Jezebella's Journal

the lettuce sushi wraps sound lovely - going to try them this week
you are doing so well surrounded by food all the time!
daisy x

Hi Jez, gosh you sound like you never stop but are managing to still put in the effort required to eat consciously...well done you!

Morticia, I have to do this, it is my one chance to get it right, I need to make this and make it work, for good this time!! Every other diet I have failed on, this one I can visualise working, and I can visualise m slimmer future - never could before, it all only seemed very temporary. I could loose a bit, but was always destined to put it back on. This has given me a new lease of life, and changed my life in so many ways, not just with food, but in how I choose to see problems, solve them, do things to make my life the place I want it to be. Lol I sound so evangelical but I feel that way about this <G>

Jez
xx

LL is wonderful that way. I guess we need that vice taken away completely to appreciate it all the more... It's like we have that respect for food again, right? :)
The lettuce wraps sound lovely - but indeed can be messy! I steam a large cabbage leaf to soften it up, and use it for fajitas, or wraps, or anything really! Or actually buy the seaweed sheets, though they are rather temperamental. .. HMM.

It's important to keep that excitement for food - and always make the extra effort to make it LOOK nice, even if it's just for yourself! I still do this on a daily basis, no matter how basic a meal I'm making. Makes it special, and most importantly, makes me treat food as it should be, rather than taking it for granted and growing complacent.

:)

Exactly Min, food should be an occasion. I remember my grandmother saying ( she was a bit posh so bear with me here) " Even if you serve a simple dinner of smoked salmon and eggs, served it on the silver platter and they will think it's a feast!!" Lol bless her, she was so right. As soon as I can cook veg I will try the steamed cabbage, looking very much forward to some savoy cabbage again. I wonder if nori can be eaten now? It is fat free as far as I know, must ask LLC, also dying for some gherkins, so wonder if we are allowed those yet?

Have just had a most fabulous dinner, so will post it shortly:)

Good Luck for tomorrow Min.

Jez
xx

RTM Day 14 (Week 2)

This time 2 weeks ago I was positively bricking it at the thought of having to eat the next day. Now I cannot believe 2 weeks has gone by so fast. It really has been a rollercoaster, but one that is full of excitement and joy and lots and lots of learning and self examination.

Very pleased with myself today for getting all my RTM homework up to date for class on Tuesday, this really is an essential part of it all to re examine where your head is at with this. It all feels to be going 100miles an hour in mine. Each day brings new excitement and new tastes. As excited as I am about the thought of fruit tomorrow and tomatoes!! (Gosh I have missed tomatoes a huge amount) I also feel I have not even got close to exploring the foods in week 2 and now there is more to add!!! Still I have a lifetime to learn and play and experiment with food.

So todays culinary delights were as follows:

Black coffee this morning whilst lazing around in bed and reading at about 10am when I woke up.
Got well stuck into the housework, it is brilliant at burning calories!! Then setled down in my very clean house with a cup of coffee with skim milk and my peanut bar - very delicious, can't imagine my life without them now.
Then a little time on the RTM work and watching of the grand prix which was quite dull even though all of Britain is celebrating Lewis finally pulling something out of the hat! Waited for my sister to get home at about 3:30 and we had our soups - Tomato with loads of tabasco and a splash of Worstershire Sauce.

Dinner tonight was Spiced chicken breast on asian slaw with a pepper and cucumber salad.

Recipe as follows

120g skinless chicken breast cut very thin (escaloped)
jerk spice seasoning to taste
salt and pepper
30g thinly shredded white cabbage
20g broccoli broken into small florets
1/2 spring onion sliced diagonally
1/2 tbs quark
1 tbs fat free plain yoghurt
Juice of 1 lemon
1g coriander chopped
1g flat leaf parsley chopped
salt and pepper to taste

20g red and yellow pepper cut into julienne (small batons)
20g cucumber cut into julienne (small batons
1 radish halved then sliced
20g celery sliced on the diagonal
1tbs Sainsburys BGTY Red Pepper dressing
2g Sainsburys seasonal baby leaf with peashoots
1tbs fat free plain fromage frais

Method:

Sprinkle the chicken with jerk spice and season with salt and pepper. Seal in a very hot non stick pan and place on an oven tray lined with foil. Set aside
In a large bowl mix cabbage, spring onion, and broccoli, season to taste and add the lemon juice. Stir in the yoghurt and quark and allow to stand for about 10 minutes to infuse flavours

Whilst the slaw is infusing, place the chicken into a hot oven 180c for 10 minutes.
Marinade remaining vegetables with red pepper dressing and season with salt and pepper.

To serve:
Place some slaw on the plate, and next to this some of the pepper salad, then on the lhs, place the mixed leaves. Angle the chicken breast over the slaw and drizzle with the fromage frais.

It was stunning!!! Each night I really enjoy what I eat and it feels like I have been out for a meal - the enjoyment is that great. Previously all I felt about my food was bored. The peashoots have the most fantastic flavour and are well worth a try - such a pretty little leaf too.

Will have my jelly with yoghurt shortly and end off with a hot banana shake.

My sister will be making dinner for us tomorrow so dying to see what she comes up with for us, but will post it after I have eaten :)

well done well done :)
amazing jezebella :) keep up the tremendous work

just a quick question what is quark? and jerk spice?

RTM Day 15 (Week 3)

Wow, cannot believe I am on week 3 already!! Seems a bit shocking that this is flying by even faster than abstinence.

Very good day on the excercise front for me today. Did my 3 monthly deep clean of the kitchen at work which requires huge amounts of heavy lifting, moving, scrubbing and packing. So a fair few cals burnt today. Am also trying to work on my goal of leaving work at a normal hour twice a week, and today it was possible so left at 3 - lol I had already done an 8 hour shift!! Headed home for a quick cuppa then out with my Sister, who had a day off to finally head for the local sports center and the pool.

I was a bit nervous to begin with, havent been in a cossie in ages, but in the change room I notices all shapes, sizes and ages, so thought oh well lets just do this. The water was warm and lovely, and amazingly I can swim as well as I ever did. It was such a liberating feeling being in the warm water and feeling my muscles working. Spent half an hour doing laps a combo of breast stroke and freestyle. Would have liked to swim a bit longer but had to head to the Supermarket to pick up a new hand blender to make smoothies at work. The cheapie one is only £4:28 and a bargan at the price.

Food wise today was really good too. Black coffee on the way to work of which I managed half. Another 2 black coffees whilst at work today and lots of water. I took in some yoghurt fat free total 0%. I have skimmed milk and strawberries at work, so had decided on a Strawberry smoothie for breakfast. Made it at about 10am, and was sadly very dissapointed by it. The strawbs were really tart and it was quite sour. Added some splenda but it really made no difference so I only ended up having half a portion.

At 2pm had a mushroom soup pack whilst placing my orders which was yummy.

Came home and had the cup of tea with milk which was just what I needed. Couldn't believe that I 1) hadn't really been hungry and 2) hadn't got stuck into the fruit. Am still really conscious of the calories.

After the swim and the trip to the supermarket I did actually feel hungry, but not in the same way I did prior to LL, it was more ooh the body needs some fuel now.

My sister made us the most gorgeous dinner and I finally got in some tomato - which I had been dying for and some red meat!!!! It was awesome.

The recipe is hers, so wont post it until I can get it from her but it was as follows

Cannon of Lamb (the fat free piece of loin) and from what she said about 105g, she marinaded this in fat free yoghurt with mint and lemon zest with a bit of garlic. Sealed this in the pan and finished in the oven, but served pink!!
We had this with fresh tomato salsa, and a lovely salad of pea shoot leaves, coriander, flat leaf parsley, courgette, celery, wholegrain mustard and fat free honeymustard dressing. A little mint in vinegar on the side as a dip.

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I did get her to take a pic so will set up an album in the gallery and post a few food pix of the RTM meals over the weekend.

Pud was Raspberry fat free jelly with some fat free yeo valley vanilla yoghurt (I swear I am addicted to the stuff) and a handful of fresh raspberries. They were a taste sensation and so much better than the strawberries, which are obviously hot housed and going out of season fast - infact they are def out of season. Good news though is that Cox Pippin apples are coming in, so cannot wait to bake one next week for pud with some yoghurt. I have some denuded sirloin defrosting for dinner tomorrow, probably have it just chargrilled with some really good mustard and salad. I really do love my red meat fix. Wednesday will be tuna I think. Also found some red mullet portions in the freezer at work looking for a home so might try that and do it carribean style again. Mullet is great for that kind of food.

Ken to answer your questions: Quark is a lovely soft cheese, similar in texture to ricotta but a bit sharper in flavour, really delicious.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(cheese)

Jerk seasoning is a Jamaican/Carribean spice flavouring to use on meat such as chicken, fish or pork, but it is great on anything. Spicy and lovely - quite similar to cajun. You can buy a dry spice blend in any supermarket, there are pastes too or you can make your own.
Jamaican Jerk Important Recipe Ingredients

So all in all a good day for me. Off to make my shake now and head for bed shortly.

Going to try a diff version of the smoothie tomorrow will let you know how it goes.

My total cals today were 701, should I be upping them, should I have more fruit. I feel more than adequately full and really don't want to eat more than I feel my body need, or rather it feels it needs. Second RTM class tomorrow night, not sure if I have lost or not, have been trying to keep off the scales, but seemed to average 700 cals give or take a few over the last week. Looking very much forward to group though.

TTFN

Jez
xx

OOOh, forgot to post this, on a more liberating note, when I was getting changed after my swim, I was doing my usual uber careful changing routine keeping the towel around me and wriggling things off underneath, when I realised 1) everyone else was just changing no matter what shape or size and 2) I was thin, I had nothing to hide!! So I went ahead and changed!! Such a great feeling!!! <G>

Jez
xx

Your meals sound so damn good :) and
filling

yeo valley vanilla yogurt yummy!

i practically lived on that for four days at glastonbury festival when i was in week 4 RTM!

they had a stall selling the big pots for £1 -bargain!
i had at least 2 a day - was miffed when i came home as at tesco they cost £1.40 a pot

daisy x

RTM Day 16 (Week 3)

Such an interesting day for me mentally today. Class really made me think and address some things. I guess this is where we start to apply the lessons learnt in foundation. I have been very structured on RTM so far and really watched the cals, the times of eating etc, and have realised that to a point I was trying too hard and giving myself a fair amount of stress in the process. Not that this means that I have not thoroughly enjoyed the process so far, I have absolutely loved it, but something clicked for me this morning. I am behaving a lot in adapted child mode. Obeying all the rules, etc. I loved the confines of abstinence, but obviously I need to learn to work without such strict boundaries. I realised I was totally stressed on Saturday, worrying about when and how to get the food in. Realised I couldn't get it all in and got into more of a panic. Had a great chat in group and with LLC privately about this, and he advised me to not be so "all or nothing!" which is in essence true. I am trying to be brilliant at work, brilliant at home, a brilliant friend, perfect at LL RTM, etc and realistically at some point it will be too much and I might well snap and this is where the mistake could come in. That is why I am trying to address the issue now.

We also had another lady in group tonight who was having a bit of RTM refreshment, she also works in the food industry, and it was so weird to hear hear voicing my feelings about when and how I eat or used to eat. She also battles with breakfast, although can do loads of coffee early etc etc. Also finds it easy to not eat her own food, but when away she ate plenty of things she didnt want to, even though she knew she shouldnt, because they were there. I need to stop this in its tracks before I head down that road. Still at least she has jumped straight back to LL for support and to get her back on track.

Another interesting point from LLC, was not to force myself to eat at normal times if my body was not ready for or needing food then, because of my strange shift patterns. That I need to listen to my body more and eat when I am hungry.

Food wise today was as follows:

Black coffee x 2 this morning

Breakfast I managed to get in at a really early time for me, just after 9:30. After the dissapointment of the smoothie yesterday I decided on a muller light raspberry and cranberry with half a handful each of raspberries and blueberries. It was scrummy, and even though the rest of the staff were having bacon and egg with ciabatta for brekkie I didn't really feel I was missing out.

Lunch at about 2 which was my old favourite of the LL Thai Chili. - Still cannot get enough of the stuff :) Followed by a cup of tea with some milk. Did debate having a bit of cucumber and dip. But decided against it.

On the drive home at 4pm I realised that I actually felt a litle peckish and wished I had packed a piece of fruit for the drive. It was the first time I noticed physical hunger. Not sure if this is due to me coming out of ketosis or the introduction of the sugar from the fruit?

When I came home from group I had a small snack of cucumber with fat free tzatziki which hit the spot.

Dinner was a complete taste sensation!! Lovely fresh salad of cucumber, celery, yellow pepper, spring onion, some plum tomato and lovely fresh baby leaves with a bit of fat free honey mustard dressing and a dollop of my sisters amazing mustard and parsley fromage frais. The main even however was a piece of the most equisite sirloin, which I had denuded and rolled so it looked like a piece of fillet. Gave it a light season with s&p and brushed with some smoked chipotle. Seared on a very hot grill and then a few minutes in the oven. Rare and perfect. Made me realise how much I missed rare meat and the B Vits from it. Steak was about 120g raw weight so shrunk down to about 100g. How did I ever manage to eat a huge 250g steak and the rest!!

Pud is going to be raspberries, jelly and some yoghurt followed by an LL hot choc.

Total cals for today are about 740 - although as LLC said I need to stop obsessing about calorie intake quite so much.

Have made up a lovely batch of fruit salad to take to work tomorrow. Also quite pleased to have set myself up at work quite well - new hand blender,some jelly pots, a few dips, now the fruit salad, and some lovely fat free dressings. So will now be very easy for me to make stuff to take out to events.

Wishing everyone a fantastic day tomorrow - go out and be the best you can be!!

Well done Jez, even with doing everything by the book we can learn something. This is what I'm looking at, at the moment as I've found RTM fairly easy and wondered if I've become an adapted child....though it's not something I've suffered from in the past...who knows.

RTM Day 17 (Week 3)

Well been pondering the lessons of last night all day today and trying my level best to worry about calories less. Not the easiest task in the world. It is quite a struggle to mentally separate, overly controlling from making choices for my own good, possibly I enjoy the control!!

Black coffee followed by a white coffee this morning early. I am trying to limit myself on the white coffee/tea as I don't want to get into the habit of having hundreds of cups of coffee with milk again as I used to pre LL.

Breakfast was a Muller light Mandarin Yoghurt - really delish, which I had with half a handful of raspberries whilst on the way to Nat Hist to do a presentation. I had planned on having it with some fresh clementine but time ran away with me and we really couldn't be late. It was lovely. I took a small apple in my bag in case of need, as I did not know how long we would be out. Am still a bit scared of apples after other people mentioning how it seems to make them more hungry, and have not yet had the balls to try grapes. Will have to make a point of trying more fruit later in the week. Have mostly been sticking to blueberries/raspberries.

Got back to the unit at about 1pm, had another black coffee and by this time was feeling peckish so had a sugar free jelly as I had quite a bit of paperwork to get done in a very short space of time. At 2:30ish, I had my LL Chicken soup - scrummy as usual.

Left work at 5:30 still with the apple in the bag, "in case of need". Although I did still feel a bit peckish agian was too scared to have the apple 1 - the sugar hit and 2 didn't want to eat on the hoof without paying due attention so to speak.

Quick bit of housework upon my return home, and a lovely dinner to follow which was a "deconstructed" tuna nicoise - lol very tasty, but I did kind of miss the fine beans with it and almost missed the new potato. So tuna steak marinated in fresh lemon, lemon zest, garlic, thyme and parsley. Sealed in the pan and finished in the oven, had this with some plum tomato, fresh rocket, shredded cucumber, fennel, pepper and spring onion, plum tomato a few caper berries and the most luscious soft boiled egg!! It tasted really rich and gorgeous - the first egg I have had since I have started LL.

Snack tonight is blackcurrant sugar free jelly, and a weight watchers fat free "strawberry tart" yoghurt. If you haven't tried it yet, do so, really does taste like a strawberry tart. They come in a pack of 4, with raspberry tart, toffee apple and lemon cheesecake. Can't wait to try the others later in the week.

Will finish off with a Vanilla shake. Total cals are 789, so not too bad at all.

Was quite funny, I did a random scale jump this evening when I got home from work, and was nearly 1kg down on my weight from yesterday??? Shan't complain though, because I am sure there is a good chance I will pick up a few of these later on in RTM.

Well late day tomorrow only serving dinner at 9:30pm tomorrow night at the aquarium for 165 people. Have planned on a chicken and bacon salad for tomorrow night which I will take out on the job with me.

Off to catch up on the rest of the posts on the main board :)

Jez, you're doing so well! You're brilliant at finding being able to knock up a tasty meal out of relatively few ingredients - the joys of being a chef I guess!

I know what you mean about being obsessed by calories, I am getting that way. I am logging on food focus which is great but I think does tend to lend itself to obsession. Part of the problem I think as well is that after living on just over 500 calories a day for so long anything above that sounds huge. I am around the 700 calories a day mark and the thought of 800 is quite scary. We'll get there though!

Jez and Jo, yep I've been there and done that too. I think in the begining food focus is great and I used it lots. I went away last weekend and by the time I got back I had forgotten what I'de eaten each day so had nothing to log realistically....and that broke the cycle for me. It's almost like the focus has been taken off the numbers on a screen and on to the size of the portion on my plate and the way my body is feeling. So now it's just a case of....am i hungry...what does my body want/need right now and is this meal/snack going to satisfy that. So far so good with this. I think it's a process everyone goes through. You will find what's right for you both...:)

RTM Day 18 (Week 3)

A quick one from me as look at the time!! I only got home about 1 1/2 ago and really need to get to bed! Problem is I am awake :) Still a snuggle under the duvet with a good book should fix that.

Food wise some fabulousness today. Black coffee this morning then one white coffee when I got in to work. Breakfast slightly later than usual as I was not really hungry early, and knew it was a long day ahead. When I got around to it at about 11am it was heavenly. 1x muller light strawberry yoghurt, 5 small grapes cut in half, 10 raspberries, 15 blueberries and 1/4 of a tiny apple all chopped up and mixed into the youghurt with half a peanut bar crumbled on the top. Wow is all I can say! It was amazing. Who could have imagined grapes would be so sweet!

Lunch at 3:30 of an LL Thai chicken, some orange jelly and 2 tbs yeo valley vanilla yoghurt

6pm the other half of the LL Peanut Bar, a cup of tea and 1 small fat free fromage frais.

Dinner at 9pm just before service which was one of the nicest this week so far - what am I saying?? I have loved everything I have eaten. 10g mixed leaf, 50g plum tomato chopped, 20g cucumber sliced, 10g courgette sliced, 10g celery chopped, 2 tsp fat free balsamic dressing. Topped this off with 100 g grilled chicken 15g crispy cooked lean bacon, 1 soft boiled egg with a tbs of my sisters gorgeous lemon yoghurt dressing. Managed to sit down and eat it slowly which was great and oh boy did I enjoy it completely - it was like a salad version of a club sandwich!! I really reccommend you try it RTMers.

When I got home at 11:30 had a raspberry jelly with a muller lite vanilla and a small peace. Quite full now, but happy I have manage to incorporate more fruit and of a greater variety of it too. Starting to enjoy it now.

Well I must sleep its 1:30am

Jez
xx

Back