JUDDD 2.0 The Return

This explains it perfectly for me Intermittent Fasting, Stress and Anxiety | The IF Life so definitely not going to fast until I have calmed down, the mentally obsessing part is very much me anyway, I am an overthinker!

That's really interesting. I have low grade ever present anxiety due to my kidney disease ( it actually causes anxiety. I'm not anxious about it) and some days IF I have felt very wired and weird and had to eat to calm it down. I never knew why until I read that. I thought it was low blood sugar but now I think it was a stress response.

The very weirdest thing is I am not normally an anxious person at all and I am certainly not the type that runs around saying how stressed I am all the time, maybe I should let it out more? I don't feel especially stressed at the mo mentally, but my body is sending out some signal or other. I was looking into adrenaline fatigue as well as I hadn't been feeling great before my holiday and came home with a bunch of supplements to take, it could be just the activity of the last few months catching up with me I suppose.

In other news I am now 11.4/15 on the holiday weight saga so very pleased with that, can't see I will make it all off for the end of the month but I certainly have broken the back of it now.

My anxiety comes out with illnesses more then me actually feeling it. I get ill every winter cos I think my body can't cope anymore and the winters here are savage and I have to be outside a huge amount of the time. I bottle stuff up too and usually OH gets it over "nothing" cos I store up grievances for months then blow up over the last straw. :rolleyes: I do wonder if dieting long term can create a chemical imbalance in our bodies too but I have no idea if that's scientifically possible. Yesterday I went out for the day with OH and we went for lunch and I realised I was absolutely starving. If I'd been at home I wouldn't have had anything to eat. I did wonder, at the time, if I do that on a regular basis. IF only works if it's intermittent. Maybe your calories are too low on your UD so you body is under stress most of the time instead of intermittently? It could lead to adrenaline fatigue especially with what's been going on there. xx

My anxiety comes out with illnesses more then me actually feeling it. I get ill every winter cos I think my body can't cope anymore and the winters here are savage and I have to be outside a huge amount of the time. I bottle stuff up too and usually OH gets it over "nothing" cos I store up grievances for months then blow up over the last straw. :rolleyes: I do wonder if dieting long term can create a chemical imbalance in our bodies too but I have no idea if that's scientifically possible. Yesterday I went out for the day with OH and we went for lunch and I realised I was absolutely starving. If I'd been at home I wouldn't have had anything to eat. I did wonder, at the time, if I do that on a regular basis. IF only works if it's intermittent. Maybe your calories are too low on your UD so you body is under stress most of the time instead of intermittently? It could lead to adrenaline fatigue especially with what's been going on there. xx

Just had a long chat with OH at lunchtime about this and he brought up how focused I have been on getting my holiday weight off, I've lost nearly 12lbs of it and when I think about it I did pull out all the stops to get it off, thats a lot in 16 days!

You could be on to something regarding the UD cals, as I didn't have any UD's at all the first week back except drinks at the weekend...empty calories from booze really, everything else has been an MD or less food wise, he also commented on that he's never liked the idea of me going for very long periods of time without eating and he's happy I am laying off it for now. I think you've hit the nail on the head with the intermittent bit, looking back I was happiest and more successful on JUDDD when I stopped interfering in it, i.e. just fasted every other day and didn't think too much about other days, lately I've been far too extreme in my approach, even on UD's trying to limit my intake, it's not good and this is where it's got me. So hopefully this will serve as useful info to anyone who's tempted to take IF too far.

I also believe now, looking back at my stats I was not eating enough on UD's and thats when my "failed fasts" started and then my weight just went all over the place, that of course was the beginning of the stress factor, I just thought I was failing at dieting yet again, not that my body was shouting warnings from the rooftops and ploughed on regardless. In the end I wasn't eating properly any days!

This really has been a big wake up call for me, after only a couple of days of following SW (mainly because I think my body needs lots of healthy stuff at the moment), I am astonished at how little I can eat in a sitting, sometimes only managing half a portion. It's really brought home to me that I have a lot of work to do to feel well again.

I am the same as you, I save stuff up and have a twice yearly blow out with OH, he's well use to it now and doesn't take them particularly seriously any more, I shall have to review my tactics! :p

Just had a long chat with OH at lunchtime about this and he brought up how focused I have been on getting my holiday weight off, I've lost nearly 12lbs of it and when I think about it I did pull out all the stops to get it off, thats a lot in 16 days!

You could be on to something regarding the UD cals, as I didn't have any UD's at all the first week back except drinks at the weekend...empty calories from booze really, everything else has been an MD or less food wise, he also commented on that he's never liked the idea of me going for very long periods of time without eating and he's happy I am laying off it for now. I think you've hit the nail on the head with the intermittent bit, looking back I was happiest and more successful on JUDDD when I stopped interfering in it, i.e. just fasted every other day and didn't think too much about other days, lately I've been far too extreme in my approach, even on UD's trying to limit my intake, it's not good and this is where it's got me. So hopefully this will serve as useful info to anyone who's tempted to take IF too far.

I also believe now, looking back at my stats I was not eating enough on UD's and thats when my "failed fasts" started and then my weight just went all over the place, that of course was the beginning of the stress factor, I just thought I was failing at dieting yet again, not that my body was shouting warnings from the rooftops and ploughed on regardless. In the end I wasn't eating properly any days!

This really has been a big wake up call for me, after only a couple of days of following SW (mainly because I think my body needs lots of healthy stuff at the moment), I am astonished at how little I can eat in a sitting, sometimes only managing half a portion. It's really brought home to me that I have a lot of work to do to feel well again.

I am the same as you, I save stuff up and have a twice yearly blow out with OH, he's well use to it now and doesn't take them particularly seriously any more, I shall have to review my tactics! :p

My loss slowed once I started thinking too hard about it too. I also got very edgy. On UD's if I'm hungry I eat and I will eat until I 'm full witn no calorie counting and then I stop no matter what time it is and do a DD from then on.( if the next day is a dd) ie yesterday I finished eating at 3 pm and had nothing until tonight. It seems to be working better then the grinding 36 hour starvation bouts. I feel better in myself too. I also find my portion sizes are child like and I get full before I finish the food. I think that's a side effect of the fasting and having very little on DD. I find I have to have a lot of veg or salad on my plate to have a hope of eating everything. I can no longer eat pasta and chips on the same plate etc.

LOL @ OH's - mine copped it today. He's now sulking in bed with a headache:D

I was down again this morning 13/15 since 10th August I am very pleased, feeling a little better today as well. The last few days I've been having at least half my plate full of veggies and just snacking on fruit and ff yog's if needed, although not needed much to be honest.

Lb I think you are dead right about the 36 hour fasts if/when I go back to JUDDD I would be more interested in doing the 24 hour ones rather than the big ones as it's worth noting that if you do 4:3 it means you are actually not eating or eating very little for 108 hours/168 per week, no wonder my OH was getting hacked off with it and then theres me trying to restrict what I was eating in the remaining UD's 60 hours, god no wonder I am not well.

I was down again this morning 13/15 since 10th August I am very pleased, feeling a little better today as well. The last few days I've been having at least half my plate full of veggies and just snacking on fruit and ff yog's if needed, although not needed much to be honest.

Lb I think you are dead right about the 36 hour fasts if/when I go back to JUDDD I would be more interested in doing the 24 hour ones rather than the big ones as it's worth noting that if you do 4:3 it means you are actually not eating or eating very little for 108 hours/168 per week, no wonder my OH was getting hacked off with it and then theres me trying to restrict what I was eating in the remaining UD's 60 hours, god no wonder I am not well.

I'm not surprised you are ill. I wonder what your daily calories would average this month? You've lost more then someone doing a vlcd. I find the 24 hour full fast except fluids more doable. They feel less like deprivation and more like they are doing something that I can live with and will work for life. The 36 hour ones are a torment to be got through. Even if I'm not hungry they are very anti social and OH hates it when I say I can't eat cos I'm on a DD and find I still am the next day too! I think 36 hour ones were supposed to work for a 5:2 type schedule not alternate day fasting. I decided to keep my alternate days when I realised I hate doing the full 36 hour ones. I just find it comforting that I can eat after 5 pm even if I don't eat much and it feels better not going to bed hungry. :)

Yeah it's easy to see why we both felt attracted to the fast 5 plan rather than JUDDD, I am not going to lie, I never really found JUDDD that easy, even when I was in the swing of it earlier in the year.

Moonwatcher has been helping me track points with WW as I knew nothing about how that worked, even though I am technically following SW ( so is DH, he just doesn't know it, but he's more than a stone on as well this last couple of months), so although I am not tracking cals, my points on WW suggest between 11-1200 cals on average per day, I was surprised by this as I always felt on SW I ate too much, but clearly not, the first week back from holiday I bet I didn't eat even 900 cals a day, I should know better at my age than to be going that low.

I do agree with you if you are doing the 5:2 regime then the full day fasts are prob necessary, but for 4:3 or AD's then I think the 24 hours is enough, I always seemed to get through 24 hours great and enjoyed breaking my fast on full UD/DD I was never really that hungry on UD's and thats what started the problems I'd say.

WW drove me insane. I joined online and gave up after a week of it. They are still hounding me months later. I hated the tracking and their ads on the TV are so twee they made me want to throw up. :D Interesting your calories weren't that high tho cos I always thought I ate a ton on SW tho I did lose a pound a week on it. I'm not that keen on all the cooking that goes with SW. Our kitchen is in the process of being re-fitting and it is purgatory in there now. I am going to stick to JUDDD but just do 24 hour fasts. It must work or I wouldn't have lost what I have. It is slower but I prefer that to hunger, counting, tracking or paying huge sums to weight loss companies ;)

Last edited:
Well weigh in today and I am 3.2 down for the week, not even a full week as I only switched from JUDDD (after 3 up days) on Sunday, so was very pleased at weigh in this morning, my challenge for August was to get my holiday gain of 15 lbs off ( well it was 14.2 lbs technically) and I think we'll call it a a success as I now have a total of 13.6 lbs off since I came back on 10th August. A little worried about the weekend though but we'll see how we get on, I was glad to read in a SW article that saving syns for the weekend is absolutely fine, I had always thought this was a grey area but it seems not, this week I've really upped my water intake, hasn't felt like a diet at all this week and no complaints from OH on the evening meals either so overall a great first week.

Still tracking points with WW app as well, there appears to be little/no difference in what I am doing on either plan and health wise I am feeling an awful lot better, anxiety levels have lowered dramatically and normal could be just round the corner.

Not much to report this weekend, may have gone a bit mad on the vodkas on Thursday, so my syns for the week and now a bit depleted oh well thats what I get for being a booze pig yet again!.

Weight bounce minimal, just 1.4lbs, thats nothing for me for a weekend, last week, my food wasn't good and my bounce was over 3lbs so I am pleased that at least I kept my food in check and it's paid off on the scales.

Stayed home yesterday as there were more protests planned, seems like there was only little trouble and not much of a turnout again, fingers crossed this curfew gets lifted soon

Hi Lanarkwitch :wavey:

Well done on your loss this week & getting rid of the holiday gain :)

Wow, sounds as though you've had a stressful time lately! If that was me I'd so be comfort eating. How are things at the moment?

X

Hey Emmster!

Yeah holiday gain almost gone thank god, but the stress of all this crap going on here has really tipped me over the edge anxiety wise, it wasn't sensible to carry on with IF until I felt better, I do feel better this week and I do prefer JUDDD as a diet option but right now I need to focus on health and nutrition, and as the weight is falling off following SW/WW ( yes both at the same time LOL, I am counting WW points as an experiment though) I will continue with it for now and then start getting back into a few 24 hour fasts when I feel more able for it.

Egypt has calmed down a bit, I think the pending world war 3 in Syria is taking the heat out of it, but in all honesty I am praying daily for a move somewhere else.

I hope you can get a different location asap LW - it not good living under constant stress and anxiety. :( Well done on the fabulous losses tho. xx

Back