Just curious.....

kazz

Gold Member
with all you brides & brides to be I'm sure you can answer!

I know that weddings cost the earth, but what would you say would be the cheapest it could be done for, but stil wit having the a really fab day?

I have one friend who decided to go to spain to get married cos it was cheaper, ended up hiring a small castle for a week at a cost of £10k, and in the end spent £35k on the whole thing.....

I have another friend who spent £12k on her second wedding...it all just seems so much!

Hiya, congratulations on your forthcoming nuptials! Are you getting married this year? I got married last year. Had planned to go abroad but A) I don't think it would have been much cheaper B) Not everyone is able to afford to go to celebrate with you. So decided to do it here. The only way I found to keep the cost right down was to keep the number of guests to the ceremony and Wedding breakfast low and have a bigger party in the evening. The evening started earlier to compensate as there were lots to meet and greet and I wanted time to boogie too! The other thing is not to worry too much about the little things as these are what bump the cost up and honestly no one ever noticed the things that you think would matter the most. For example, I made the favours by buying the boxes from Tesco and ordered Thornton chocolates on line. Simple, cheap and effective. I ordered the cake from M&S for a snip too - I did it on the quiet too as I felt a little bit embarresed until I found out how many people have their cakes from M&S. We received so many comments on how lovely it was too. The only thing I wouldn't scrimp on is a good photograper oh and flowers but you can hunt around for a good price for these! Good luck!

SSSSssssshhh I havent OFFICIALLY got forthcoming nuptuals!!

It is being spoken about but he will have to get down on bended knee first before it goes any further!
To be honest, I have friends & acquaintances that have planned weddings for 2 or 3 years & stressed about it for that long & that sooo wouldnt be me. I'd want it done sharpish, cos I am that impatient!

My mate (the 12K one!) binned her photographer to keep her costs down, 6 months later a family friend that promised to make the wedding album for her still hasnt managed to do it...so I am mega with you on that one!

Since hes been on about it, I've been kinda thinking about the logistics of the whole thing, its a bloody nightmare! Maybe I'll just tell him to forget about it!

I did mine on a £200 tax rebate ... :rolleyes:

That's the truth ... but it WAS my second marriage, register office, a dozen guests, no frills (but I had a fab day nonetheless).

DD2 got married in 2005 on a budget of about £5K and that included a lovely dress, church wedding, finger buffet, evening disco, limo hire - the lot.

Depends on what you want I suppose but there are plenty of ways to cut corners without being tacky if you're prepared to do a bit of work yourself. Akersv offered some good suggestions. :)

RD 5k?? Now that sounds like a bargain! I dont think I'd quite manage a 200 quid wedding, but it would be cool!

I know the most important thing about it would be having the important people there and that the rest would just be trimmings really, and I also know my parents would contribute to the cost to some degree. Yea, as Akersv said there are ways to cut corners & I am sure there are plenty more as well....my mum has always said if one of us got married she would love to have the reception at the house because the gardens are humongous, but I honestly think that could nearly rival a hotel reception when it all comes down to cost!

Opp's sorry! I thought you had been proposed to a chirmbo! LOL - I waited 5 years for my OH to ask! Worth it in the end tho!

The logistics of it can be mad but I honestly think that you can do it on minimal effort too. My advice would be to plan (when he asks!) well in advance. My SIL got engaged in the October and married the following Sept. She put herself under enormous pressure in just a few months to organise everything. i sweare she nearly exploded at one point then she was worrying about it all through the day! I on the other hand booked the venue 18 months in advance and picked and put down the organising when I felt like it. That way you can get some bargins cos you can look in bridal sales and have a peep around Bridal fayres for ideas too. The only bit that I stressed over really was on the day before but that's natural. The important bit is that you can relax on the day not worry whether the flowers on the cake match your bouquet or the napkins!! LOL

Opps! Missed off saying the photo's of your wedding were fabulous Fay - you looked beautiful xx

Opp's sorry! I thought you had been proposed to a chirmbo! LOL - I waited 5 years for my OH to ask! Worth it in the end tho!

The logistics of it can be mad but I honestly think that you can do it on minimal effort too. My advice would be to plan (when he asks!) well in advance. My SIL got engaged in the October and married the following Sept. She put herself under enormous pressure in just a few months to organise everything. i sweare she nearly exploded at one point then she was worrying about it all through the day! I on the other hand booked the venue 18 months in advance and picked and put down the organising when I felt like it. That way you can get some bargins cos you can look in bridal sales and have a peep around Bridal fayres for ideas too. The only bit that I stressed over really was on the day before but that's natural. The important bit is that you can relax on the day not worry whether the flowers on the cake match your bouquet or the napkins!! LOL

Well he did ask....a couple of months ago, but he has been flat broke so as of yet there is no ring in sight and I refuse to be engaged without a ring!

I got married in Gretna Green 41/2 years ago.....it cost us £300 that includedthe 2 witnesses they supplies..the photgrapher cost £80..we did our own album....had a bit of a do at Home when we returned from Scotland.....buffet for 50-60 guests...£190 done by myself and the café at the end of the road. My dress was lovely (album of some pics on my facebook. link below)....so we had a wonderful wedding and do..on a budget.

Good for you! I'm sure you'll see some bling soon! LOL

We're spending about 6k but it is totally our dream wedding.

We are getting married next August at Edinburgh Zoo - we're having a civil ceremony in the mansion house there for 60 guests, then sit down meal, with a big party in the evening with a band & disco.

If you plan in advance you'll find ways of cutting costs, particularly if you call in favours and work out what is really important to you.

I'm having a lovely Maggie Sottero big white dress which was over £1k in shops here, but I'm being a big naughty and getting it from the US for roughly £300. Ebay is a godsend too - bought my veil for a fiver!

Our biggest sacrifice is not planning on a honeymoon, but think we'll ask for money as gifts from people to put towards a honeymoon on our first anniversary.

Good luck!

We are planning our wedding on a budget too! The best advice I have already is.... get married out of peak season... e.g March or April usually around 30% off EVERYTHING! Ask venues if they do a discount for off peak? They may not state they have but they will do!

Also Alfred Angelo do beautiful wedding dresses at around £500-£600 and they are absolute STUNNERS!!!! If you are gonna get married this year look in the Jan sales for wedding dresses!

xx

My friend spent 10thousand on her wedding with a castle and transport ,flowers,the dress woo it was a real fairy tale wedding .I spent about £150 i have the happiest merrories of the day my album was made up by everyone they all sent me copies of there photos and im still married after nearly 10 years .my friends lasted almost a year 2 if you accually take into account the divoce took a year .My advice remember it is who you are marring not how xxxx best of luck hope your day is as happy as mine was shop around to get the day you want ask friend and family to help you along the way and always remember if you love them and have your friends and family around it will be the happiest day ever xxxx

SSSSssssshhh I havent OFFICIALLY got forthcoming nuptuals!!

It is being spoken about but he will have to get down on bended knee first before it goes any further!
To be honest, I have friends & acquaintances that have planned weddings for 2 or 3 years & stressed about it for that long & that sooo wouldnt be me. I'd want it done sharpish, cos I am that impatient!

My mate (the 12K one!) binned her photographer to keep her costs down, 6 months later a family friend that promised to make the wedding album for her still hasnt managed to do it...so I am mega with you on that one!

Since hes been on about it, I've been kinda thinking about the logistics of the whole thing, its a bloody nightmare! Maybe I'll just tell him to forget about it!

Hey Miss Karen - what the heck ??!!!!

FABBY news hun......CONGRATS !!!

hope you and Chloe are well and had great Christmas :D

love

Debz xx

congratulations :)

Ours was working out at 5k not including the honeymoon and that was for a church wedding with vintage care, 60guests to the day meal and 120gusts at the evening meal but it's actually worked out at 9k coz we decided to add extras like a harpist during the meal, the dress of my dreams at over £1000, more expensive wedding favours, more expensive wedding cars, more exotic wedding bouquet, cream suits instead of black little things like that and it soon adds up. My best friend is getting married in May and her budget is 5k too and she's having the day of her dreams too :)

I'm from the USA haha so I am not sure what people really pay for weddings in the UK and elsewhere.. I do know, that in my area the average cost for a wedding is around $22,000 soo with the euro being about 1.37 to the US dollar. you do the math lol They are insane here. I estimate my wedding to be between $20,000 and $30,000.....eeeeek...i could buy a new car with that money lol

Ok weddings must be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much cheaper in the UK!!!!

Im in Ireland and the average wedding is between 25 - 30k

Thats NORMAL - nothing over the top lavish (well imo anyway!!) :)

Afraid to say what ours is costing....

Back