Jezebella's Journal

hi jez
its great being inventive at the start of RTM - then i got really frustrated as i wanted to add in stuff i couldn't!

enjoy the challenge!
daisy x

Hey Jez :)
I enjoyed reading this, and you are doing brilliantly so far! I love the details you go into.
I guess I must comment on the 'head stuff'... Realistically those thoughts: "What else can I have?", or "Go on, another piece won't hurt" ... they won't go away. Yes, they will only get stronger. They are the sort of things that will be in place for a very long time, but I'm glad you've brought it up now, and are recognising those thoughts on a conscious level. Because, think back a few months Pre-LL. You'd have your meal, and then you'd still FEEL a little peckish and maybe go to the cupboard have a scout around. ... yes? That was that exact thought, but on a subconscious level. That is what made us all get the way we were pre-LL.
So, Well Done on recongising that. :) This is all positive, don't be scared of the thoughts, embrace them. Document them and explore them.

What next you say? Next, we start applying logic and the counselling we received. For now, your daily consumption is the top limit of how much your body can handle after a VLCD: so there is no room for extra. Follow it to the dot (some weeks WILL be painful because the additions are so slow, but bare with it. There is method in the madness.).
Tell yourself: What you have on your plate is all you're gonna get. Make a conscious decision of it.
Next, the "What else can I have?" after the meal feeling. Well, that is something that you, yourself need to address and find mechanisms for tackling. I've had to experiment, and have found ways which work.
1st of all: I tell myself that minutes after a meal, there is absolutely no reason for me to still be hungry. I actually remember the TIME on the clock of when I finished my last morsel; and if I'm hungry within 3 hours of that time, then it's NOT REAL HUNGER. It's my head screwing around.
2nd of all: Don't feel guilty about taking your time over your food. I enjoy it, and savour every bite. My boyfriend gets very annoyed that I still take about 45 minutes to eat every meal I have. And I finished my RTM back on the 1st June! I mean, where are we rushing? Savour the meal. The longer you take to eat, the more effective the food. Chewing it properly, the delectible flavours, and most of all: it takes 30 minutes for the stomach to actually realise that it's full. I must say, I enjoy the fact that my stomach doesn't hurt anymore because it's full to bursting point!
3rd of all: If I do have an over-whelming desire to have something else after a meal: it's usually because of the lingering tastes and sensations left in the mouth. What you do, is break it. Either have a coffee or tea, or even some plain old minty chewing gum! Chewing gum is a saviour in my case, because my demon is the need to always chew something! :)

4th point which is worth mentioning: The emotional side. If you get a 'hunger' pang for something specific, such as you actually suddenly feel hungry with one food in mind (be it chocolate, bread, whatever) then it's not real. Real hunger never concerns itself with what you want to eat...! Plus; you will need to start addressing as to why you felt that way. What caused it? I know a lot of my emotional hunger is caused by restlessness (waiting for something), loneliness and boredom. You will slowly discover your triggers too by being aware!

On another note, if you do someday decide to visit the Westfield centre for some lovely new garments, I'd be happy to come and meet up. :) I'm not in need of clothes at the moment (being a poor student and all!), but I'd be delighted to come and have some healthy walking around, offer some advice and maybe even have a salad lunch from an awesome Salad Bar there! You can choose exactly what goes in it and how it's served! Perhaps a little further down your RTM journey it'll be an interesting place to go. :D

Last edited:
Min

Thank you so much for you ever useful advice :) Really appreciate it. It all just seems like a bit of a head spin right now. Slowly, slowly getting there. Just worrying now about the new introductions. And I know I sound like I am whining and moaning a lot, but I am in reality really excited about everything I am eating and the tastes and flavours. Weirdly excited about yoghurt and jelly, not something I would have ever got excited about as a chef prior to LL. Muller light is sounding delicious right now.

I will absolutely head to westfield sometime in october, so will pm you in plenty of time so we can see if we can hook up for a salad and some retail looking, not sure how much shopping the budget is able to contain currently :)

Jez
xx

Day 7 RTM

Some serious calorie burning done today! Cannot wait to get back to London in some ways, because then I can finally head to the pool and get my excercise programme well and truly under way. Never thought the day would come where I would 1) want to wear a swimming cozzie again or 2) wear it infront of another living soul!!! Am enjoying all the walking I have been doing whilst on holiday and maide a point of doing a mile or 2 each day while away. Today was the grand moving of the furniture for my folks, and omg, time and effort and fatu burning!! Four hours later, lots of pushing and shunting it was finally done. Very please with the result for them and so happy to have been able to help.

Shopping bug bit me again today and I found yet more fantastic, lovely, wonderful things in the charity shop. Someone was obviously unhappy with Next, because I got loads of brand new things with lables still on for a fraction of the price. Also the most amazing Linea dress for evening wear brand new too!!! A suit from per Una which is gorgeous. You really cannot believe how much people throw away that is new. It does feel great knowing I have given my old clothes away and they will be sold on and someone will love them, and now I am receiving the same in reverse.

Food wise it has been a great day. Black coffee this morning and one at about 10am. A delish veg soup pack at 12:30pm because I was absolutely freezing!!! Cannot understand why I am still feeling the cold so very badly, I guess less fat to keep me warm?? My feet have not been warm all day. 5pm a tomato soup with loads of tabasco - I swear I am hooked on the stuff. 8 this evening we had trio of smoked fish!! Woohoo, tiny bit of smoked salmon, some hot smoked salmon and a little bit of smoked peppered mackrel with lovely leaves and slivvers of celery. Two 2tsp of cottage cheese (fat free) with a little horseradish and some lovely balsamic vinegar. Really enjoyed it. Am getting more used to the slow eating and feel I am paying more attention to my food. Going to have a hot vanilla later just before bed.

Tomorrow the introduction of new things. So did a little shopping this morning and stocked up on some bits and bobs, am planning on a fennel, cucumber and dill salad, marinated in lemon juice with some sea salt and cracked pepper. Topping this off with some smoked chicken.

Can you experienced RTMers let me know about the snacks. I will only get to my first RTM Class on Tuesday evening, so have just been following what it says in the book and what what I have learnt from you guys. Should the snack be veg based or should it be a yoghurt, any specific time you should have the snack, can you split the snack??? Not sure how I will fit in more food, but obviously have to do it. Tomorrow will log on to food focus, so I can start an accurate log of my calorie intake. Decided to leave it for this first week as I knew I would not have internet access too frequently.

Well, another long drive tomorrow, back to London. Home is lovely, but oh how I wish home could be somewhere slightly less busy sometimes. A change of pace really does me good and I feel I have more time for myself. Am allowed the diet drinks tomorrow so might try some and see how it goes. Really rather happy with the water flavourings though, still would be good to be able to order a slimline tonic in a pub and pretend it was a real g&t!!!

TTFN

Jez, I am so proud of you and I have felt myself getting really emotional with excitement reading you blogs!

Kat xx

Hi Jez,

I have loved reading your journey so far. I am starting RTM on Thursday so am excited and scared at the same time! Have started a journal like you so that maybe I can distract myself and get some support at the same time! You are doing brilliantly, and I hope I can reach a level of success close to yours :)

Jesss xxx

Jez, reading these posts is making me more excited for Friday! I can't wait but also really quite scared at the same time! Keep posting interesting recipes as I am feeling stuck after all this time for what to cook!

I would treat 'diet drinks' such as Diet Coke/Pepsi/Fanta and what-not with caution. The acids in them in congestion with your own stomach acids may cause you to feel more hungry than you should be - especially while you're still on 3 foodpacks per day rather than much further down the line when more snacks are allowed.
So have them as a treat for now, on those special social occasions! :)
As for snacks, in Week 2; I'd stick with 1 pot of Muller Light / or Pot of Jelly to begin with per day, but it truly does depend on the individual. Some people liked to have more, personally I still try to keep my snacking down to a minimum, it's not a habit I'm keen to restart any time soon.

:)

Snacks can be anything though! About 100 calories probably tops for now, can be a bunch of carrot/cucumber sticks perhaps with some low-fat dip? (such as Extra Light Philadelphia, or dollops of passata with mixed spices/herbs/tobasco?), or plain yoghurt with Fruits of Forest mixed in? Or S/f jelly, or Muller, or ... lol. be creative, and inventive!

Last edited:
RTM Day 8 (Week 2)

Arrrrrgh !! (no, it's not Pirate speak day again, but the gremlins have invaded my pc!! had just typed the whole bloggy bit out and boom, quick drop in connection and it is gone)

So back to the beginning.

Food intake today as follows:

Early start because we were driving back to London, so a cup of tea with about 30ml skimmed milk. I am trying to stick to mostly black coffee but black tea I really battle with - only had 2 cups in abstinence as the tannin was too much for me. Left my folks place at 9am and headed for Skipton where I had to pick up some bits from a cake decorating shop. Got on the road back to London at 10am black coffee in hand. Just out of Skipton was desperate for a piddle - back teeth practically floating, luckily 60 damn miles later we found one.
(lesson to self, do not drink too much coffee before long drive!) Decided to be bold and try a coke zero, so got one at the services for my sister and I to share. BL and Min you are so right about this stuff. The first sip was so incredibly sweet it physically made my mouth water. Had to drink water for a while after that just to get my mouth feeling normal again. We shared the bottled alternating with water over the rest of the journey home and it was pleasant and unpleasant in stages. I can see how it is addictive, one sip even tho not great immediately makes you want more. I also found it incredibly gassy and it kept repeating on me! This is something only to be had on rare occasions as it can obviously play havoc with your eating plan. I can see how it would make you hungry. Nibbled on a toffee bar between 11:30 and 1pm. I really try to eat these slowly because they are so nice I just want to eat them really fast. I cannot allow myself to get into this habit, so always try to show a little restraint where the bars are concerned. Finally got off the North Circ at about 2:30 and cannot believe it took me another hour and forty five minutes to get home. Traffic wasn't even that bad, just appaling roadworks. Was feeling pretty hungry by the time I got home. So after getting everything including all the new clothes <G> out of the car. Sat down with a nice mushroom soup pack. Delish!! Got all the unpacking sorted and the washing on, sat down with another cup of tea and kicked back for an hour, caught up with a few mates on the phone etc. Prepared dinner for 8pm another 30 minute eating experience!

Will the excitement ever end where the food is concerned??!! It was sooooooo amazingly good. The flavours and textures totally intense.
It is like eating at a Michelin star restaurant every single night. I never really appreciated the simple flavours before now and probably would not have bothered with half of what I am currently eating - obviously as a chef it always had to be better and more exciting, so you forget about simple.

Tonights dinner was as follows:
90g smoked chicken finely sliced, 10g red pepper sliced, 1/2 mushroom sliced, 1/2 spring onion sliced, 20g cucumber sliced, 2 mange tout and 1 raddish finely sliced, 20g broccoli broken into very small florets- marinated the veg in a squeeze of lemon juice and some sweet chilli with some cracked pepper, and sea salt. After about 10 minutes, I popped it onto a handful of leaf and topped it with a tablespoon of raita which I made with fat free yoghurt, cucumber, mint and garlic.

There was no way this could be eaten at speed, it all had to be savoured and each vegetable tasted. I really felt like a gourmand.

Waited about an hour and for my next trick!! Tada a sugar free cranberry and raspberry jelly with a tablespoon of organic vanilla fat free yoghurt. Totally sublime, smooth, silky, creamy and utterly delicious.

Still have a shake to fit in some how, not sure when as I feel really full.

Am going to make sure I eat at more normal times tomorrow as I have previously been in the very bad habit of not eating all day and then eating too late at night. Today I am calling exceptional circs because of the drive. Will also have to watch for this when I am back at work from Wednesday and take some prepped stuff out on jobs with me in the evening and make sure I can secure myself 20 minutes to sit down and eat - not entirely feasable in my job, but it is going to have to be that way.

As much as I love spending time with my parents, I usually find it quite difficult food wise. Mentally it is always associated with eating (usually the old family favourites or special treats) and drinking ie well it is my holiday so I can justifiably have that extra glass of wine! Did not even feel tempted. Usually the stress of spending too much time together just "being family" also brings out the urge to eat or drink more. So am very happy I stuck to my goals and followed my plan.

Am planning some tuna salad for tomorrow night and another yoghurt variety. Happy days!

Hi Jez,

I'm just back from a weekend away, not read all the posts, only the first page but just wanted to say glad you enjoyed your holiday. You're journey in RTM so far sounds exciting and I'm so glad you're here, the forum was a tad quiet...:)

There seem to be a few of us new starters so it should liven up a bit :) How was your weekend away?

Decided I am in love with Scotland and would move there tomorrow!!!

Jez
xx

Weekend was fab, but hectic. Met up with another LL'er, so that was lovely.

Next time you come up I want to meet up....and that's an order...:)

You are in Glasgow right? Cannot believe how big it is and how beautiful it looks, even though I only drove through it twice! Am planning another trip to Scotland asap, really wondering if I could find work up there in the future, what is the cost of living vs salary like up there? So we shall meet sooner than you think and if you get to London before then, its a meet up here :)

Jez
xx

LOL - perhaps we should organise a Scotland meet? Would be fun and get Jez back here sooner.

Jez - keep those detailed descriptions coming. I have started a recipe book so I don't lose track of those I just can't wait to try. You have such amazing imagination with the limited ingredients. I can learn a lot here.

xx

RTM Day 9 (Week 2)

My first RTM class under my belt and it was lovely. I knew one lady from my development class, though had only met her twice as she started RTM 2 weeks before me. A very interesting class as there are people there in all stages of RTM so we had lots of chat about the different stages we are in and what we are going through in those stages. Quite good to know some of the things to look out for.

Food wise today, has been good, but has not gone as planned time wise. Woke up rather late, had a tea with skimmed milk, then arbed on the couch watching trash tv for a bit. Headed out at about midday to the Sainsbury's to pick up a few bits for dinner. This took far, far longer than I expected as I started looking at lables deluxe. Next week we get cook in sauces etc, so spend ages in the aisle just finding which ones would be the best for me. Also took so long to find the right fat free cottage cheese, because they all had to be compared - let me not go into fat free yoghurts and those decisions. Got some fabulous salmon steaks from the sainsburys basics range, really good value, so decided to have that for dinner tonight. Came home and had a Thai chili soup pack at about 1:30, by which point I was ready for it. The afternoon was spent dolling my sister up for her little "photoshoot" lol I was stylist and photographer. Her exante people would like to use her as a case study so we had to have some after photos to go with the before photos. Boy did she look amazing if I say so myself. If she had more posts on here she could submit them!! I have told her to get into the games section and get her post level up.

Off to class at 6pm and got home about 7:40. Dinner was delish again, pretty similar to last night, with the addition of some fennel and courgette to the salad, and the marinade dressing for the raw veg was made with dill, wholegrain mustard and chardonnay vinegar with a splash of lemon. Lots of cracked pepper and some smoked maldon sea salt. I rubbed the salmon with lemon juice and a little salt and pepper, then rubbed on some smoked chipotle seasoning and some jerk spice, with fresh thyme. Sealed this in a very hot non stick pan on both sides and then popped into the oven at 200c for 7 minutes. Topped this off with another tablespoon of the tzatziki I made yesterday. It was unbelievably good. Just had a sugar free black currant jelly with some more vanilla fat free yoghurt - still tasting like heaven. Have 2 packs still to some how fit in, so will have the bar and dunk it in a hot chocolate foodpack. Am pretty upset with myself for not sticking to the earlier times but it is obviously something I need to be more vigilant about. I should not be eating this late.

Have packed all 3 of my packs for work tomorrow - working late at Science Museum for a dinner, have also packed a tin of tuna in water, and will pick up some leaf at work. Hoping to have the 2 packs and the tuna with some salad before I get home tomorrow night. Then the final pack with a jelly for dessert. The eating at work on time is really worrying me now. Still best to find a way to do it so I have a mental record that it is indeed possible, to work from in the future.

Cannot believe quite how fast the days are going on all this food stuff, abstinence seems so far away now. Still I have to deal with food for the rest of my life so best I get it right now!

More tomorrow, but will be a late post.

Hi Jez

Loving the new avatar. You look fab hon!

Regarding the fitting all the packs in - have you considered eating one for breakfast? You don't seem to eat your first meal/pack until quite late in the day. xx

Hi Jez,

Yep I'm in Glasgow so a Scottish meet would be fab.

Loving the pics...you suit red.

I know what you mean about the yughurts. I stay over at a friends quite often at the weekend and you would not believe the amount of yoghurts that have been bought in preparation for my visit only for me to look at the label and throw my hands up in horror at the amount of sugar in them. Needless to say I've passed on them...:)

I know, its such a bad habit, I really have never been able to keep anything down till about 11am apart from coffee/tea. Am planning to have a bar early tomorrow. Well by about 10am. Had that planned for today but slept in too long!!! Last day of holiday and all <G> Need to get myself into a good routine going forward.

Jez
xx

Hi JEzebella if you don't mind me asking do you mix raw veg with steamed

Last edited:
<enjoying reading this blog Jez you skinny minx!! xx

Back