Jo's food log

So...the deed is done. I dry fried a part of a chicken breast (as they were huge!) and then poached it for about 10 minutes in a Marigold stock. I decided to have it with a spoonful of very low fat cottage cheese which had a bit of pepper ground over the top.

What did I think? The chicken was nice and I made sure to chew slowly and carefully but the bit that I enjoyed the most was the cottage cheese - lovely and tangy.

How do I feel now? I don't know really, it was nice to chew and use a knife and fork and experience different tastes but if I am being honest I am slightly underwhelmed by it all.

I feel satisfied, not full (which is good) but I am more looking forward to my bar later - I think I have turned into some kind of freak!

Jo, you're not a freak at all. My first meal was much like yours, but don't worry by day 3 it does get batter....and just wait until you can have fruit again....:)

So glad it went well Jo, I was slightly underwhelmed by my first meal too. I think we build up for it in such a huge way mentally that it could never live up to that. I had cottage cheese on the 3rd day and like you found it amazing, almost lemony and zingy - I have always loved it but now probably even more so.

Good Luck for tomorrow

Jez
xx

Hey Jez. Know what ya mean. I love CC too! I find it really satisfying, and extremely versatile.

I remember my first meal, tasted gorgeous - absolute heaven. My taste buds really did giggle, and I kicked my feet with glee. A beautiful peice of a Salmon filet, on rocket, etc. I savoured it - one layer/flake at a time. However, it turned out to be too rich, and made its way back to the sea at about 3am. ;) lol so much for that!

It wasnt until about day 4 or 5, when i was underwhelemd. But in an eye opening way. My thoughts were "All those years - and my relationship with food - what WAS the BIG DEAL????? It is JUST food. Big whoop....what was all the fuss I hade made! lol

Now I love the challenge of converitng some rich recipes to healthy ones, and creating new ones, with new tastes, new textures, etc. I appreciate it in a whole new way.

But again, at the end of the day, it is just food. Not the end all, or the be all of life. Just a small part of it. :)

Plus, it means washing up again!! Who wants that!? :D

x

hi jo
i still have the odd bar and really enjoy them - just had a banana shake before i go to aerobics, its the last one i have left, i feel a bit sad!

mindyou i might just buy a few to have in the house in case i feel like one!

daisy x

I am absolutely going to keep a few packs around for my more busy days!! I love them too much - who would have thought it!!!

Jez
xx

I know, it is strange - I think I would be happy on my foodpacks full time but have the occasional meal. It's a pity it can't work like that.
Speaking of food packs, think it might be time for double porridge for late breakfast and early lunch!

Day 2 - so had a double porridge at mid morning as I knew I would be out all day doing things. Then this evening I had 3 slices of smoked salmon and about 2 dessert spoons of vlf cottage cheese both of which were with copious amounts of ground pepper over them.

Absolutely loved this evening's dinner! I had a fellow LLer round for tea who has gone off the rails over the last week and so as a means to get her head back into it I said to come over and join me for salmon and cottage cheese. It was great to sit and have a chat with her about it. Both of us chewed slowly and really savoured the different tastes and textures. I never thought that the amount that we had would satisfy us. I even felt I was getting full with about half a slice to go, so stopped, waited a good 10 minutes to see if I felt full. I didn't so I did finish, which I probably could have done without but that is a lesson learned in itself.

Am looking forward to tomorrow when I can use herbs and spices and salad leaves - especially looking forward to having some celery which I can crunch!

Am now just finishing off with my cranberry bar before heading up to bed. Have logged my food on Food Focus and have come in at 707 calories for the day which I am quite happy with.

All in all, a good day xx

Jo - congratulations on starting RTM. Interesting thoughts on your first meal. I have started planning menus for the first week even though its about 8 weeks away :eek:.

Looking forward to hearing how each day of new tastes goes.

Poor you BL - who'd have though the salmon would get you back :jelous:. Memories eh!

xx

Yeah, TI - I was so worried it owuld put me off Salmon as it is my favourite fish. Fortunately not! I think, I had abstained for so long, 33 weeks or so - that it was just too rich a fish. I only ate about my two fingers worth too....but it just didnt stay where it should have!

Oh well. I love it still, and thats the main thing! :)

So, I've got my dinner planned out for tonight - 130g tuna steak (currently marinating in the fridge with some soy sauce and lime juice) with rocket, watercress and salad leaves - a spoonful of my new favourite food, cottage cheese and a small amount of vlf salad dressing.

It's been a strange day today food thoughts wise though. Whilst I was in abstinence I cooked food for others, thought about food for others and didn't worry about it all. Today though I feel like i have been let off the leash and all the things that I just haven't even thought about have been entering my head, for instance, my OH had some crisps earlier - my initial thought was "well one won't hurt", or "I wonder what that bread tastes like". It's worrying me. That little devil inside me is trying to get the better of me. It won't but the fact that it's still there (I always knew it would be) and so loud at this stage in the game is quite frightening.

I've been logging my foods on Food Focus and I'm already obsessing about calories - I've already discounted my toffee bar for today because it's got 299 calories in it which if I had that with my tuna steak and salad would take me to 781 calories for the day which seems a lot when I keep thinking that I have lived quite happily on 530 for 6 months.

I am essentially a little confused thing today - on one hand I have an urge to stuff my face with all sorts of things and on the other worried about calories.

Is this/me normal?

Jo darling, totally normal, I have all these thoughts too, just still being a bit of an adapted child and following the rules!!! I do want to know how things taste - yesterday most especially if you squizz my journal. I just try to keep it real and hang in and stick to the plan.

Re the toffee bar being 299cal no chance of it being that high. Look on the back of the pack, it is 299 per 100g and a bar is 50g - we wouldnt have been able to have it in abstinence if it was so high! So realistically it is only 150 cal, go ahead and enjoy it!!

I am not sure why all the cravings, I think it is because you know "you can" in a few short weeks eat all these foods. I still find it easier to ignore things at work - my own work, because I know what they taste like, or should, so I don't let my imagination run wild with ooh i could taste soooo amazing, which is probably why I get the urge to taste more in other peoples kitchens, - I don't know what their food tastes like!!!

Sorry for the ramble but just be kind to yourself, do some thought records as to why you are having these feelings. See what is bringing on the urge to taste. Have you set your SMART goals yet for RTM? I found it really helpful. Just reminds me of how far I have come and how much I don't want things to go awry now at this stage of the game. Having said all of that I am peckish today, but it is because I am home and not too busy atm, so been trying to distract myself - this happened on my days off when I was abstaining, so you will probably find it easier during the week.

Big hugs hun

Jez
xx

You're right about the bar! It's 299 calories for 100g! I shall have that for my pudding tonight - yay!

jo
you sound totally normal hun!

i went through the 'ive got to taste everything' phase - i think its normal after abstinence.

ive got over it now tho, lol!

you are doing fine
daisy x

I've had my dinner and tuna steak rocks! Enjoyed the salad especially the watercress and rocket and the crunchy celery.

I errored slightly in that I chopped up a chilli and half of it went in OH's stir fry and the rest in my salad - clearly my taste buds aren't quite ready for it! I ended up drinking best part of a pint of LL sunshine orange to calm my mouth down and now, although I don't think I ate an excessive amount feel really quite full which I think is mainly due to the liquid - that's a lesson in itself.

Won't be having my having my bar just yet as I definitely need my dinner to go down.

I love fresh tuna, have a steak ready for later in the week, it is especially lovely raw or done ceviche (just mariated in citrus to cook)

Still my favourite fish!!

Jez
xx

Oh Jo, your tuna sounds lovely. I do love fish. And regarding all your thoughts, yep you're normal. Just keep taking a step back though before your had reaches out for anything not on plan. Jez is spot on with the smart goals....have a think about it, it will keep you focussed. Good luck hun!!

So, today has been an ok day - I've been distinctly underwhelmed by food all day. Had a skinny latte mid morning as I was out and about and then a banana shake when I got back in the afternoon.

For tea tonight I had about 130g of prawns which were marinated in dijon mustard, garlic and lemon juice. Had those with cottage cheese, rocket, watercress and celery.

Enjoyed it but not as much as previous meals, don't know why but I wasn't particularly interested in dinner tonight. Have been more looking forward to my toffee bar!

I've decided I would be quite happy having foodpacks for either 3 a day and a meal in the evening or just eating when I go out for dinner/round to friends. It's odd but it just doesn't bother me at the moment.

I think I am also looking forward to adding some more exciting veggies next week.

So, in summary another meal which I am slightly underwhelmed by...

Well, after a 24 hour hiatus I'm back!

It was an interesting and fun day yesterday - I was invited to the press night of Breakfast at Tiffany's with Anna Friel and to the aftershow party. This was something I was not going to turn down!

Left work at lunchtime yesterday and got changed into my new slinky grey silk Jaegar dress (bargain at Cheshire Oaks - £250 originally down to £48!) and felt quite good. I knew that food was going to be difficult so had already decided that if I wasn't going to eat well I would remain abstinent as I am still in ketosis so wouldn't be hungry anyway. I'd had my shake in the morning as per usual and took a bar for the train - I was planning to have my last 2 packs if necessary late when I got back.

Got to the Haymarket Theatre and was ushered downstairs to the bar where I had already placed my drink order of still water! The star spotting started at this point (and forgive me if I name drop but it was the coolest evening I think I have ever had!) with Gayle Platt from Corrie (tiny). Went into take our seats and I then saw Ruby Wax and Rupert Everett (lovely handsome man and he doesn't have a frozen botoxed face!) adn David Thewlis. In the interval saw Richard E Grant. Play was great, really enjoyed it and thought Anna Friel was very good and she has the tiniest waist I've ever seen.

Afterwards we wandered down to the Haymarket Hotel where the really glam bit started and the celebs were out in force. Saw Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, Cilla Black, Paul O'Grady, Gloria Hunniford, Rachel Stevens, Ken Stott and an actress that was in Spooks (character name Christine Dale - no idea what her real name is!)

There were canapes going round which I didn't touch - HOWEVER, and I make this admission now I did have 2 glasses of champagne. It was a completely adult decision and I did it consciously. This was not the sort of occasion that I go to all the time and it was fabulously glamorous. I have not eaten or drunk through a variety of birthdays, anniversaries, BBQs etc over the last 6 months and did not lapse once in abstinence. This felt different, I did not need to have champagne but I wanted one and understood the effect that it will/might have on my losses (if any) this week. The difference between now and being on any other diet was that in the past I would have scoffed any canapes that happened to pass my way and drunk as much champagne as I could have done. I stopped myself at two and was pleased with that.

What I did learn though (apart from 2 glasses makes me distinctly squiffy these day!) is that when I've had a drink I get a massive carb craving. I recognised this when I was on the train on the way home and had a huge craving for a sandwich. I think this is a useful lesson learned.

Sorry if this has turned into a bit of a ramble and somehow I feel I need to justify my decision to have a drink last night which is ridiculous as I don't. It was a rational adult decision although I do still feel slightly weak willed for doing it - odd.

Anyhoo - tonight has been back to the tuna steak, cottage cheese and salad as I am off to Pilates very shortly. I wasn't going to go as I only got 3 hours sleep last night (in at 3am and alarm off at 6am!) but think I will feel better if I go.

Hope you're all well xx

Back