Johnson up day down day diet!

Hi Dizzy
Yes, I'll be CDing it on the down days: I'm happy and comfortable with that. :)

Hi RD

Still haven't done the reading but what I know sounds attractive. I think Mizzy might be up for it too. I think I could do the down days easily and if I go a bit mad on the up days on occasion I think as time goes by the novelty would wear off. It's 500 calories isn't it the down days so Mizzy could probably have three CD's and milk in tea, as he finds it hard to give that up. Although he did so when we were sole sourcing and stuck to water only but I think that would be harder to do now. Will ask him. I take drinks without milk anyway so no problems for me.

Have a good day. My fingers are crossed for you both.

Dizzy x

I'm going to give it a whirl as well, just for fun and to see what it does for me. I will not be sticking to it this weekend (I'm in London on a training course and will be exercising solidly all day on Saturday and Sunday so will have to have 2 up days in a row) and I will be on 35% on my down days. I can lose 2lb a week anyway by eating sensibly but I'm quite interested to see how this works - especially if any of my clients ask me about it, cos then I'll be able to give them an educated answer!

I'm going to give it a whirl as well, just for fun and to see what it does for me. I will not be sticking to it this weekend (I'm in London on a training course and will be exercising solidly all day on Saturday and Sunday so will have to have 2 up days in a row) and I will be on 35% on my down days. I can lose 2lb a week anyway by eating sensibly but I'm quite interested to see how this works - especially if any of my clients ask me about it, cos then I'll be able to give them an educated answer!

Hi Kate

Wow! I'm really excited now you are giving it a go as I do a lot of exercise too and so get nervous of restricting calories. I'm hoping that one day on and off will work. I would love just to be sensible all the time but unfortunately so far I haven't been able to succeed that way. I actually love have down days. I even find my workout improves when I have had low calories but I know it would catch up with me in a day or 2. This 'may' be a good way for me. Will read up on it and give it a try. Like you say will be interesting to see how our bodies feel.

Dizzy x

Hey Diz

Just so you know, I will be on around 1000 calories on the 'down' days - the calories depend on your goals and your level of activity. There's a calculator that helps you work out what your calories should be:

Johnson Upday Downday Diet

I would never drop below 1000 calories with all the exercise I do to be honest. In fact this will be a first for me as I wouldn't usually go below 1200 but I'm interested to see if it works and to what extent, if any, it affects my ability to exercise at maximum capacity.

I am timing it so that my 'down' days are the days when I only have one intense cardio class - Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I do sometimes have two classes on those days but the second one tends to be less intense e.g. aerobics or Body Balance.

Drat! The calculator isn't working for me :mad:

Have you got Javascript switched off RD?

Try again RD, its working ok for me, otherwise send me your stats and I'll bung them in! Seems like we have really started something here! Exciting!

Well, to a techno dum-du like me, that meant diddly squat! LOL :D

Never mind, I'll just stick to 500 cals on CD on the down days and around 1000 cals or so on the up days. Hopefully that'll do the trick. :)

Nope - doesn't work!

Barb - my stats are: Female, 215lb, 62" tall, 45 years old, light exercise

What does your cal allowance come out at?

Thanks Kate

That was useful worked for me RD. Have another try. At 20% I was 488 and at 35% 854. I classed myself as moderate exercise 3-5 days a week.

One particular advantage of this diet is it does allow you to lead a normal social life and organise occasions etc for up days. It is seeming more and more attractive to me. I guess the only way to see how it really is is to give it a whirl.

Dizzy x

Dizzy x

Thanks Dizzy!

Hi RD

yours comes out at Normal cals = 2298, at 25% loss mode your DD total is 575, at 30% loss mode your DD total is 689, although we are advised not to exceed 500 on DD's in the first 2 weeks.

Mine comes out at normal cals = 2383

25% DD 596
30% DD 675

I will be sticking to 596 after the first 2 weeks and see how it goes.
So far today I have had a cup of tea and a rich tea biscuit. A mushroom cup of soup and a low cal marshmallow cake. I have 283 cals left for the rest of the day so plan to have a prawn salad for dinner and some melon/strawberries later. all will be very carefully weighed.

Hope that helps, Love

I think I'll be starting with down day tomorrow.

See if Mizzy's interested too.

Dizzy x

Yayyy, Judders goes from strength to strength!

Thanks Barb - that helps a lot. That's a higher calorie allowance than I thought on an up day ... don't know if I can trust my body to lose weight on that so I'll probably have less than that.

I'm hoping not to get pedantic on the up days ... I want to eat 'comfortably' without thinking about every mouthful but keeping a mindful eye on what SORTS of food I'm eating.

I'm hoping that, making the right choices will mean that it won't be necessary to do a lot of weighing etc. Tomorrow, I'm planning a bowl of porrige oats with some prunes for breakfast, some tuna and ryvita type crackers for lunch (carbs - yikes!) and a chicken breast and veg for dinner. I'll also down 2/3 litres of water. I'm also hoping to go to the gym.

The JUDDERS site makes the point that you MUST NOT cal count on up days as this just reinforces obsessive eating/counting/worrying and is not helpful at all.

I will not be cal counting on Up days!

Wow, this is sooo cool! I am so glad i posted this thread and i really hope that you all get something positive from the JUDD diet! I shall watch with baited breath!

Thanks for posting it Bex ... this might just be the breath of fresh air I needed to complete my journey!

Back