Joodle and Dukan against the last 11 lbs!!!

Day 18 - Cruise, PV

There's something wrong with me when it comes to weekends. I'm managing pretty well during the week but without the structure of a working day, I seem to lose the plot a bit.

So I ate far too little this morning and nearly passed out on my way back from the gym, then started doing ironing and cleaning the flat and other glamourous things like that and ended up having dinner far too late (which is, I think, the main reason I'd been gaining weight in the first place). I need to get my act together. Anyway, here's the day;

B: 1 egg,
S: 3 crab sticks
L: 50g smoked tofu, 1 tbsp mackerel pate
S: 60g smoked salmon wrapped round 4 spears asparagus
D: raw veg, 1 tbsp quark + 0% total yoghurt mixed up as dip, veggie sausage, roast peppers, asparagus, 50g Thai stir fried prawns, 2 tbsp frozen yoghurt (1tbs weightwatchers strawberry yoghurt mixed with 1 tbsp quark)

Exercise: 20 cross trainer, 15 min run, 60 mins walking
WW pro points: 20

Bit concerned I may be eating too little (incredible as it seems, having eaten uncontrollably for much of the last year) and my body is freaking out and refusing to shed any weight. When I look back at my weight watchers points over the week, I've been under my allowance of 26 points pretty much every single day and I've not touched my weekly allowance of 49, nor had to use any of the points earned through exercise. When I was actually doing weight watchers properly this would never have happened - once I started straying into my points allowance that was usually it and I'd be eating everything in sight. I've just found it so easy to eat less with Dukan, but if things slow down too much I may need to try to eat a bit more and a bit more regularly.

And dang, just realised I forgot my oat bran today. Took a cookie with me to they gym, intending to stop off afterwards to have it with a coffee but had to hurry home instead. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

Did some interesting Dukan shopping today though. Was in Chinatown so picked up some of those spooky sounding noodles made from some weird substance I've never heard of which are carb, fat and calorie free. As a result, they will presumably taste revolting! Will report back. Also realised that my favourite range of Thai curry pastes are all fine for Dukan. Maybe a tiny bit salty but as you only use a small amount, not too bad. I'd assumed they had some oil or sugar in them but no, nothing off limit at all. Very exciting discovery as I usually cook loads of Thai dishes and this will make my menus way more interesting. Made a great stir fry with prawns and red curry paste which I can share if anyone likes that sort of thing. I thought it was delish. Bit of a cook-in today, making loads of fat free roast veg, veggie sausages, Dukan friendly frozen yoghurt and the prawns. Seem to have a ton of stuff in the fridge waiting to be cooked so think more cooking is on the cards for tomorrow. Want to try some of the indulgent sounding desserts now that I've released myself from worrying about the artificial sweeteners!

Ooh, and I went crazy last night and ordered 4 small bottles of flavouring extracts from the web. Got peanut butter, butter, melon and pistachio. Could be horrible but if they're not, it will be very exciting! Which reminds me that I did something very odd today. Walking back from the gym I decided to go into a shop called Cyber Candy, which imports all different sweets and chocolate bars from over the globe. No idea what I was thinking - maybe wanted to test my willpower. Anyway, I wondered downstairs and was happily resisting everything, when I saw a whole section with sugar free gum. They had loads of different flavours of Extra, like apple pie, mint choc chip and key lime pie, which is what I went for. Clearly, it's not the same as tucking into the real thing (!) but I had half a stick on the way home and twas pretty nice! They do have 2g carbs per stick but half a stick was loads.

So that's the end of week 3 of Dukan. Have moved my weigh in to Monday in the hope that it will keep me on the straight and narrow over the weekend so will report weekly result then.

Main observation from this week is that it's still feeling very easy to follow the diet and I've certainly been eating a shed load less than I used to. What worries me now though is that I have deliberately shut myself away a bit these last 3 weeks, only been out a couple of times since starting (mainly to avoid the booze temptation) and that this isn't going to help me in the long run. Not going to beat myself up about it but I do need to find a way of eating and drinking less while having a normal social life.

Saying that, I've felt no pangs at all for red wine, which is a miracle! The two main cravings I've had since starting have, much to my surprise, been for fruit - once when walking past a stall selling some lovely smelling strawberries and then once when I saw boxes of those gorgeous honey mangos in the greengrocer. They're seasonal and I'm gutted I'll have to miss out on them until next year...but it'll be worth it :fingerscrossed:

Great post Joodle - fantastic - well done - looking good!

Walking back from the gym I decided to go into a shop called Cyber Candy, which imports all different sweets and chocolate bars from over the globe. No idea what I was thinking - maybe wanted to test my willpower. Anyway, I wondered downstairs and was happily resisting everything, when I saw a whole section with sugar free gum. They had loads of different flavours of Extra, like apple pie, mint choc chip and key lime pie, which is what I went for. Clearly, it's not the same as tucking into the real thing (!) but I had half a stick on the way home and twas pretty nice! They do have 2g carbs per stick but half a stick was loads.

wow, that's amazing! i hope you're really proud of yourself. You were inside a sweet store and bought nothing but SUGAR FREE GUM!!

Crossing my fingers for you for tomorrow, J...

Cx

Errrrrrrr no it doesn't mean you can put off the dating, get yourself out there & have some fun !!!!!

Haha, Jo, I love how you won't let me off the hook on that one! I have my profile written...now I just have to decide what to do with it! And thanks for all the encouragement you guys - sorry for writing such long entries that you then have to plough through. I type really fast so before I know, it I've written a novel, but one without a plot or interesting characters. Today will be brief!

Day 19 Cruise PP

B: Short double shot decaf skinny sugar free hazelnut latte. (This pretty much filled in all the boxes on the side of the cup, much to the barista's delight...and my embarrassment ), Dukan oat bran biscuit
L: Boiled egg, asparagus, 1 veggie sausage, 30g smoked salmong
D: 2 veggie sausage, 3 x seafood sticks, 25g roasted gluten in spicy broth

Exercise: 60 min run, 60 min walk
WW Pro points: 18

Everything started well. I was up early, went for a 1 hour run, treated myself to a sugar free hazelnut skinny latte and a read of a magazine, sourced some interesting new flavours (hello rum flavouring, you're going to pretend to be a mojito later) and got some shopping for my Mum. Oh, with the latte I had my second attempt at a microwave oat bran biscuit, the ginger one I think. (Am refusing to call them cookies on the basis that I don't call rubbish 'garbage' or pavements 'sidewalks'. Yep, am a language snob!!)

So the last oat bran biscuit I made had the consistency of a wellington boot. This one avoided that problem and instead appeared to be forged from some kind of oat-based concrete. Can't imagine my digestive juices being strong enough to break it down so am hoping it will just remain in eternal residence in my tummy, performing a similar size-reducing function to a gastric band.

Got home and boiled an egg for lunch. Then I saw I had some steamed asparagus that needed to be used up so I reheated a pile of it and sat, quite happily, dunking the spears into my egg. It wasn't until the second last spear that I realised I was meant to be on a PP day. I spat the asparagus out, I was so shocked! No idea how I managed to forget and was sooooo annoyed with myself. Decided to leave it as a blip rather than carrying on with a PV day but am now convinced I'll have scuppered my weigh in tomorrow. Still can't quite believe I just forgot! Later on, I was making celery soup and absent mindedly ate a piece of the celery I was chopping. Only a small bit but again, I froze as soon as I realised and just stood staring in disbelief at this lump of green. What's wrong with me? Please tell me some of you have confused yourselves like this too!! I mean, twice in one day. It's not like it's rocket science. Ho hum.

Rest of today has just been spent getting the place tidied up for my folks coming down tomorrow and a mammoth cooking session. Quite enjoyed it but it's all taken so long, I'm only just finished. I can see that this thing would be a lot easier if I just ate meat but that ain't going to happen so I'll stop my complaining! Have now got some Dukan quiche with veggie sausage chunks through it, cod in mustard sauce, 'cream' of celery soup, boiled eggs and a bunch of veggie burgers cooked up ready for the week so am feeling prepared (particularly important because of impending parental visit). I need to manage to eat with them without them suspecting I'm on a low-carb diet as they Very Much Disapprove of such things. Will be an interesting week!

Good luck to everyone weighing in tomorrow. Can't wait to hear how you all get on!

Jx

Last edited:
Hi Joodle,

I am completely with you on the PP/PV confusion as I also lost the plot last week. Had a 'blip' on Wednesday evening and then never quite decided if/how to adjust the rest of the week, with the result that half way through Friday I couldn't remember what day i was supposed to be on! Ended up doing 5 PV days and just 2 strict PP - completely by accident and because i didn't plan and think things through. So you really do need to get into a mindset every day and remind yourself what day you're on!

Yours seems like a small blip, though, and I'm sure the WI will be fine.

Good luck! Cx

You call that brief :D just kidding

Well I can tell you what to do with your profile - POST IT ON A SITE !!!!! I am guessing from your previous posts you are delaying it because you think you might have to actually socalise as you've been putting off going out, but do it !!! You can't stay a hermit & what fun is that anyway. I am totally being selfish of course as I want to hear all the stories about the loonies & nice men you meet :) I was never in when I was internet dating.

Totally know what you mean about getting your days mixed up I think we've all done it, your blips shouldn't mess the wi up so don't fret.

Can't wait to see how much you've lost x

Fingers crossed for WI Joodle - haven't mixed up my days - guess I think about food far too much and would be kicking myself if I missed a PV day!!! LOL!

You guys crack me up! Jo, I read my post back and was like 'eh, why did I say I'd keep it brief'. Ahem. Must. Try. Harder. And yes, yes, post it on a site, ok, ok I get it. It will happen this week (oh jeez, I need photos too I guess...) and you will absolutely hear the stories. My 'love life' has long been a source of amusement to my friends. It's like a service I provide to them, stuck indoors with their kids and adoring husbands. Still, somebody's got to do it....

So today.

Cruise day 20. PP (Cos yesterday was a failed asparagus ridden PP)

Pretty sad to see I'd only lost 0.6lb last week despite the absolute lack of real cheating (unless I really have to count asparagus as a cheat?) and having got back into exercise for the first time in a few weeks. Particularly annoying as a couple of days earlier I was down at 8.13.6. No idea what went on there so just have to keep going and hope it sorts itself out. Hate how my mood appears to be dictated by the number on the scale still. It's just a number. It's just a number. Nope, no good!

Dragged myself out of bed to get to the gym this morning, only to find the class I'd been planning to go to had been cancelled. That's pretty high up in the annoying stakes, along with queuing for a till to find it shuts when it gets to your turn.

Uneventful day food wise:

B: Total 0% yoghurt +sweetener + flavouring, last of the Dukan microwave cookies, my teeth are thanking me
S: Small skimmed flat white +sweetener
L: 30g smoked salmon, tbsp mackerel pate, 1 egg + dab of extra light mayo
S: 25g quorn pepperoni
D: 75g veggie sausage 'quiche', Thai style soup (thai red curry paste, milk, squid - can report that skimmed milk is no substitute for coconut milk....), 1 veggie sausage
S: Licked the spoon quite a bit during major cooking session

Exercise: 20 mins cross trainer, 15 min treadmill, 30 min walk
WW pro points: 26

Wanted to make sure I had tons of food prepared so I could relax a bit this week. Made marinated fish kebabs, courgette stuffed with spicy TVP mince (awesome round courgette I found at the farmers' market. Like a baby pumpkin but, um, green), chocolate muffins and cheesecake, but not the rubbery recipe from last time.

Spin tomorrow morning....little bit scared.

OMG, I actually thought that was a short post! Sorry Jo! ;)

Pretty sad to see I'd only lost 0.6lb last week despite the absolute lack of real cheating (unless I really have to count asparagus as a cheat?) and having got back into exercise for the first time in a few weeks. Particularly annoying as a couple of days earlier I was down at 8.13.6. No idea what went on there so just have to keep going and hope it sorts itself out. Hate how my mood appears to be dictated by the number on the scale still. It's just a number. It's just a number. Nope, no good!

.[/QUOTE]

I hear you on this Joodle.

My scales went up by 300g this morning and I was working out for an hour and a half last night #Grrrrr!

I put mine down to the fact that the toilet fairy hasn't visited and I also had a Thai lunch yesterday, as I didn't take out meat to cook on Sunday.

I had a sirloin steak salad (with some sort of chilli vinegarette...yum) and satay chicken (with the tiniest bit of peanut sauce). It tasted so good at the time but if it's caused the increase, I won't be doing that again lol!

I made the Dukan Diet Coke Chicken last night and had to share with my boyfriend *sigh* lol! So I'm off to Co-Op today for my roasted chicken drumsticks for lunch. Will probably make something with tuna later.

On another note, where did you get quorn pepperoni from? I wanna try making a Dukan pizza, as I found a way of making a 'crust' with cauliflower.

Last edited:
Joodle - don't watch those scales cos regardless I bet you feel a ton better being in control - and I don't count the asparagas as being out of control - LOL!!!! Well unless it was chocolate asparagas! Keep going gal - and get on that dating website - I did it for a while but it was a full time job keeping up with it all! LOLOL! Glad your friends find you love life sooooo amusing!!! My girls (the ones that work for me age range 19 - 26) keep me well amused with their dating stories!!! Honestly hilarious!! And sometimes shocking!!..... Anway keep going J, well worth it....

I love spinning! It's definitely the class that makes me sweat the most. Can be a bit painful on the bottom though!

How were the chocolate muffins and cheesecake? :)

Looks like you had been doing tons of exercise and worked muscles hold on to fluid as part of the inflammatory response do I bet you have lost more than the scales show. Keep up the good work...only on this diet would you feel guilty for eating celery lol!

My scales went up by 300g this morning and I was working out for an hour and a half last night #Grrrrr!

I out mine down to the fact that the toilet fairy hasn't visited and I also had a Thai lunch yesterday, as I didn't take out meat to cook on Sunday.

I had a sirloin steak salad (with some sort of chilli vinegarette...yum) and satay chicken (with the tiniest bit of peanut sauce). It tasted so good at the time but if it's caused the increase, I won't be doing that again lol!

I made the Dukan Diet Coke Chicken last night and had to share with my boyfriend *sigh* lol! So I'm off to Co-Op today for my roasted chicken drumsticks for lunch. Will probably make something with tuna later.

On another note, where did you get quorn pepperoni from? I wanna try making a Dukan pizza, as I found a way of making a 'crust' with cauliflower.

Everything you write makes me think we shouldn't be weighing ourselves daily...but how to resist?!?! I doubt that 300g is the satay sauce, think you can blame it on the fairy :D, or maybe that bit of cake caught up with you. Bet it's all gone tomorrow though!

Just checked and it's not pepperoni it's quorn chicken slices I've got. They definitely do a pepperoni type, - was in Sainsburys - but it was quite expensive so I stuck to chicken. How the heck do you make pizza from cauliflower? What sorcery is this?!!? Jx

Joodle - don't watch those scales cos regardless I bet you feel a ton better being in control - and I don't count the asparagas as being out of control - LOL!!!! Well unless it was chocolate asparagas! Keep going gal - and get on that dating website - I did it for a while but it was a full time job keeping up with it all! LOLOL! Glad your friends find you love life sooooo amusing!!! My girls (the ones that work for me age range 19 - 26) keep me well amused with their dating stories!!! Honestly hilarious!! And sometimes shocking!!..... Anway keep going J, well worth it....

Trudy, you're so right. If I had to say one thing I like best about Dukan, it's that I feel completely in control of my food and free of the endless 'ooh, it won't matter if I just have a bit, I can be good later' type thought battles, followed by intense guilt, that were pretty much endless in my head. I've a slight niggling fear that this is going to get harder in consolidation as it's not quite so black and white, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

You know, it did hit me how ridiculous the asparagus thing is. I mean, here I am going 'oh no, I ate asparagus, I cheated'. Four weeks ago it would had been 'oh no, I ate an entire loaf of bread with a kilo of gooey cheese, I wonder if that's cheating?' Perspective needed!! And just to clarify, no, it wasn't chocolate dipped asparagus. Somehow that doesn't really appeal....

Will be reporting back on the comedy dates, don't you worry. Well, if I actually pluck up the courage to sign up to a site I mean...

Jx

Looks like you had been doing tons of exercise and worked muscles hold on to fluid as part of the inflammatory response do I bet you have lost more than the scales show. Keep up the good work...only on this diet would you feel guilty for eating celery lol!

Thanks Ophelia Leanne! Is that why you sometimes feel a bit bulkier after a heavy workout? And I know, it's insane to feel bad about eating vegetables, but quite funny to see how much my idea of cheating has changed!! Jx

I love spinning! It's definitely the class that makes me sweat the most. Can be a bit painful on the bottom though!

How were the chocolate muffins and cheesecake? :)

Ceri, my bottom is doing a great job of providing its own padding right now, never fear!

Muffins were AMAZING! Finally managed to get the recipe right (previous experiments had seen me use wheat germ instead of wheat bran by mistake and they'd all been pretty solid). These ones were light and delicious. They didn't actually taste that chocolatey because I had the Fear of cocoa powder (not having managed to source the elusive Tesco reduced fat stuff...did I ever mention that?! :rolleyes:) so only used 1/2 a teaspoon. But they are far and away the best recipe yet and even better, only take about 3 mins to make. Made another batch today - was just doing single day quantities but will do a bigger batch now I know they work.

Cheesecake tastes good and tart but was too full to have any today. What's happening to me?!?!?

Jx

Day 21 cruise PV day

Good food day today I think. Started off with a spin class, with the instructor I don't like much cos he's got no chat and I get bored if they're not at least trying to entertain. Demanding, moi?

B: 150g fromage frais + stewed rhubarb, 1 1/2 chocolate muffins - cracked the recipe, couldn't be happier
S: chocolate muffin
L: slice smoked salmon, 2 tbsp mackerel pate with raw veg, bowl celery soup, boiled egg
D: raw veg, roast veg, tiny portion of pak choi my Mum brought down from her garden!!, cod with shallot and mustard sauce, 4 prawns
S: fake mojito - probably as good as it's going to get without real rum...

Exercise: 45 mins spin, 30 min walk
WW pro points: 23

Today I have mostly been: on the phone to the council trying to sort out the money they owe me from messing up my council tax payments, on the phone to the council trying to get them to sort out the leak from the roof that's caused damp up one wall of my flat, on the phone to the council's insurance department trying to get them to tell me how to claim for the plaster that's falling off the wall as a result of the damp and on the phone to the insurance company trying to get them to believe that I do own the property and if my name's not in their system it's because the council are not the most intelligent group of people ever brought together in a work space and may not have updated it yet.

It's been a joy.

I have also cracked the muffin recipe once and for all and am looking forward to the vanilla and chocolate essence ones tomorrow. Really can't believe they count as diet food. Suspect my colleagues just think I'm being a complete pig as I chomp through 3 of them a day. Little do they know mwahahaha.

Lovely girl sitting opposite me gave me this little gooey chocolatey thing earlier and I had it sitting there under my nose all day without so much as a pang of desire. This is progress...I hope.

Did a ton more cooking tonight - have so much in the fridge I need to give it a rest - seem to be forgetting that I'm simply not eating as much as I was before. Problem is that if the fish counter at the supermarket is selling stuff heavily reduced, I can't walk by - I've become a fresh fish horder, oh my.

Sweetener use is creeping up which ain't ideal. I know we're allowed up to 8 servings a day but ideally I just want to lose my sweet tooth. Maybe that's a goal a bit further down the line.

Right, killer Body Pump tomorrow at 7, why on earth am I still up?

Back