Joodle and Dukan against the last 11 lbs!!!

My only advice would be to visit Anja's diary....she is one of my inspirations as she got her weight down and managed successfully to maintain :)

I can't advise as I'm in the same place but not at goal yet :( wish I could help more hun x

Joodlebob, I wouldn't worry too much, since as you say, you are maintaining your tw and are looking great in your size eights. And you know how to deal with the blips in the short term.

I think it's important not to blame yourself for these patterns, and remember that most of what you're feeling is a biological response. In conso your body is programmed to gain back the weight you've lost, and so you'll get hunger pangs more easily. Hopefully this will stop over time, as your body adjusts to the lower weight.

I've also been reading up about paleo and primal eating, and the theory is that you can only control your weight long term if you learn to regulate your insulin and therefore your blood sugar. I can feel it immediately when I have something sweet and carby - it triggers a mad craving for more of the same, and i can't stop myself. And the worst thing is that this happens even with certain sweeteners - even though you're not consuming calories, the sweetener can raise your blood sugar and trigger hunger pangs. I've switched to stevia now, which has a low (zero?) glycemic index.

So while i'm still following most of the principles of dukan, I am probably not going to follow the conso plan of reintroducing carbs and grains, even in limited amounts. I'm too scared of setting off the hunger cycle - and I'd rather start adding in more good fats, like nuts and avocados, which I really miss!

You've done so well, though, I think you should worry less and be confident that you will stay in control. And if you're going to cheat, make sure you buy a small portion and don't tell yourself 'I'll only eat half the packet', cos it never works that way!

Cx

And another thing joodlebob, don't think we missed that juicy bit about the 22year old. What's this with you and the young lads, hmm?!! I seem to remember we're expecting some online dating action? You've posted some lovely pics here recently, so that excuse is gone, sweetie pie!

Joodle, I know where you're coming from! A night out just isn't the same without a few drinks, which immediately make you want the long-banned foods (like some people can't drink without having a cigarette). And it's inevitable that the next day you want carbs. Hitting the diet cokes hard, and not snacking (because every snacky food is banned on Dukan) just doesn't do it - makes you ready for an early night which isn't living! I bet you were feeling the anti-climax of your Olympic volunteering coming to an end, too.

I haven't had a drink for over 3 months now and look 'amazing' for it (other people's words, not mine). Someone asked me this morning if I felt better and I answered honestly, "I do during the day". The evenings are a different matter, I don't see the point. But the next morning I'm glad I didn't.

I don't think any of this has to do with food or drink per se, or even our relationship with them in a way that any diet can sort out. It's about how we deal with emotional ups and downs, or even the lack of them. If anyone has a quick-fix solution to that I'd be glad to hear about it!

Perhaps I'm just talking about me here and this doesn't ring true to you, in which case I apologise. Maybe not eating bread or cheese unless you've weighed it is the answer after all (puts the brakes on, gives you that element of control, etc). Let me know what you think. xx

What Sara said sounds good xxx sorry not to have words of wisdom xxx

I am never very good with words, but can feel foryou. Have lost weight four times in the past and then put it all back on plus some this senario os my nightmare. I am so scared that when I finish the cruise phase that I will struggle with the rest.

I think (as has been said) its to do with our emotions and triggers. We condition ourselves to eat certain things with certain things....like beer and crisps. We have to try and change those triggers and it will be hard. Its a habit. habits are always hard to break.

At least you recognise that you are binging and that you can control other days.

Stay strong hun xx

Oh, Jude :)
That's why the consolidation is soo long.... to teach something.
We need to learn to make good choices for us.
You are doing ok.
Hang in there.
You'll find your balance.
(So that guy? Is it something serious? :)

Thank you guys, for all your lovely and thoughtful answers. I think there is truth in all you say and it's also reassuring that so many of us feel the same. I will check Anja's diary an keep coming back to all your comments here for inspiration. Yes, it's all linked to emotional eating and feeling like food is a reward and the triggers (red wine with crisps, coffee and something sweet...), you are all so right. I just haven't found a way to deal with it yet.

Caro, interested to hear how you go with paleo, it makes sense to me too. I do think I want to give conso a proper chance though, as despite having been doing it for about 5 weeks now (in theory, I actually don't think I've done it properly for even one full day), I do want to be able to get to the point where I can eat a piece of fruit, a small amount of bread and cheese in a day and then stop.

I felt so great when I wasn't drinking, like you say Sara, even though yes, it was dull at times. But now it's sort of half allowed sometimes, the thought of 7 weeks booze free seems impossible. So funny how easy it is to get out of the zone huh? Plus, my daily diet has been horrific these last few days - barely anything nutritious, just sweet stuff and crisps and booze basically. Aaargh.

In terms of an update then, things went from bad to worse the last few days! Tuesday I over-indulged, yesterday was worse and today was going the same way....until I read up on lots of your diaries and just thought, no, I'm being ridiculous, I need to get back on the wagon NOW. So although I was heading home with thoughts of a cocktail and some snacks then Dukan dinner and probably some chocolate or ice cream, I realised I was actually full from the snacking in the day and that if I resisted, I would feel so much better, better than the feeling of eating all that.

I'm going out tomorrow night but will do Dukan all day then see what happens without beating myself up. I know if I can stay in control in the day, I've a good chance of staying in control in the evening, even if I have a few drinks. This weekend I need to think long and hard about what I've learned so far, the good stuff but also need to figure out why I am letting myself sabotage my good efforts and why I have slipped so quickly back to old eating patterns.

It's not too late though. I weighed 8st 6.2lb this morning which is up almost 2lbs on my lowest weight on Monday, but for sure could be worse.

Bottom line: thank you ALL for your diaries and posts here, which have acted as a virtual kick up the bum and got me back on track, at least for now.

Wish me luck!

Joodle(bob) xx

PS No! Nothing happened with the 22 year old, we were just out drinking!!! Sheesh, am old enough to be his Mum! And yeah, sorry, internet dating hasn't happened. No time at all until a few days ago. I know, I know, I'm rubbish. Still need to find decent pics where you can actually see what I look like.... Excuses, excuses, you don't have to tell me.....

Morning Joodlebob, sound like your brain has just'clicked'again, of course you can control your eating and drinking your a strong, bright intelligent cougar lol, sorry woman. Your looking fantastic. Your know Dukan works your into the conso. Enjoy it, the old you has gone no more self sabotaging live within the rules and keep looking hot xxx

Of course you can eat a piece of fruit, a small amount of bread and cheese in a day and then stop.
Of course you CAN do it!!

Big hugs to you Joodle !

Joodlebob you will manage this, you know you will! You know what I think I've learned from this last year of dieting? It's that I now have hope for the future - if I go off the rails for a day or two it no longer ruins my entire life because I know I can get back on the wagon and I no longer feel that helplessness after having eaten an entire pizza or something. It's something I can now put behind me and just go on and so will you :) Besides, even without a great pic of you I'm pretty sure you're one hot momma :)

Jude, you're still at tw! Now do what the good doctor tells you, in Conso, just like you did in Cruise! Or, if you really have decided you want to lose another half-a-stone, do it and don't hang around in no-man's land. Put yourself in control by planning, don't let circumstances make the decisions for you.

I'm sounding awfully harsh but, you know what, your falling at this hurdle would have repercussions for all of us. As Sid says, you're intelligent enough and strong enough to sort this thing (or old enough and ugly enough, as we say in our family, we're lovely to each other!) Ironically, because you reached tw so quickly your old eating patterns are not such a distant memory as they are for some of us - all the more reason to do Conso! Lots of love xx

Hey Jude, hows it going, you've not posted for a couple of days I hope you've managed to 'get your head in the game' xxx

I'm sounding awfully harsh but, you know what, your falling at this hurdle would have repercussions for all of us. As Sid says, you're intelligent enough and strong enough to sort this thing (or old enough and ugly enough, as we say in our family, we're lovely to each other!) Ironically, because you reached tw so quickly your old eating patterns are not such a distant memory as they are for some of us - all the more reason to do Conso! Lots of love xx

Sorry Doodle, I have to add salt to the wound! You are scaring me, I looked up to you as very strong willed in cruise, now I am thinking if she cant do it, how the heck am I going to do it! :( I know each man is accountable to themself in this, but thats the bonus of going conso first, we will all be waiting to see if its really doable by watching you! Having said that I know its difficult and I know you will get the grips of it and you will be fine soon! :)
Not much of tha advice you asked for! :D

WHERE ARE YOU!!!! I hope you have just been busy and that you are back in control...... As you can see you have inspired soooo many people Joodle and we all love your witty posts and are missing them!!! Conso been a bit of a mine field for us all but we can do this - it may not be a walk in the park but worth the battle for sure!!! Hope to hear from you REALLY soon! x

what Trudy said!

Back