Just started Atkins..

Morning, can I crash in? I've been doing CD since the start of August and have done ok, my problem is wine and cider. But I've decided to start Atkins, I've done it before and it helped to maintain and I lost a bit more. Think I'll try it until after christmas and see how it goes.
Good luck everyone whatever you end up doing..

Hi Percy, I don't think the cider will be good, but I drank red wine (still do) all through induction on Atkins, no problem. :) Well, the problem was to learn to sip and not gulp having been a beer drinker for many years. ;)

Thanks Jim, just had 12 bottles of red delivered so should be ok! I saw your photo's before and you have done so well. Was that all with atkins?

Yes it was Percy, I tried everything else to no avail mate, then one day I read an article in the paper and thought, OK, I can eat meat, I can eat loads of green veggies and still loose weight. I don't have to go hungry? I'll give that a try, and it worked and is still working now. :)

Thanks Jim, how long did it take you? I've only got a couple of stone left to go, lost 54lb on CD. Just need steak and Bacon now....and if I can have a couple of glasses of red at the weekend, even better!

From induction to maint was about 3 1/2 or maybe 4 years Percy, I'll be honest and say I was really worried about going into maint initially, but it was OK. I still don't eat a lot of bad stuff, you know cakes and stuff, and I wouldn't touch a banana. I do eat chips and bread a couple of times a week with no problem. I don't drink beer any more and I'm not into chocolate frankly, so maybe it's been easy for me.

Not too bad then. I'm not really into bread or potatoes, and I don't really have a sweet tooth. i think the reason for putting on weight in the first place was, skipping breakfast, bad choices for lunch and dinner at 8pm with at least 4 pints to wash it down.
I have mostly got out of drinking, have a few frid/sat but that's it really.
I.m definately going to give it a go.

just want to say im reading both your posts, and you guys are very inspirational. Welldone to both of you!!
and Jim i have to say i really admire that you knew that this process was not a short term solution, and that fact that you have taken 3 1/2 to 4 years to get to maintain, actualy inspires me, because its shows that youve made a life change, and your are going to be like this for the rest of your life. Huge Welldone to you Jim. x

Cheers Dani :) It's nice to get praised.

Percy, I just over ate, it's that simple. I was fine whilst I was in the Army, all that regular exercise, but once I retired from it, wow. I ate just like I always did, including midnight binge eating and stuff. No breakfast no lunch very often and then I'd eat 2 days worth of food in the evening. Now that's pretty much the opposite way round. I tend to have a large breakfast, decent lunch but just a small dinner in the evening.

Sounds like the way I'll do it. I work from home and don't get out a lot, that doesn't help. I do feel better now though than I have for years.
Excercise seems the way forward, my son has been in the RAF for almost 10 months, he was a couple of stone overweight when he joined, lost that in basic training of course, and is now on every team, Rugby, Basketball etc known to man.
I'm already looking forward to bacon and egg for breakfast tomorrow and I'm cooking some chicken portions so I can take them in the car with me for my long days out...Although I'm at home alot, I'm a rep and travel up and down the country. Saying that I had an easy week this week, only out 2 days, but still managed 760 miles!
Well done.

Well if your ever in the vicinity of North Birmingham give me a shout Percy and I'll treat you to lunch at my favourite Cafe. :)

Same to you Percy, see you Monday mate.

Wow, really enjoyed reading your exchanges Jim and Percy, all good stuff, I have been having a couple of CD shakes and then a low carb meal in the evening, feeling Ok with it all.

Very inspirational both of you, you have a sinilar amount to lose as I do Jim, I have done 4 stone almost, but it has slowed right down as I still feel indecisive about what to do next...

Thanks Diet 4-40, I've been struggling for years. Love food, love drink, love looking after folk. I will get there, think and kind of hope Jim will give me the last bit of inspiration I need. I really do want to finish a diet this time, infact, I need to. Your'e doing very well yourself, keep going, I'm sure we'll all find it's been worth the rather turbulent journey in the end.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend...

Hi Guys.

Our office party was great, but I ate and drank way to much. ;( So I'm on strict induction again. The one thing that baffles me about Atkins or probably LC in general is how quickly you can gain weight again if you go off plan. OK one night of eating badly and drinking beer and stuff and I put on 8lbs, now that is just stupid isn't it. Still 2 days of strict induction and I've lost half of that already. :)

Morning, you'll have that off in no time. I've managed to do atkins all weekend and also stayed off the Cider. Did have a few glasses of wine though. I'm gong to do my best not to get on the scales until Friday, but I already feel better and the families happy that I'm eating with them again...It's a win win situation.

Hi Percy, oh yes I'm sure I'll be back to posted weight by Friday mate. I need to read up on the Cambridge Diet, that's what you were on wasn't it? I agree with eating with the Family as well (the wife that is, our kids are long gone) I generally eat what she is having less the potato's or paste etc. I always have an extra veggie portion or 2. :)

CD is a lot like LL, I was having 3 packs a day. 2 milkshake and 1 soup. Completley fed up with it, although the weight did fall off.
I think with Christmas coming up I'm being realistic, I don't want to undo the good results, just fancied having a life...
Our boys are 21 and 14. The eldest is in the RAF, and the youngest still here. When he's ready to fly the nest, we would like to go and live abroad, but we'll see what happens at the time.

Back