental week - sussing it all out. Obviously the scales will tell the real story, but I think I've mostly stuck to it. I definitely need to up my supergreens. I eat a lot of fruit, but seem to be not eating enough veg. That is fine, I can rectify that.

So my food.

Day 5 - Saturday 22nd January
Breakfast: banana and apple
Lunch/snack: apple
Tea: apple, supernoodles (3.5 syns)
Dinner: savoury rice, chicken, frylight, paprika, green beans, with a banana and clementine for afters.
Throughout the day I drank tea with skimmed milk (HEa)
Total syns today: 3.5
Total syns for week: 43

Day 6: Sunday 23rd January
Breakfast: big cooked breakfast - 3 quorn sausages, baked beans, fry light, egg, 4 rashers back bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes. Clementine afterwards (needed something sweet).
Lunch: 1.5 eggs, potato, frylight, garlic and seasoning, onions, baby leaf salad (tortilla & salad). Clementine for afters.
Tea: chicken tikka: chicken breast, fat free natural yoghurt, lemon juice, spices, fat free fromage frais, basmati rice. Dr thingummy multigrain pitta bread (HEb).
Cups of tea throughout day (this is my new addiction) - using skimmed milk (HEa).
I will no doubt have some more fruit later - perhaps a banana or apple.
Total syns for day: 0
Total syns for week: 43

I have had problems with indigestion this weekend - I do have IBS, but it usually only flares up these days in the from of very bad indigestion when I eat too much rubbish. So I'm surprised it's flaring up now. Maybe it's the fruit, but to be honest - that's not really much more than my usual amount, I normally eat a lot of fruit with no particular side effects. We shall see, I think I'll be sleeping with the hot water bottle again tonight thought.

I didn't get any exercise done this weekend. That is something I really need to redress. Hopefully I will get time for a swim tomorrow. I do 2 1/2 days working at home a week and I used to go for a swim once I'd done my hours and before I collected the bairn from school. I've got into the habit of working through though and not going swimming. So a habit there to change. Also my son wanted a pyjama day today (he does have a very hectic life, so I let him every so often) - as a result, we didn't go walking anywhere or out to the park. I'm going to teach him how to fix his puncture next Sunday though, so I'm hoping the weather is ripe for a bit of cycling.

Anyway, I must go cook the chicken tikka now - apparently his lordship (that would be my son) is "hungry starving". A woman's work is never done and all that!

Toodlepip slimmers! :) xx

p.s. weigh in tomorrow evening - I'm really nervous!!!!!

Last edited:
Oh dear - hope you're feeling better soon xx

I know what you mean about shopping being expensive, I have spent nearly £100 in the past 2 weeks, which I really can't afford... I don't want to have to eat less fruit because of the cost!! I already have a freezer full of meat and vegetables, I really don't have space for frozen fruit as well!

Debt is something I too, am trying to really address this year. 2011 is the year when I regain control!!! xxx

Hello!! Sounds like you've had a good weekend! Your food looks great.

Two things: 1) if you're anything like me the shopping will get cheaper. When I first started I was buying loads and loads and my fridge was bursting but now I just sort of know better what I need and what I don't.

2) again if you're anything like me you'll find eating your HEs a lot easier once you get more used to the plan. Before SW I used to avoid bread, cereals and cheeses and only drank the odd drop of milk in teas and things so really struggled to introduce it in. Now I really cant wait for my HE!

Maybe you could get some Alpen light bars (they are yummy) or if you go to class some Hi Fi bars. I love the hi Fi bars!!!!!!!

Oh and ditto on the cash side of things. My pay day was on the 15th and I'm already skint again. I don't have much debt really but I'm supposed to be saving for s house and I "owe" my ISA like £600 from Christmas!!!! Eek!!!

When's your weigh in?xxx

Thanks girls. Yes I was thinking over the weekend that I could have done with getting some cereal bars for days where I don't have cereal. I don't have bread in the house - my son prefers wraps in his packed lunch.

Thank god I get paid this Friday. I am so determined to be good and get it all sorted this year. I promised my son I'd take him to Florida next year, so need to pay off debts asap so I can start saving for that (when I promised it, I started putting £100 by a month towards it - I've had to stop doing that, and spent the money I had saved too). All a bit rubbish and pathetic - but I know it is a whole bunch of stress, that were I just a little more careful with money, I needn't have been in this mess. I have even told the bairn that we will have to start walking to the childminders (what a joy that will be at 06:30 in the morning) as I can't afford the petrol! lol

So yeah - frugal year ahead. Cut off the flab, shed the debt and knocked booze on the head too.

Didn't get to sleep till 3 this morning so am a wee bit tired today. Am home working at least, and my tummy seems to have sorted itself out (think the hottie helped).

My weigh in is at 7pm this evening. Eeekkkkk!!! :eek:

Good luck for your WI, I'm sure you will be fine! xx

I'm trying to save hard this year too so we can have a frugal year together and just think yes it might be miserable walking to he childminders now but think as spring approaches it'll be a lovely walk and it's body magic for you and the kids too :)

Cheers.

Well thanks all for your support in my first week - it really has been helpful, and it's much appreciated. Far more helpful than my group - so big pat on the back to everyone who makes this forum what it is.

Anyhoo, my food today:

Day 7 - Monday January 24th
Breakfast: mixed frozen fruit (defrosted), branflakes (HEb), shape yoghurt.
Morning snack: apple and banana
Late lunch: savoury rice, large handful of green beans, 2/3 of a can of mixed pulses stirred in. Clementine.
Tea: jambalaya with salmon. Was lovely!
Probably have a clementine in a while.
350ml skimmed milk in tea throughout the day. (HEa)
Total Syns for day: 0
Total Syns for week: 43

I made a point of getting on with my work this morning, and only doing an hour over my time. That is an improvement for me. I got a lot achieved though - including an ongoing argument via email with my project manager, who quite frankly is really getting on my tits right now. Arrghhhh!!!!!

Anyhooo! ;-) I think I may have over stodged it today - 2 rice based dishes. By tea time, I had one serving, reasonably good size but nowhere near as huge a portion as I would have had in the past, and that did me. Felt full - in fact so full I still felt full 2 hours later at weigh in.

Looking back on the week, I really think I need to work in more greens. What definitely worked was trying some new and different recipes and trying to make sure I have something different each day.
That said, I realise did a batch of cooking earlier (well, roast veggies and couscous whilst I was jambalaying) - and will end up with 3 lunches this week that are all veggie and couscous based. So something to watch. Variety is the spice of life and all that. I will try and mix different things in with each one. I.e. pulses one day, quorn sausage the next - shall have to think of something for the other day.
I have taken a meal out of the freezer to defrost ready for tomorrow night - and mine and the bairns lunches are all fixed up for tomorrow (oh and my breakfast). So I'm an organised woman.

Just got to get those greens and the variety in - those are my lessons for the week. :D

Oh and I weighed in too - managed to lose 5lb in my first week. Not sure how I feel - I know I should be pleased, but a little part of me also felt 'oh god, we're back on this journey again, and you've got such a long way to go, it will be a long journey'. Probably just tiredness (this is what happens when you sit up till 3 watching old toot on the box). I am pleased really - I wanted to lose 1/2 stone in January - so 5lbs in my first week is excellent. If I can acheive 2 lbs next week, I'll have achieved my goal.

So yeah - sod it - I'm happy! :) Yay me! lol (If anyone reads this, I would forgive them for thinking I suffer from pschizophrenia - I don't, I guess I just use this to think aloud, and this particular thought process involved trying to change my attitude to what is really a good weight loss).

So I'll stop talking to myself now - first sign of madness and all that.

Have fun all! Early night for me - up for work before 6.

P. xx

Back