Job interview :(

Atomic pink

Gold Member
Just to let the very kind folks that wished me luck on the "what's for dinner" thread on monday for my job interview I got the call today and unfortunately didn't get it.:cry:

On the positive side they did tell me they were very impressed with all my answers, knowledge and enthusiasm and I was definitely appointable and they would very much like me as part of the organisation. It had just been the case that on the day there was another very good candidate who had done the job before, apparently.

Back to the drawing board then.

A top tip if you get that kind of response - Write a letter thanking them for their time, and for the positive feedback. Doesn't have to be anything lengthy, but finish it stating that you hope they would bear you in mind if a vacancy comes up in the future.

I used to work helping the long term unemployed back to work, and this approach worked on several occaisions. Sometimes people accept the job and then change their minds, they might not like the job once they've started, or once one person leaves a team, others often follow. So if you look really professional and keen, you'll be the first person they think of should another post become available.

Anyway, I always used to say you've got nothing to lose expect the price of a stamp!

Well done on getting an interview, and such excellent feedback, it's very hard just to get an interview at the moment, so that in itself is an achievment.

A top tip if you get that kind of response - Write a letter thanking them for their time, and for the positive feedback. Doesn't have to be anything lengthy, but finish it stating that you hope they would bear you in mind if a vacancy comes up in the future.

I used to work helping the long term unemployed back to work, and this approach worked on several occaisions. Sometimes people accept the job and then change their minds, they might not like the job once they've started, or once one person leaves a team, others often follow. So if you look really professional and keen, you'll be the first person they think of should another post become available.

Anyway, I always used to say you've got nothing to lose expect the price of a stamp!

Well done on getting an interview, and such excellent feedback, it's very hard just to get an interview at the moment, so that in itself is an achievment.

Thanks for the tip Jennyonaplate, might well do that.

Things are a bit poo as me and my husband work for the same organisation and are both very very likely to be made redundant in April so although the feedback was good it is a bit of a blow. I feel very out of practice with interviews as I have been in my current job over 7 years so at least i appear not to have completely messed up the first one I had.

what is it you do? / what job did you apply for?

You can't be that out of practice with that feedback!

Brill advice re the letter - like she says the other candidate may very well not end up doing it for what ever reason!!

It's a shame that you didn't get it but then I am a believer in theings happening for a reason - you never know what will happen, you may end up finding a job that is much better!! x

what is it you do? / what job did you apply for?

I am currently a tenancy support worker with people with enduring mental health issues. The job I applied for was a as an independent mental health advocate so lots of transferrable knowledge and skills but still a new role so a bit more exciting.

Thanks for all your encouragement folks.

Back