January Challenge!

Also was wondering if anyone on here nets 1200 calories to loose 2lb a week but always looses less. X

Wowsers wirralmum, that's one big loss!!!

If you want to add me as a friend on MFP, my username is "snakesandladders2". May I ask how big a loss you're going for per week on MFP? I only ask because I get 1450 cals allotted for a 1lbs loss per week, and 1200 for a 2lbs loss.

Thanks for the response, Snake, and the words of encouragement! I will go over to MFP and add you now :)

I'm going for 2lb per week loss and was allotted 1280 cals. I've had a good loss but you've got to bear in mind a) It's my first week, and b) I've got a lot to lose :eek: I calculated I was eating at least 3000 cals per day (and doing no exercise) so it's a big change for my body - and it's responding!

Last edited:
Also was wondering if anyone on here nets 1200 calories to loose 2lb a week but always looses less. X

I definitely found that when I was doing 1200 previously! I think maybe MFP only ever goes as low as 1200 for health reasons, but it might not be quite the right number for a 2lbs loss?

I'm just thinking this:
- you need to burn 3500 per week to burn one lbs, so that's 7000 if you want to lose 2 lbs.
- that translates into a 1000 calorie deficit PER DAY if you want to lose 2 lbs a week.
- For someone whose metabolic base rate is 1900 cals (mine is), you'd have to eat 900 calories per day, which is obviously not healthy.

This could be why 1200 doesn't quite cut the mustard?

Although there are a number of important caveats to this calculation:

- Your BMR will be higher if you're heavier or have more muscle, or are more active;
- The less you eat, the lower your metabolism can become, so there is such a think as eating too little. For example, I wasn't losing nearly as quickly on 1200 as on 1450 - even though I'm eating more. My little arithmetic thing doesn't explain that at all.

Hm...confusing! :confused:

Anyway, I've lost another pound (I deserve it after hitting the gym/running shoes most days!), so here goes:

Bostik: 4lbs (0lbs down, 4lbs to go)
Donzy84: 7lbs (s down, 7lbs to go)
Carolineg: 8lbs (0lbs down, 8lbs to go)
Alex: 6lbs (0lbs down, 6lbs to go)
Betterforever: 7lbs (0lbs down, 7lbs to go)
xCherryKx: 4lbs (0lbs down, 4lbs to go)
Squeezyweezy: 7lbs (0lbs down, 7lbs to go)
Scottish Bride: 5lbs (3lbs down, 2 to go)
Xsarahx: 6lbs (2lb down, 4 to go)
Nimulas: 6lbs (0lbs down, 6 to go)
Mom2Ben: 6lbs (0lbs down, 6 to go)
.Nicki.: 10lbs (0lbs down, 10 to go)
polly_pepper: 8lbs (0lbs down, 8 to go)
Shoebedoo: 15lbs (0lbs down, 15 to go)
Samprand: 7lbs (0lbs down, 7 to go)
Babybear: 10lb (0lbs down, 10 to go)
Tiaratara: 4lb (0lbs down, 4 to go)
emmie83: 7lbs (0lbs down 7 to go)
wirralmum: 8lbs (6lbs down 2 to go)
Shazzabir: 6lbs (0lbs down 6 to go)
Snakes: 6lbs (5lbs down 1 to go)
Channy: 8lbs (0lbs down 8 to go)
Catherine_UK: 4lbs (0lbs 4to go)
Moo21: 7lbs (0lbs down 7 to go)
Sarahandmolly: 7lbs (0lbs down, 7lbs to go)
caldil : 4lbs (0lbs down 4lbs to go)
k-nine : 12lbs (0lbs down, 12lbs to go)
Candyflee: 4lb (0lbs down, 4lbs to go)

I think like you said mfp doesn't like you going below 1200. Have you checked to make sure your settings are right? There is a section about
1) what activity level you are at? I.e sedentary
2)how much exercise you intend to do in a week?

Do you have that set right?

Mine always goes to 1200 but I've changed that as I personally don't think that's high enough. I've worked my BMR out to be 1862 and then took 500 off that so working to 1362 a day.

Obviously it might not work yet cos I haven't weighed in! The point I'm getting at is as agreed above is that sometimes u do have to eat more to lose more!!

Well done again to everyone for their losses. I'm dreading Sunday WI!!! :-(

X

1.2lbs down for me this week :D

Bostik: 4lbs (1.2lbs down, 2.8lbs to go)
Shazzabir: 6lbs (0lbs down 6 to go)
Snakes: 6lbs (5lbs down 1 to go)
Candyflee: 4lb (0lbs down, 4lbs to go)

So far I've gained 3lbs since Monday :mad: with my settings at 1,400 so I've switched back to just under the 1,200 mark. I know this is against current medical guidelines etc. but any higher than that and I struggle to lose anything (with a start weight of 20 stone and a pre-diet daily food intake that would make your eyes water). MFP will allow you to set your calories to whatever you want them to be but again anything under 1,200 is against current medical advice/thinking so it's up to you. I have PCOS so am under the care of a doctor anyway and all my weight loss is done in consultation with them :)

I've just worked out my bmr which is 2059. I think I might try and be brave and increase them a little higher than my usual 1200 to see if it makes a difference. For the past 6 weeks I have kept to 1200 a day and lost 6lb but I'm thinking I've still got nearly 2 stone to go till target and once I come to a stand still won't have anything to play around with. X

So far I've gained 3lbs since Monday :mad: with my settings at 1,400 so I've switched back to just under the 1,200 mark. I know this is against current medical guidelines etc. but any higher than that and I struggle to lose anything (with a start weight of 20 stone and a pre-diet daily food intake that would make your eyes water). MFP will allow you to set your calories to whatever you want them to be but again anything under 1,200 is against current medical advice/thinking so it's up to you. I have PCOS so am under the care of a doctor anyway and all my weight loss is done in consultation with them :)

At 1400 calories, you can't not lose weight scientifically. Your BMR at 5ft 4 and weight 251 is just over 1900 calories. That means if you laid in bed all day and did absolutely nothing, you'd burn 1900 calories. I understand that you have PCOS and so that makes it easy to gain weight but I'm not so sure that being under 1200 calories when you're still a fairly high weight is such a good idea as you have a fair way to go, as do I, and that's a huge calorie deficit. Maybe you put on 3lbs because your body has got used to having too low an amount of calories and has slowed your metabolism down? Going from a high calorie diet straight down to 1200 is enough to send anyone's body into confusion. You've said that you're under the care of your doctor so I know you're not just doing what you want willy nilly but I'm just saying it out of care and concern, please be careful that you don't burn out hun.

I've just worked out my bmr which is 2059. I think I might try and be brave and increase them a little higher than my usual 1200 to see if it makes a difference. For the past 6 weeks I have kept to 1200 a day and lost 6lb but I'm thinking I've still got nearly 2 stone to go till target and once I come to a stand still won't have anything to play around with. X

As strange as it sounds, sometimes you do need to up your calories a little to give your metabolism a bit of a boost so give it a try and see how it goes. That very reason of having nowhere to go if you come to a standstill is why I decided against 1200 for be personally, I try to aim for 1350-1400.

Great idea! Try 1400-1500 for a week and see how you get on! Obviously the quality of calories also has an effect - if you eat more protein and "good oil" (don't cut out fat - you need it!), and replace white carbs with wholemeal, it should fall off of you!

xxx

We can compare diaries on MFP if you're on it?

I know that when I went down to 1200 cals for 2 weeks I lost absolutley nothing. I wanted to boost my weight loss to hit a mini target I had set myself, but I failed miserabley. The mionute I upped my cald to 1500 I started loosing again. I know it doesn't make any sense in our heads, but my body responded really well to the extra cals. I also find eating throughout the day helps, ie snacking. If I don't have ny little snacks my body doesn't seem to work properly. :)

At 1400 calories, you can't not lose weight scientifically. Your BMR at 5ft 4 and weight 251 is just over 1900 calories. That means if you laid in bed all day and did absolutely nothing, you'd burn 1900 calories. I understand that you have PCOS and so that makes it easy to gain weight but I'm not so sure that being under 1200 calories when you're still a fairly high weight is such a good idea as you have a fair way to go, as do I, and that's a huge calorie deficit. Maybe you put on 3lbs because your body has got used to having too low an amount of calories and has slowed your metabolism down? Going from a high calorie diet straight down to 1200 is enough to send anyone's body into confusion. You've said that you're under the care of your doctor so I know you're not just doing what you want willy nilly but I'm just saying it out of care and concern, please be careful that you don't burn out hun.

Perhaps it would have corrected itself in a week or two but I increased the limit to 1,400 just for the sake of it I guess without consulting my doctor (going off-plan isn't always the best idea!). As I said my diet is under medical advice and supervision and I'm by no means advocating that people just decide on a whim to drop below 1,200 to see if it works for them (we all know from googling just how 'not' recommended it is!) because there are so many health implications in the mix that going it alone on less than 1,200 would be a bad decision.

Different things work for different people and once you're over the 1,200 calories per day (except on VLCDs or under medical supervision) it's about finding the right calorie number that suits your needs/goals and keeps you healthy :)

Perhaps it would have corrected itself in a week or two but I increased the limit to 1,400 just for the sake of it I guess without consulting my doctor (going off-plan isn't always the best idea!). As I said my diet is under medical advice and supervision and I'm by no means advocating that people just decide on a whim to drop below 1,200 to see if it works for them (we all know from googling just how 'not' recommended it is!) because there are so many health implications in the mix that going it alone on less than 1,200 would be a bad decision.

Different things work for different people and once you're over the 1,200 calories per day (except on VLCDs or under medical supervision) it's about finding the right calorie number that suits your needs/goals and keeps you healthy :)

Excellent point! In the end, nobody really knows what goes on inside our cells - all we can do is infer stuff based on a number shown on our scales. It's all trial and error, isn't it?

Good luck everyone!

Snakes x

PS: I'm really, really hungry today!!!!!

3lb down for me :)

Bostik: 4lbs (0lbs down, 4lbs to go)
Shazzabir: 6lbs (3lbs down 6 to go)
Snakes: 6lbs (4lbs down 2 to go)
Candyflee: 4lbs (0lbs down 4lbs to go)

Brilliant! But think you copied the wrong one so adding mine back on lol

Ive lost 3lbs so ive changed my target from 6 to 7lbs

Alex: 7lbs (3lbs down, 4lbs to go)

Hi everyone, I've lost 2 pounds :)

Mom2Ben: 6lbs (2lbs down, 4 to go)

Wow well done everyone - you are all doing really well!

Ive managed to stay on plan - its only day 4 so if I hadnt Id be really upset with meself :D

Not weighing till Tuesday but not looking forward to weekend and maybe going a bit :eek: Ive planned my food diary but just hope I stick to it - being at home its all too easy to just poke my head in the biscuit tin (which wouldnt be here if it wasnt for dh sweet tooth grr lol)

Snakes - hope you managed to get through the day and the hunger subsided.

Stay on track everyone (yeah i must remind myself of that :D)

BB x

Wow well done everyone - you are all doing really well!

Ive managed to stay on plan - its only day 4 so if I hadnt Id be really upset with meself :D

Not weighing till Tuesday but not looking forward to weekend and maybe going a bit :eek: Ive planned my food diary but just hope I stick to it - being at home its all too easy to just poke my head in the biscuit tin (which wouldnt be here if it wasnt for dh sweet tooth grr lol)

Snakes - hope you managed to get through the day and the hunger subsided.

Stay on track everyone (yeah i must remind myself of that :D)

BB x

Baby Bear, of course you'll stick to it! Just don't even allow yourself to doubt it! I watched a Derren Brown programme on "negative suggestion" and I thought it was really powerful. It was all about how when you think stuff like "DON'T do xyz", it makes you more likely to do it. Makes me think about my food attitudes!

I decided if I'm so hungry, it's probably for a reason. I've been sticking to a net of 1400 ish for a week and working out hard every day, so I thought I'd give myself an "all-you-can-eat" day.

The idea is to boost my metabolism right back up to the top, so I can eat up to a net of 2200 or something - although that would be a lot, because I did Body Attack today and some other activity, burning at least 500.

The rules of "all-you-can-eat" are that I have to provide my body with the nutrients it wants. This does NOT include biscuits, chocolate or deep-fried stuff! So I can eat as much as I want AS LONG as it's on plan. No "treats". I haven't done this before, and hadn't realised how difficult it is to eat lots of calories if you only eat healthy food!!! I'll record my foods in my diary (it was all lush!), don't want to hijack this thread, but you're more than welcome to keep me company over there!

Suffice to say that I've only managed between 1750-1800 net all day and I haven't stopped eating! I'm so full. But hopefully it'll provide me with plenty of food for tomorrow's double exercise class :)

Good luck everyone who's weighing in today!

xxx

Only 1/2lb for me this week but only been on plan for 4 days so pleased with that xxx

Donzy84: 7lbs (0.5lbs down,6.5lbs to go)
Mom2Ben: 6lbs (2lbs down, 4 to go)

Back